The Student Room Group

want to live in uni halls but i cant help!

please read.... I started my first year of uni in september and it was my inurance choice. i wasnt sure if i wanted to carry on here or drop out so i didnt apply for halls. after a few weeks i began to feel the uni wasnt so bad so i decided to stay. I applied for halls late (novemer) and moved inafter xmas and i made no friends as everyone already had their friends and were less interested.

I really started to regret that i didnt apply and move into halls from the start of theyear and my first year which i had been looking forward to was really boring.

I really really want to live in halls next year so I can meet new people which i missed out on the opportunity to on my first year, however as il be a second year my chances of getting a room is very low. i feel ive missed ot on so much this year.

i have also began to consider applying to a different university and if i dont get a place in halls at my current uni to go to another uni and begin from year 1 again just so i can experience uni like others did. i cant stand having no social life at uni it gets me down.

please help...
Reply 1
are you just finding it hard to integrate, having come in late, or is it just seeming impossible to mix with anyone
Reply 2
Original post by ohohnicolio
are you just finding it hard to integrate, having come in late, or is it just seeming impossible to mix with anyone

def impossible to mix with everyone, no one makes an effort. the year is also almost over as its eater holz and then after exams we are out of hall so its very likely i wont make any friends this year.. i just feel like i missed out
Reply 3
Original post by star1
def impossible to mix with everyone, no one makes an effort. the year is also almost over as its eater holz and then after exams we are out of hall so its very likely i wont make any friends this year.. i just feel like i missed out

:frown: that actually just sounds horrible. Well if you have the money to dispose of to start in first year again i'd say go for it if you feel you've missed out because you're never going to get the whole uni experience ever again in your life :\ Hope it works out for you..
Reply 4
Original post by star1

There's plenty of other ways to meet people and make friends, have you tried joining sports clubs or societies. And what about people on your course?
Reply 5

Original post by Mbob
There's plenty of other ways to meet people and make friends, have you tried joining sports clubs or societies. And what about people on your course?

this. why waste another year of your life? You will regret it later on if you do start again (i think)
Reply 6
I second the sports and societies comment, that's where I met all of my friends at uni (apart from the ones that were on the same course as me). I was in the Ski & Snowboard club (then later served on the club committee), we had almost 1000 members with an average of 50-60 turning up for weekly socials and 250 for the annual holiday.

I never stayed in halls either. It's no loss, trust me. Especially in your 2nd and 3rd years, when you'll actually start to value being able to work and the wonder that is sleep.

Join some clubs and socs and attend the socials/trips, there'll be plenty of new people/members there every year looking to meet people. Especially fun if you join something you're interested in / passionate about / good at because it gives you something to do. :smile:
Reply 7
Have you considered private halls? Most ciites have private halls that aren't run by the university, but are exactly the same as halls that a lot of 2nd and 3rd years go in. In my experience these have been just as good as first year halls of residence and I would recommend it, rather than throwing away all the money and a year of your life just for the halls experience.

Again I will say, join societies, clubs, meet people that way.

Always invite people out for drinks. You say your struggling making friends, ask your coursemates for a few drinks in the SU after lectures. Do this a few times, and soon they will start inviting you on nights out with their friends. And soon, you will have lots of friends!

From my experience, when i've been lonely or struggled to make friends it's because I haven't made the effort. I haven't invited people out for drinks, or invited people for a night out, I'm sure if you make more effort with people on your course/your halls you'll soon have lots of friends.
Reply 8
Halls can really be pretty s h i t to be honest. In some of them people behave like idiots and yell and scream all night (because some people seem to think "Wooo we're students, we're supposed to get drunk and piss around in a forced and inane way") and you get woken up at 4am or 5am because some idiot's set the fire alarm off. I would prefer to have my own place and choose my own friends through who I've met in club and societies.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by star1
please read.... I started my first year of uni in september and it was my inurance choice. i wasnt sure if i wanted to carry on here or drop out so i didnt apply for halls. after a few weeks i began to feel the uni wasnt so bad so i decided to stay. I applied for halls late (novemer) and moved inafter xmas and i made no friends as everyone already had their friends and were less interested.

I really started to regret that i didnt apply and move into halls from the start of theyear and my first year which i had been looking forward to was really boring.

I really really want to live in halls next year so I can meet new people which i missed out on the opportunity to on my first year, however as il be a second year my chances of getting a room is very low. i feel ive missed ot on so much this year.

i have also began to consider applying to a different university and if i dont get a place in halls at my current uni to go to another uni and begin from year 1 again just so i can experience uni like others did. i cant stand having no social life at uni it gets me down.

please help...

Im in exactly the same situation, I go to a local university and stupidly i decided not to move into halls in Sep 2010, which i should have done. I am sick of travelling to uni everyday getting around 4 buses.... if i drove there is would only take me around 20-30mins, but now i feel like ive missed that uni experience moving out. My reasons for not moving out were due to money, i thought i would be saving alot of money living at home and i am, but ive realised that the experience would have been worth it. Now im going into 2nd year, ive missed the deadline for halls, and there lil chance of me getting into them because im 2nd year and most 2nd years move in house wiht friends they've made....

Although... im still gna apply and see..... also, consider private accommodation? its better than nothing, and if ur enjoying your course, you shouldnt move uni, just to start again and get that uni experience, because everyones experience is different, i know ppl who hate living out and are considering commuting, where as i want to live out in 2nd year.... ideally not wiht a bunch of freshers though ..... anyway! good luck! u should be able to find provate accommodation...:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by NPhere
Im in exactly the same situation, I go to a local university and stupidly i decided not to move into halls in Sep 2010, which i should have done. I am sick of travelling to uni everyday getting around 4 buses.... if i drove there is would only take me around 20-30mins, but now i feel like ive missed that uni experience moving out.

Why don't you just learn to drive and get a car? With student debt and all that, why not just save the accomodation cost and stay at home? If you really wanted the "going away to uni experience" (which isn't guaranteed to be "the best time of your life"TM) why didn't you go to a university in a different area?
Reply 11
Original post by Gwasgray
Why don't you just learn to drive and get a car? With student debt and all that, why not just save the accomodation cost and stay at home? If you really wanted the "going away to uni experience" (which isn't guaranteed to be "the best time of your life"TM) why didn't you go to a university in a different area?

Yea exactly..... its sounds simple, just to learn how to drive, save for a car.. but then its the experience that I'm not going and its the experience I want.... I want to try and be a bit independent and also learn more about myself by living out etc and just experiencing it as a whole.....

I didnt deliberately choose to stay local, the main reason for choosing that uni, is because of the course offered, out of the uni's i picked n researched their degree course appealled more to me and im really enjoying the course, its v hard, but it interests me... its just the living at home which is an issue
No private halls?
Reply 13
Well, personally I'd be pretty desperate to get my driving licence, I know it can take time to get through the lessons and book a test (with the backlog there always is) and not everyone passes first time but I'd be trying.

And you don't need to spend much money to get a car that runs, insurance will be the most expensive thing, but then I don't know what your financial situation is. My dad spent £4000 on getting my sister a car while she was at medical school (she still is) but I once bought an old Renault Clio for £600 and it kept going for 3 years. You can get something for under £500, it's just a question of how long it lasts before it needs real work doing on it. You can either keep buying disposable cheap bangers or spend more on something that isn't as worn and will hopefully last longer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Lyndon1504
No private halls?

there isnt any near my uni :l
so i missed out on iving on campus and there also isnt any private halls around my uni. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending