The Student Room Group

What is wrong with ucas??!!

I'm intending to apply during my gap year, and I have just found out how stupid the new 2025 application cycle system is. HELP. I am genuinely facepalming and head-slamming over how bad the new proposed system is. I'm trying to sleep because I have the LNAT exam tomorrow morning at 08:00 but I can't sleep because of how angry I am at this totally stupid change. I do not want to answer these six really silly questions instead of intellectually structuring a genuine and well-reading statement about myself. I can't imagine how beneficial this change actually is—it just broadens the extent of understandability for the average person, but limits the level that you can really show off, instead opting for a more welcoming approach, defeating the whole point of the personal statement section and arguably the whole point of the university application. I'm not sure who is directing these decisions or coming up with these questions, but I know for a fact that they have made the wrong decision.
Original post by Memes For Days
I'm intending to apply during my gap year, and I have just found out how stupid the new 2025 application cycle system is. HELP. I am genuinely facepalming and head-slamming over how bad the new proposed system is. I'm trying to sleep because I have the LNAT exam tomorrow morning at 08:00 but I can't sleep because of how angry I am at this totally stupid change. I do not want to answer these six really silly questions instead of intellectually structuring a genuine and well-reading statement about myself. I can't imagine how beneficial this change actually is—it just broadens the extent of understandability for the average person, but limits the level that you can really show off, instead opting for a more welcoming approach, defeating the whole point of the personal statement section and arguably the whole point of the university application. I'm not sure who is directing these decisions or coming up with these questions, but I know for a fact that they have made the wrong decision.

Are you applying now during your gap year?

The changes to the PS for next year are still being consulted on - they're not finalised yet.

If you want to start in 2025 then why not apply now for deferred entry in 2025? If you don't get an offer that you want to accept then you'll always have the option to reapply next year.
Original post by PQ
Are you applying now during your gap year?

The changes to the PS for next year are still being consulted on - they're not finalised yet.

If you want to start in 2025 then why not apply now for deferred entry in 2025? If you don't get an offer that you want to accept then you'll always have the option to reapply next year.

Yeah I learnt that the changes aren't finalised yet, and they may not actually go ahead with it, as I believe they were planning to change personal statements a few years back and kept delaying it.

The point of my gap year would be so that I could apply with my actual A-level results, so deferred entry would not help me unfortunately.
Original post by Memes For Days
Yeah I learnt that the changes aren't finalised yet, and they may not actually go ahead with it, as I believe they were planning to change personal statements a few years back and kept delaying it.

The point of my gap year would be so that I could apply with my actual A-level results, so deferred entry would not help me unfortunately.

If you're considering a gap year I would strongly recommend applying this year for deferred entry anyway. It's a way to ensure your college has a reference on file for you and to familiarise yourself with UCAS while you have support available from your school/college.

You're under no obligation to accept any offers for deferred entry (or you can accept them and then withdraw in the summer if you get the grades you're hoping for)
Original post by PQ
If you're considering a gap year I would strongly recommend applying this year for deferred entry anyway. It's a way to ensure your college has a reference on file for you and to familiarise yourself with UCAS while you have support available from your school/college.

You're under no obligation to accept any offers for deferred entry (or you can accept them and then withdraw in the summer if you get the grades you're hoping for)

Haha, it's almost like you know my exact plan. I will be applying in this cycle and depending on my A-level results in August, be deciding whether to accept offers or withdraw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending