The Student Room Group

I want to do medicine and I think I will get mediocre AS (NOT A2) grades.

I want to do medicine and I think I will get mediocre AS (NOT A2) grades. Should I not apply at the beginning of year 13 ( I am currently year 12) and wait until I do my A2 exams and hopefully do better, then apply with my A2 grades instead of my AS grades ?

Also, will my AS grades hinder my application, even if I do well in A2 levels ? ( I study in England)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Kaladin1384
I want to do medicine and I think I will get mediocre AS (NOT A2) grades. Should I not apply at the beginning of year 13 ( I am currently year 12) and wait until I do my A2 exams and hopefully do better, then apply with my A2 grades instead of my AS grades ?

Also, will my AS grades hinder my application, even if I do well in A2 levels ? ( I study in England)

Your AS grades will impact your UCAS predicted grades so you may struggle to get offers from med schools. Also you won't hopefully do better, you will do better through hard work or you will remain at a mediocre level.
Deferred entry could be an option as you will have a year to do your work experience which you need to get into med school and if your grades aren't what you want them to be you can resit. The only thing is that med schools are super strict with resits.
Reply 2
So, let's say I don't get any offers the fist time but I smash my A2 exams at the end of year 13. Then can I apply again once the next cycle comes along?

And will the fact that I didn't get any offers the first time hinder my second application?

(Thanks for the reply by the way 🙏 😊)
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
So, let's say I don't get any offers the fist time but I smash my A2 exams at the end of year 13. Then can I apply again once the next cycle comes along?

And will the fact that I didn't get any offers the first time hinder my second application?

U can re apply the next year but there are also other ways where you can still apply to some med schools this year as long as the predicted grades are not horrible, but even then there are some med schools that do not look at predicted grades like Aston or Keele (there are some more but i cant remember them).

In some situations u can also apply for a contextual offer where you are given a reduced offer if you meet the requirements e.g you parents did not go to uni or you live in an area where not a large amount of ppl go to uni (the contextual requirements depend on the uni).
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by argentum_ag
U can re apply the next year but there are also other ways where you can still apply to some med schools this year as long as the predicted grades are not horrible, but even then there are some med schools that do not look at predicted grades like Aston or Keele (there are some more but i cant remember them).

In some situations u can also apply for a contextual offer where you are given a reduced offer if you meet the requirements e.g you parents did not go to uni or you live in an area where not a large amount of ppl go to uni (the contextual requirements depend on the uni).

What if, for the sake of the argument, I don't get any offers this year ?
Reply 5

Heya!
Your AS grades might impact your UCAS application and if your grades are below the entry requirements then you might not receive offers. I would recommend having a talk with your teacher and explaining your situation, to see if you could do something to bring your grades up :h:

I hope this helps!
MIlena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 6
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Your AS grades might impact your UCAS application and if your grades are below the entry requirements then you might not receive offers. I would recommend having a talk with your teacher and explaining your situation, to see if you could do something to bring your grades up :h:

I hope this helps!
MIlena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

If I don't get any offers, can I apply again using my final A2 grades after year 13 ?

(Thanks for the reply)
If I don't get any offers, can I apply again using my final A2 grades after year 13 ?

(Thanks for the reply)

Yes - you can reapply with achieved grades in the next cycle.
Reply 8

Medicine is a very competitive course. Many many people even with 3 As or higher predicted dont get any offers. I wouldnt say it is the norm to apply for at least two cycles as it makes a difference depending on what individuals want to do, but certainly if you join the med forum you will see at least 25-30% I would say take 2 years or longer to get an offer.

The most important thing with medicine is to apply strategically often highly dependant on your UCAT score. The forum can help you with this too. As noted previously a few med schools dont look at predicted grades. Leicester is another one I think. But to be honest the higher you can get those predicted grades the more confident you will feel and better chance you will have. Irrespective of the predicted grades you will need to actually achieve at least 3 As (or whatever your offer is) to proceed.

Look at the admissions process and work hard for the UCAT and on your work exp and go from there. Good luck.

Edit. Should have said, in general terms applying for medicine more than once wont hurt you. Different med schools have different policies though esp if wanting to reapply to the same school dependant on how far you got in that cycle and you would have to look at thier policies very carefully at the time. But your strategic choices for your second round will be different again as you will have actual grades and a different UCAT. I can only think of one uni that doest take second round applicants (unless you applied to them the previous time around) (Queens University Belfast) but again you would need to read all policies each year as they do change.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by GGIN
Medicine is a very competitive course. Many many people even with 3 As or higher predicted dont get any offers. I wouldnt say it is the norm to apply for at least two cycles as it makes a difference depending on what individuals want to do, but certainly if you join the med forum you will see at least 25-30% I would say take 2 years or longer to get an offer.

The most important thing with medicine is to apply strategically often highly dependant on your UCAT score. The forum can help you with this too. As noted previously a few med schools dont look at predicted grades. Leicester is another one I think. But to be honest the higher you can get those predicted grades the more confident you will feel and better chance you will have. Irrespective of the predicted grades you will need to actually achieve at least 3 As (or whatever your offer is) to proceed.

Look at the admissions process and work hard for the UCAT and on your work exp and go from there. Good luck.

Edit. Should have said, in general terms applying for medicine more than once wont hurt you. Different med schools have different policies though esp if wanting to reapply to the same school dependant on how far you got in that cycle and you would have to look at thier policies very carefully at the time. But your strategic choices for your second round will be different again as you will have actual grades and a different UCAT. I can only think of one uni that doest take second round applicants (unless you applied to them the previous time around) (Queens University Belfast) but again you would need to read all policies each year as they do change.

Thanks so much for the amazing reply. Just a couple of questions: the part when you said : " I can only think of one uni that doest take second round applicants" is that a doesn't or a does ?
Also, if I do the UCAT once and do good, can I have the score for ever or will it expire after some time and I would have to do another UCAT test ?

Edit: I just wanna know wether I'm screwed and if there is still a chance for me to get into med school.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 10
Thanks so much for the amazing reply. Just a couple of questions: the part when you said : " I can only think of one uni that doest take second round applicants" is that a doesn't or a does ?
Also, if I do the UCAT once and do good, can I have the score for ever or will it expire after some time and I would have to do another UCAT test ?

Edit: I just wanna know wether I'm screwed and if there is still a chance for me to get into med school.

Sorry for the bad typo! One that doesnt in general terms. That is queens uni belfast. But as I say, you should read the relevant policies.

If you want to start uni in sept 24 you have to apply this October and will need to sit your UCAT this summer before you apply (so this summer coming). You can then be strategic based on your score. If you choose to apply for BMAT unis you sit the test immediately after you have applied to uni via UCAS in Oct 23. So this means its much harder to be strategic with any BMAT choices.

You sit the BMAT or UCAT in the year you apply. If you applied next year then you would need to sit it (again) next year. It doesnt carry over from one year to the next.

There is plenty of info on the medicine forum.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest