The Student Room Group

Man arrested for burning the Quran

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by JonathanNorth
Investigate first. If he has committed a crime, then arrest. What it looks like here is that they arrested him, then released him due to lack of evidence. But what other evidence would they got by arresting him? Nil.

If I claimed you committed a crime. The police would arrest you and take you in for questioning, as a part of their investigation. It's standard procedure.
Original post by B-Man.
If I claimed you committed a crime. The police would arrest you and take you in for questioning, as a part of their investigation. It's standard procedure.

But would you not have to have evidence for your claim in order for them to arrest me?

They arrested him, because they saw a video of him burning the Qu'ran, that was their only evidence against him.

What I am personally saying is, I don't think that is a right. I don't agree that you can arrest someone simply inciting hatred. Unless you are doing physical harm to someone or are in conspiracy to do harm to others with evidence against someone, then you arrest.

But this man simply burned a book and made remarks which would be inciting hatred towards a certain group. I'm not saying he hasn't incited hatred.

I don't agree with what he was doing, but free speech is free speech. If he wants to say that, he can say that, in my opinion. That is true free speech.

Free speech again in my opinion only draws a line when you inhibit another persons free speech. In this case he wasn't doing that.
Reply 322
But would you not have to have evidence for your claim in order for them to arrest me?

No, my complaint is enough to get you arrested for police interrogation.

I don't agree with what he was doing, but free speech is free speech. If he wants to say that, he can say that, in my opinion. That is true free speech.

Free speech again in my opinion only draws a line when you inhibit another persons free speech. In this case he wasn't doing that.

There isn't a country in the world that permits free speech (in accordance with your opinion of what it should be).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 323
Original post by Titleist
This notion that the Koran is above being burned is absolutely ridiculous. This is Britain, for crying out loud, not some uneducated Islamic country. We're aware that the Koran is not the word of God, so why give it even an ounce of respect?

Let's face it. It's a homophobic, sexist, fascist and anti-Semitic text.

Where's your evidence that it's a "homophobic, sexist, fascist and anti-Semitic text"?

And may I ask, of what religion are you?
Reply 324
If I burned a copy of spot the dog would I get arrested? Same thing really.... Fairytale *******s
Reply 325
In fact.... How does one publicise a book burning? I want to publicise that I'm going to burn a Quran (just noticed that the iPhone automatically capitalises the q in Quran but not the b in bible.... Ooooooooo), then whip out a copy of Harry potter, burn it, pull a moony, then stick two fingers up and do a raspberry. All on national jelly
Reply 326
Original post by Steezy
In fact.... How does one publicise a book burning? I want to publicise that I'm going to burn a Quran (just noticed that the iPhone automatically capitalises the q in Quran but not the b in bible.... Ooooooooo)

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 327
Original post by B-Man.

Jokes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending