The Student Room Group

which hall do i choose in reading university?

hi,

i want to pick a fun, lively and cool hall to live in for starting in 2023 at reading university but i cant find any chats or forums talking about reading uni life in a casual non biased manner. i want to live on one of the campus student accomodation.. i've been looking at mackinder and benyon so far.
does anyone go to reading uni or know anyone from reading that has as good word to say about the halls they stayed in for first year?
i visited reading uni and went past the sports but and into this student cafe across a road and amongst the uni accomodation but i have no idea what its called or where it was. i liked the halls around there, the vibe was nice.

thank you!
Original post by student201217
hi,

i want to pick a fun, lively and cool hall to live in for starting in 2023 at reading university but i cant find any chats or forums talking about reading uni life in a casual non biased manner. i want to live on one of the campus student accomodation.. i've been looking at mackinder and benyon so far.
does anyone go to reading uni or know anyone from reading that has as good word to say about the halls they stayed in for first year?
i visited reading uni and went past the sports but and into this student cafe across a road and amongst the uni accomodation but i have no idea what its called or where it was. i liked the halls around there, the vibe was nice.

thank you!

Hi @student201217,
Both Mackinder and Benyon are great choices of accommodation! You'll find most accommodations will fit your criteria as people in halls tend to be really social, and the Mackinder and Stenton areas are definitely the most lively. Benyon is similar, but is one of our off-campus accommodations, so its a little longer of a walk. I'd encourage you to check out our accommodation portal that you can access here to get a better picture of the types, prices and locations of rooms we have available here. It sounds like you might be talking about our Park Group/ Mackinder halls area so definitely start there!

I myself stayed in Greenow halls, one of our en-suite options, and I really enjoyed it as my flat was a little smaller than most so I had a good level of privacy alongside sociability, so I'd recommend you check it out!

If you have any other questions about our accommodation options, please let us know and we'll do our best to help! :smile:
Kath :smile:
3rd Year History Student
Hi, I'm currently in halls at Reading. There isn't really a most lively hall - everybody argues that where they're staying is the most fun!
I'm in Bridges, there's a lot of flat parties if that's what you're into and it's the most modern accommodation on campus. I really like that reception is just outside (literally a 30 second walk for me) so you can easily pick up parcels from the post room, do your laundry and get any help that you need - the staff are all lovely. You cross the lake to get to the centre of campus, so it's quite a pretty walk too :smile: Personally I think Bridges, Stenton and Mackinder are the nicest, but it's all down to personal preference and you should 100% try to see the room options in person before choosing (the photos can be deceiving). You can find reviews for the different halls on studentcrowd.com, so definitely check that out too.
Hope this helps, don't hesitate to ask any other questions!
Original post by millirose
Hi, I'm currently in halls at Reading. There isn't really a most lively hall - everybody argues that where they're staying is the most fun!
I'm in Bridges, there's a lot of flat parties if that's what you're into and it's the most modern accommodation on campus. I really like that reception is just outside (literally a 30 second walk for me) so you can easily pick up parcels from the post room, do your laundry and get any help that you need - the staff are all lovely. You cross the lake to get to the centre of campus, so it's quite a pretty walk too :smile: Personally I think Bridges, Stenton and Mackinder are the nicest, but it's all down to personal preference and you should 100% try to see the room options in person before choosing (the photos can be deceiving). You can find reviews for the different halls on studentcrowd.com, so definitely check that out too.
Hope this helps, don't hesitate to ask any other questions!

Thanks for your input @millirose! Very insightful :smile:

I definitely agree for those of you looking into halls right now - think about what's most important for you e.g. do you want to be close to your main buildings, or in a quiet area, or perhaps you would prefer an en-suite, or a single-gender flat. These are all personal preferences but will make your experience much more comfortable and help you settle in easier! Each hall will have varying features, so look into them and have a look at the virtual tours on the website here, or come and visit us at a visit day/open day.

Any questions, do let us know!

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Hi if you’re interested, I have to find a replacement as I am no longer attending reading university. It’s a premium room at bridgers hall, it is shared bathroom but it looks quite good ( I believe it’s shared with just one person). If you’re interested or know someone who is interested, please let me know. Thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending