The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The Tsunami killed something like 20,000 people - it put the tiny risk caused by the reactors in perspective.
Original post by @*=-+1!<>6
No it really isn't, we are not discussing the health consequences.

Ah, so it's purely a financial thing. In that case, you don't have a leg to stand on, renewable sources are immensely expensive in comparison to nuclear power.

All motion based sources (wind, tide etc.) rely heavily on 'rare earth metals', as the name suggests, these are rare and of finite quantity.

Ok cool, so at least in terms of those events in the past decade the only incident that has cost lives outside of the nuclear plant has been Fukushima. And aside from the steam explosion the only fatalities caused in that period were due to human error.
Reply 43
Original post by ExcessNeo
Ok cool, so at least in terms of those events in the past decade the only incident that has cost lives outside of the nuclear plant has been Fukushima. And aside from the steam explosion the only fatalities caused in that period were due to human error.

:yep: That's correct.
Reply 44
Ah, finally a balanced and reasoned response. I don't think it can be either or, we just need to minimise reliance on nuclear, it seems wastfull to pump huge amounts into it.

I'm sorry, did you ignore my original reply? I clearly stated that Nuclear and renewables both have their place in the UK's energy generation; you've just chosen to ignore it because I'm in favour of greater investment in Nuclear energy generation capacity.
Original post by Mad Vlad
The seawater damage was as a result of total loss of coolant. Seawater injection was the only option to cool the reactor. Had it been not necessary to use seawater, there would have been no core damage as the backup diesels would have been functioning. The use of seawater is the effect of the loss of cooling. The core damage is the effect of the loss of cooling. The two are inextricably linked.

Sorry to derail the thread a little but do you know why they're still pumping seawater into the reactors? Surely they must've cooled down by now...?

It's also worth emphasising that the Nuclear Industry is arguably the safest industry in the world.

If this is the case then insurance can cover the costs.

The taxpayer doesn't need to be exposed to the risks of clean up, even if the potential costs of clean up run into the billions, the nuclear industry should be able to get quite low insurance premiums when they show insurers the exemplary safety record of nuclear energy.
Reply 47
Original post by GlibByNature
Sorry to derail the thread a little but do you know why they're still pumping seawater into the reactors? Surely they must've cooled down by now...?

You have to continue to pump coolant in to keep it cool. Remember, the fuel within these reactors are still generating a significant amount of decay heat, in the range of ~100-1000kWt.
Reply 48
Clearly not worth reading past this howler.

Did you get the sarcasm?

No?

Your original post read as though (like the "bankers" caused the "credit crunch") that the nuclear industry caused the disaster.

I know its hard to convey sarcasm in text from. But really? You didn't think that I was being at all sarcastic in that statement???? What if I said "I didn't know the sky was green!" would you actually think I thought you were informing me that it actually was, and this came at a surprise, or taking the piss because you implied that it was?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by MagicNMedicine
If this is the case then insurance can cover the costs.

The taxpayer doesn't need to be exposed to the risks of clean up, even if the potential costs of clean up run into the billions, the nuclear industry should be able to get quite low insurance premiums when they show insurers the exemplary safety record of nuclear energy.

Insurers refuse to insure Nuclear Power Plants simply because while accidents on the scale of Chernobyl are ridiculously unlikely, the risks the insurer would be exposed to should it happen are unacceptable. Besides, it's far less expensive to just adopt good safety practices and redundant systems than it would be to pay a "comprehensive" insurance policy.
Reply 50
Original post by WelshBluebird
Infact, more modern cooling systems would cope 100% with what happened at Fukushima.

I figured they would, but they should have retro-fitted some kind of solution onto Fukushima.

Now we just need to think about what else could have gone wrong, and fix that!
Reply 51
Original post by Hanvyj
I figured they would, but they should have retro-fitted some kind of solution onto Fukushima.

Now we just need to think about what else could have gone wrong, and fix that!

They couldn't. Passive safety systems require a completely different design.
Insurers refuse to insure Nuclear Power Plants simply because while accidents on the scale of Chernobyl are ridiculously unlikely, the risks the insurer would be exposed to should it happen are unacceptable. Besides, it's far less expensive to just adopt good safety practices and redundant systems than it would be to pay a "comprehensive" insurance policy.

So who is going to over the costs if it goes wrong? Do the energy companies themselves have the money to cover it?

Or is it a case of "if it goes wrong, the taxpayer foots the bill"
I'm sorry, did you ignore my original reply? I clearly stated that Nuclear and renewables both have their place in the UK's energy generation; you've just chosen to ignore it because I'm in favour of greater investment in Nuclear energy generation capacity.

No didn't ignore, while you made the same valid points it was hidden amougnst irrelavent and questionable points.
The seawater damage was as a result of total loss of coolant. Seawater injection was the only option to cool the reactor. Had it been not necessary to use seawater, there would have been no core damage as the backup diesels would have been functioning. The use of seawater is the effect of the loss of cooling. The core damage is the effect of the loss of cooling. The two are inextricably linked.

Quite, however if we ignore the sea water damage they would still be unrecoverable. Going in circles on this one but either way the point remains it wasn't superficial damage.
Reply 56
Original post by MagicNMedicine
So who is going to over the costs if it goes wrong? Do the energy companies themselves have the money to cover it?

Or is it a case of "if it goes wrong, the taxpayer foots the bill"

The operator of the plant has strict and exclusive liability for anything that happens at the affected site. The operators have third party liability insurance to pay for damages caused by any accident and have to absorb the costs of fixing (or in the case of Fukushima Dai-ichi, decommissioning) the damage at their site.

[EDIT] Interestingly, I've just done a little more research into this topic and it turns out that some insurers do provide "fully comp" policies for modern, western designed reactors as they're deemed to be such small risks that they end up being enormous cash cows.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 57
No didn't ignore, while you made the same valid points it was hidden amougnst irrelavent and questionable points.

I fail to see the irrelevance here, I was presenting the facts that you forgot to include to make your argument compelling.

Quite, however if we ignore the sea water damage they would still be unrecoverable. Going in circles on this one but either way the point remains it wasn't superficial damage.

I don't see your point here - I've already said that the seawater damage and the core damage are inextricably linked by the loss of cooling. :s-smilie:
The operator of the plant has strict and exclusive liability for anything that happens at the affected site. The operators have third party liability insurance to pay for damages caused by any accident and have to absorb the costs of fixing (or in the case of Fukushima Dai-ichi, decommissioning) the damage at their site.

Upto? [Citation Needed]

I don't see your point here - I've already said that the seawater damage and the core damage are inextricably linked by the loss of cooling. :s-smilie:

As i said not important, but i'll try again. inextricably linked yes but had sea water magically not had corrosive properties the overheating alone would have caused irreparable damage.
Something that has confused me about Fukushima is the public’s reaction. When the banks screwed up there was a massive backlash. When Fukushima went tits up the general consensus seemed to be, oh well no one died and we need energy.
Random comparison.

But this view point is missing the glaringly obvious conclusion we should be drawing from Fukushima. The nuclear industry has a big straw man it can attack. Health, they are more than happy for the media to concentrate on this as it’s not a real issue.

per KWh produced Nuclear is historically the safest form of power of all, including wind, solar etc.

What Fukushima shows us is the fact that nuclear isn't commercially viable without government funding and insurance. Fukushima will cost the Japanese government billions upon billions to clean up after they had already ploughed millions into it to get it up and running and eventually decommissioned. So why are we not as disgusted with the nuclear industry as we are with the banks?

This is nonsense and Fukushima showed us nothing of the sort. Not only has TEPCO not gone into insolvency (and thus may well not need government money for cleanup). Furthermore using the example of a 50 year old plant on one of the worlds most active faultlines to argue against the safety of a state of the art plant in a stable area is mindbogglingly dumb.

In many countries the Nuclear Power industry is not even subsidised. The 8 new NPPs in the UK that are due to begin construction over the next few years are also not in any way publicly funded.

It’s not like we have another option with the banks, but with nuclear we do and what’s more nuclear is a dead end. It’s not the answer to our energy requirements, it will never be commercially viable, it’s becoming less and less so and it’s a finite resource.

I work in the Energy Industry, specifically in Oil and Gas. The only alternative for the UK (and most of Europe) to Nuclear power in the next 2 decades is Gas power. Nuclear IS commercially viable - otherwise why are new, unsubsidised plants being built? Nuclear provides cheap, safe and clean power.

So why are we so happy to plough money into a failed industry?

Because Nuclear is only "failed" from the perspective of uneducated reactionaries whose understanding of the issues hovers resolutely at a tabloid level.

The choice the UK has to make is between Nuclear and Gas. It isnt between Nuclear and renewables because a) the technology isnt there and b) even if it were, the engineering problems associated with energy storage and variable generator capacity and power use is basically insurmountable (what do you do if you get a week of cold, overcast, windless days in midwinter?).

We will never be a 100% renewables economy until some distant technological future where we can store and transport electricity (nearly) limitlessly. We are talking 100 years + as that kind of technology is basically inconveivable at present.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending