The Student Room Group

KAPLAN UKCAT Course - Worth it?

Hey, really sorry if there's a thread already like this out, I just wanted to know if anyone here has done the KAPLAN online course, and how the found it, and how they ended up scoring in the UKCAT? As far as i'm aware, it boasts their average student getting average of 700+.

https://www.kaptest.co.uk/ukcat/course

[Seriously? Negging me? All I did was ask...sheesh..]
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ameelia22
Hey, really sorry if there's a thread already like this out, I just wanted to know if anyone here has done the KAPLAN online course, and how the found it, and how they ended up scoring in the UKCAT? As far as i'm aware, it boasts their average student getting average of 700+.

Aren't they really expensive though?
Reply 2
Original post by thegodofgod
Aren't they really expensive though?

they are £260, but for a minute let's put that to one side...
Reply 3

I took the course when I applied.

I have no idea what they claim their average score to be, but that is no guarantee that your score will be over 700.

It was helpful in that they gave you lots of time saving tips etc and strategies. The workbook of practice questions is also good.

However, to be perfectly honest it wasn't worth the money.

I think if you just bought a few books and worked it out yourself and practiced it would be just as good. I can't think of any benefit the course offers over using some good books and working through them yourself.

I wouldn't recommend anyone go on it unless they really don't mind wasting their money.
Reply 4
Original post by No Future
I took the course when I applied.

I have no idea what they claim their average score to be, but that is no guarantee that your score will be over 700.

It was helpful in that they gave you lots of time saving tips etc and strategies. The workbook of practice questions is also good.

However, to be perfectly honest it wasn't worth the money.

I think if you just bought a few books and worked it out yourself and practiced it would be just as good. I can't think of any benefit the course offers over using some good books and working through them yourself.

I wouldn't recommend anyone go on it unless they really don't mind wasting their money.

Thanks for the reply! What was your average score?

And I get that a lot of people just say practise questions, UKCAT 600 book and whatever, but you don't think that it gave you a particular edge?
Reply 5

And I get that a lot of people just say practise questions, UKCAT 600 book and whatever, but you don't think that it gave you a particular edge?

I can't remember, but it wasn't super high at all. It was above average (600), but below 700.

I really don't think it gave me an edge. I do not feel I gained anything from the course that I couldn't have gained from working through books. Plus, the books available now are better than they were then. There was no 600 question book when I was applying. I wish that book had been out then! It has such good reviews.

You may be able to buy the Kaplan course book on Ebay. That may be worth looking at, but I wouldn't pay a couple of hundred ££ to do the course. Better put towards textbooks at med school!

If I was applying again, I would not take the course.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by No Future
I can't remember, but it wasn't super high at all. It was above average (600), but below 700.

I really don't think it gave me an edge. I do not feel I gained anything from the course that I couldn't have gained from working through books. Plus, the books available now are better than they were then. There was no 600 question book when I was applying. I wish that book had been out then! It has such good reviews.

You may be able to buy the Kaplan course book on Ebay. That may be worth looking at, but I wouldn't pay a couple of hundred ££ to do the course. Better put towards textbooks at med school!

If I was applying again, I would not take the course.

Thanks again for the reply! All the information I needed :biggrin: + rep!
Reply 7
first of all i want to say that im not a troll...

i went on a kaplan ukcat course last year and I thought that it was really good

they gave many practice questions, went through common q with you in class, and without it, i dont think i would have done well

(i got 695, and i know thats not above 700, but if i hadnt gone on the course i would have prob got something in the low 600s)

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8

i wouldn't say it was worth it. they talk a lot about the 'kaplan methods' that they have which didn't seem particularly groundbreaking to me! haha. it was good having the practice books but in the end i found the online practice tests much more helpful! also, the kaplan test didn't really give a great indicator of your final score (although, i have to say, nor did the 600 Qs/online tests...): i always did really well in the VR and awfully in the QR on the kaplan tests, and ended up getting the highest (880) in QR and the lowest (710) in VR!

i did end up with an average of 790 so.. perhaps it helped? i couldn't be sure, but if it seems like too much money then don't worry, you'll be fine without it!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9

Their practice papers were really good :h:
Some of the same q's came up in my actual test in fact :woo:
(edited 5 years ago)

The claim that the average student gets 700+ is hardly a sellling point. The average of UKCAT candidates was something like 624 the year before, but taht included every single candidate. If you took an average over candidates who actually prepared by using any method you will find probably that their average was over 700. So that is not Kaplan which will make a difference, but just preparation.

My advice is that a lot of it is due to personal aptitude at the end of the day and that preparing is useful in gaining an understanding of what the exercises are, their format and also in gaining speed. But you can get that from the 600 Q book. No need to spend hundreds of pounds on a course.

As for the Kaplan method, it's hardly more than what you will find in the books either.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by rudyrabbit

Original post by rudyrabbit
The claim that the average student gets 700+ is hardly a sellling point. The average of UKCAT candidates was something like 624 the year before, but taht included every single candidate. If you took an average over candidates who actually prepared by using any method you will find probably that their average was over 700. So that is not Kaplan which will make a difference, but just preparation.

My advice is that a lot of it is due to personal aptitude at the end of the day and that preparing is useful in gaining an understanding of what the exercises are, their format and also in gaining speed. But you can get that from the 600 Q book. No need to spend hundreds of pounds on a course.

As for the Kaplan method, it's hardly more than what you will find in the books either.

You can do it with books and get a high score, the test can be annoying when you're looking at a bright screen that's hurting your eyes though. To be honest it's how you feel on the day.
would it not be more useful if anyone who went on the course gave a basic outline of what they say so nobody has to go on it in the future?
Do you not get 5 computer practice tests?
Reply 14
Original post by garlicbreadman
Do you not get 5 computer practice tests?

Think you get like 5 paper tests, and one on the computer iirc
Original post by haleem
Think you get like 5 paper tests, and one on the computer iirc

oh, still not too bad.

I didnt go on it last year but since I am reapplying, I want to do everything I can to improve my UKCAT only because it was so low (615).

I dont know what to doooooo. I dont want to get a rubbish score again and kick myself for not doing the course :cry2:
Reply 16
It really isn't worth it - nobody I know who took it got over 700 - I agree with the others - you can practice on your own.
I applied for medicine, and got a UKCAT average of 630 in 2009 - I received no Interviews
I went on a Kaplan course for 2 days, and got a UKCAT average of 730(ish) in 2010. I received 3 interviews (4th choice was Soton, which didn't interview anyways)
2 of my friends also went on the same course, one gained about 50 points to their average, and the other lost 10 points.

I think the course DID help me, but the main thing I gained from it was time management, and practise papers.
I'd love to help if you have any questions, or want some tips, so just drop me a PM :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by stroppyninja
I applied for medicine, and got a UKCAT average of 630 in 2009 - I received no Interviews
I went on a Kaplan course for 2 days, and got a UKCAT average of 730(ish) in 2010. I received 3 interviews (4th choice was Soton, which didn't interview anyways)
2 of my friends also went on the same course, one gained about 50 points to their average, and the other lost 10 points.

I think the course DID help me, but the main thing I gained from it was time management, and practise papers.
I'd love to help if you have any questions, or want some tips, so just drop me a PM :smile:

Thanks for posting this, you don't know how much I appreciate it.
I am quite sure I will end up booking the course. It is all of these little things that help at the end of the day. I only got 1 interview but if the course helps to even increase my score by 20 it is worth it imo since everything is just so competitive at the moment. I know it is expensive but I am trying to see it as a long term investment, after all, how many times am I going to apply for medicine?
I am pretty sure this is my last go so I want to do everything I can to maximise my chances of securing a place at medical school.

Sorry about the ramble on guys!

I have booked my UKCAT and there will be 3 'empty' days between my UKCAT and the course, do you think this is alright to do all the practise materials?

Arghh, annoying to see someone got a lower score, I don't know how I would cope with that!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by garlicbreadman
Thanks for posting this, you don't know how much I appreciate it.
I am quite sure I will end up booking the course. It is all of these little things that help at the end of the day. I only got 1 interview but if the course helps to even increase my score by 20 it is worth it imo since everything is just so competitive at the moment. I know it is expensive but I am trying to see it as a long term investment, after all, how many times am I going to apply for medicine?
I am pretty sure this is my last go so I want to do everything I can to maximise my chances of securing a place at medical school.

Sorry about the ramble on guys!

I have booked my UKCAT and there will be 3 'empty' days between my UKCAT and the course, do you think this is alright to do all the practise materials?

Arghh, annoying to see someone got a lower score, I don't know how I would cope with that!

3 days is more than enough time to get sorted what you have learned. The danger of getting a lower score is a real one....but at then end of the day I think the more experience you have of the questions the better :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending