The Student Room Group

Would I be stupid to apply next year with better grades?

At the moment I'm firming SOTON for an AAB offer. My grades if all goes well should be A*AA or A* A* A (I scored 100% in every exam in Jan). If adjustment didn't work, which it probably wouldn't as I'm applying for a competitive course (Psychology) and university; would applying next year be a stupid idea (fees, waste of time etc...) to apply to universities such as Bristol, Exeter, UCL, Durham and Oxford?

I'm really confused about what I should be doing :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Southamptons a pretty good Uni! I wouldn't say it's worth it for the fees :no:
Dude, Southampton is an aight uni but a degree from Oxford, UCL etc. sets you in MUCH better stead long-term. I'd say bite the bullet with the fees increases and apply for unis more your calibre.
Any differences in future pay or what not will not merit a 6K per year hike in fees you'd have to pay. So to answer your question, yes you would be stupid. And anyways Southampton is a great uni.
Reply 4
Original post by yoyo462001
Any differences in future pay or what not will not merit a 6K per year hike in fees you'd have to pay. So to answer your question, yes you would be stupid. And anyways Southampton is a great uni.

Okay, thanks. I might not, I might talk to my school mentor...
Reply 5
If you feel its the right thing to do for your own personal satisfaction I would say do it. Its your life and if you can justify the higher fees then why not?
Reply 6
Original post by Pheebs1201
If you feel its the right thing to do for your own personal satisfaction I would say do it. Its your life and if you can justify the higher fees then why not?

Good answer too... I see you have an offer for AAB, I believe Bristol offer A*AA-AAB, would it had been possible of me getting an offer with predicted grades AAB when I applied?

I'm going on the basis of hopefully not >_<
under normal circumstances, i'd say no it isn't stupid, and in fact, its a great idea. i took a gap year to improve my grades, and because of that, it seems likely that i will be able to go to southampton next year, but it also depends on how you interview, and your grades now. i rolled out of school with BCC, but i'm guessing you did a little better. on my ucas i said i was doing more a-levels, but with my current situation, i got 2 unconditionals, one being bristol, and 2 conditionals, one being BBC from southampton. so even with not-the-best grades, you still can get into pretty good uni's if you have a strong personal statement and perform well in the interview. it also depends on your course some, like medical or science you may need the better grades. your aspirations wont affect your ucas, but your personal choice. i would advise you to, unless your the son/daughter of a millionaire to rule out oxford, cambridge and maybe others like ucl, durham - that kind. lets face it, if you are considering to take a year out to improve your grades, you wont get into ox-bridge this year. and with the fees set to rise next year, if you try to improve, you will likely be priced-out.if your grades are AAB then you stand a good chance for UCL, Bristol and duhram this year, and you will escape the fee rise but you may not have the finances to go next year. If I were you I’d also question Exeter- they recently closed their archaeology unit, so seem unstable. As they are in financial difficulty, they will charge highest fees. Taking all that into account, I wouldn’t attempt to improve. But whatever you do, always have a safety option a uni that is low budget, or doesn’t require A* across the board in case things go tits up. Hope that helps :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by brunettegirl92
under normal circumstances, i'd say no it isn't stupid, and in fact, its a great idea. i took a gap year to improve my grades, and because of that, it seems likely that i will be able to go to southampton next year, but it also depends on how you interview, and your grades now. i rolled out of school with BCC, but i'm guessing you did a little better. on my ucas i said i was doing more a-levels, but with my current situation, i got 2 unconditionals, one being bristol, and 2 conditionals, one being BBC from southampton. so even with not-the-best grades, you still can get into pretty good uni's if you have a strong personal statement and perform well in the interview. it also depends on your course some, like medical or science you may need the better grades. your aspirations wont affect your ucas, but your personal choice. i would advise you to, unless your the son/daughter of a millionaire to rule out oxford, cambridge and maybe others like ucl, durham - that kind. lets face it, if you are considering to take a year out to improve your grades, you wont get into ox-bridge this year. and with the fees set to rise next year, if you try to improve, you will likely be priced-out.if your grades are AAB then you stand a good chance for UCL, Bristol and duhram this year, and you will escape the fee rise but you may not have the finances to go next year. If I were you I’d also question Exeter- they recently closed their archaeology unit, so seem unstable. As they are in financial difficulty, they will charge highest fees. Taking all that into account, I wouldn’t attempt to improve. But whatever you do, always have a safety option a uni that is low budget, or doesn’t require A* across the board in case things go tits up. Hope that helps :biggrin:

Here's me situation. I have an offer for Southampton of AAB. Those were the predicted grades I applied with in January. However, in January I achieved 100% in each exam and now my predicted grades are A*, A*, A. So my question is, after I do my exams, and if I achieve those grades, should I take a year out and apply next year to a better university, such as Oxbridge, Bristol, Durham etc...
Reply 9
What's wrong with Southampton, exactly? It's a good university.

I'm voting yes for stupid.
If you're really not happy with going there, then no it wouldn't be stupid, lots of people will be in the same position when it comes to fees, it's not like those born a year later are doomed to a life of debt and poverty. Do whatever you'll be happy with
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
stay at soton
and what happens if you get rejected from everywhere you apply, and end up with something that isn't as good as soton?
Reply 13
You woud be stupid to do that. I mean, what if you get rejected next year?
Original post by RobertWhite
Here's me situation. I have an offer for Southampton of AAB. Those were the predicted grades I applied with in January. However, in January I achieved 100% in each exam and now my predicted grades are A*, A*, A. So my question is, after I do my exams, and if I achieve those grades, should I take a year out and apply next year to a better university, such as Oxbridge, Bristol, Durham etc...

ah i see - um, it really depends on your financial situation. i mean, if you will be able to afford it and realistically, you won't be in debt for the rest of your life from it, then it is definitely worth some consideration, but you will have to come from a relatively rich family for it to work. however, on the flip side, it is very risky as you may be priced out of the better uni's, if you don't take your place next year, you may lose southampton completely (or be priced out of there as well). also every year more people cannot get a uni and re-apply the next year, so there will be more competition. if you cant afford oxbridge, then due to the competition, you may lose some of the 'lesser universities' that you later rely on for a place. so you may come out of it with no universities however, this is the worst case scenario and if your grades are as good as you claim this is unlikely. as only you know your family's financial situation. only you can evaluate it if is worth the risk. if you are a medium-income family, i doubt you can afford the extra fees though
just remember, if you do get the grades, and oxbridge and durham do reject you or u can't afford them, you may be left with nothing unless u keep a safety option. southampton is a very good uni, and in some cases i think it is better than oxbridge, even if it doesn't have the name. i dont think it is worth it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15

Two words: student loan.

It's not that stupid but is the difference between Southampton and the other unis worth a year of your life?
Not stupid if you think the new grades will help you onto a better course and enhance your carree options however take into account the rise in fees.... over double the amount of debt which isnt an appealing thing.
This will be the best year to apply because of the fees so i would say if you can get on the course you want with the current grades go for it! even if it means you can get on the the current course then change once your there :smile:
hope this has helped :smile:

morgs x
Reply 17
Original post by Arcanine
You woud be stupid to do that. I mean, what if you get rejected next year?

Don't worry I've thought of that. I'll either pay for another choice or just put SOTON in again, it would suck if I applied again and ended up going to SOTON anyway!
Reply 18
ah i see - um, it really depends on your financial situation. i mean, if you will be able to afford it and realistically, you won't be in debt for the rest of your life from it, then it is definitely worth some consideration, but you will have to come from a relatively rich family for it to work. however, on the flip side, it is very risky as you may be priced out of the better uni's, if you don't take your place next year, you may lose southampton completely (or be priced out of there as well). also every year more people cannot get a uni and re-apply the next year, so there will be more competition. if you cant afford oxbridge, then due to the competition, you may lose some of the 'lesser universities' that you later rely on for a place. so you may come out of it with no universities however, this is the worst case scenario and if your grades are as good as you claim this is unlikely. as only you know your family's financial situation. only you can evaluate it if is worth the risk. if you are a medium-income family, i doubt you can afford the extra fees though
just remember, if you do get the grades, and oxbridge and durham do reject you or u can't afford them, you may be left with nothing unless u keep a safety option. southampton is a very good uni, and in some cases i think it is better than oxbridge, even if it doesn't have the name. i dont think it is worth it.

Thanks for the answer. The fees wouldn't be a problem short term because loans would cover it, but applying next year probably isn't worth the fee increase.
I think you should just concentrate on getting the best grades possible and decide on results day. On results day you can either withdraw or do adjustment and it gives you plenty of time to mull it over.

No one ever wants to sell themselves short but most english unis are going to be so expensive next year and you have a place at Southhampton - in no way is that a crap university! With a good degree, you can do a masters at bristol or durham if you wanted to anyway, AND your a level results will speak for themselves for employers as well.

Just wait till results day and make a decision then, being hasty now might cost you a place altogether! Although if you did want to take a gap year and reapply make sure you make it as productive as possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending