The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Huntercross14
It has to be Harvard or yale cuz i heard the are good uni on TV but i cant even find them anywhere on ucas

I can't tell if this is extreme retardation or just a good sense of humour.
Reply 381
how the **** is Warwick overrated????

Anyway SOAS is deffo underrated.
Reply 382
Aston University probably underated

But depends on the department really. Like forr example staffordshire University is an awful uni but has a good law school.
Liverpool is quite underrated in my humble opinion.

Ox-bridge not that bad

overrated- Bolton :smile:
Original post by ussumane
how the **** is Warwick overrated????

Anyway SOAS is deffo underrated.

Warwick is fantastic at Maths/Economics, good for many of the arts subjects but significantly weaker at science/engineering. It isn't that overrated but it's not 3rd in the country (according to the Guardian).
My guess is that people don't like Warwick because:

It's next to Coventry, which isn't really a bonus.

It was built in the 60s and isn't in a castle, and is therefore a crap academic institution for all the pretentious middle class children wanting to study their arts courses in a place that looks like Hogwarts.

Or people didn't manage to get an offer from Warwick, or were put off applying and now consider it overrated because they're bitter about the whole thing.

So, by the same logic:
In my opinion, St. Andrews and Durham are overrated because I didn't get in.
York and Warwick and underrated because they're my insurance and firm choices on UCAS.

Honestly children. What does it matter? As long as you get a good degree from a good institution, it's irrelevant which uni is better, or which one is overrated.
And the reputation of the department is much more important than overall reputation. The reason I didn't apply to study physics at UCL is because compared to the places I mentioned above, it's mediocre, despite being considered one of the best universities in the world.
Reply 386
Overrated: Imperial

Underrated: Kings
Reply 387
I know this thread is getting a bit out of date now, however I wanted to point out that the age old argument "An Oxbridge/Durham/Warwick/UCL graduate will always get hired over someone from a less prestigious university" that many people have posted about is definitely a myth.
I was recently involved in interviewing new teachers for my school. There was a Cambridge graduate, a Durham graduate, and graduates from Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham, Sheffield as well as a few others. The Cambridge and the Durham graduates didn't get hired where as the two from Newcastle and Birmingham did. This just shows that employers hire people based on merit of the actual person, rather than just where they got their degree. I have nothing against top universities, I just wanted to point out that it's not the end of the day if you don't make it to Oxbridge. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kbountra
Warwick is fantastic at Maths/Economics, good for many of the arts subjects but significantly weaker at science/engineering. It isn't that overrated but it's not 3rd in the country (according to the Guardian).

It is 3rd in the country on the Guardian's. It's generally between 3rd and 7th I think.
Reply 389
Overated:

Exeter
Durham
Kings
York
Warwick
Loughborough
SOAS

Underated;

Liverpool
Southampton
UEA
Manchester
Newcastle
Sheffield
Original post by Mr Fish
Overated:

Exeter
Durham
Kings
York
Warwick
Loughborough
SOAS

^^Didn't get any offers from these

Underated;

Liverpool
Southampton
UEA
Manchester
Newcastle
Sheffield

^^Got offers from these

bleaurgh
Reply 391
Underrated: Oxford Brookes, Anglia Ruskin

Overrated: Oxford, Cambridge
Reply 392
Some people are thick as S***.

SOASS only does oriental and african studies.

In UK only a dozen of so Unis even offer these courses.

Thus what is so good about being 5/12 ?

SOASS needs to be compared to its real peers offering comparable courses.

That would be no contest.

A native uni studying its own culture is going to kick ASS anyday.

Nobody is going to convince me that ASS is better than say Taiwan national U or Beijing U for Chinese studies.

Same ASS vs Witts on I don't know ... Zulu culture.

That's why ASS is bogus and overrated.

Warwick is also bogus cause it is ' famous ' nothing more than a good hiring policy for maths and econs ( though this doubted as they are too far from the action to be really relevant ).

It also falsely implicates that the other 60s unis cannot do the same which is Bllxs, even an ex poly could hiring the best mathematicians around if it had the budget.

Too much hype and too little substance

Ans finally as if Durham is anything but a Oxbridge wannabe, with emphasis firmly on the wannabe, so much so in fact that is really in the bottom half of the 2nd tier.

Suck it trollers
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 393
Original post by Txi

Warwick is also bogus cause it is ' famous ' nothing more than a good hiring policy for maths and econs ( though this doubted as they are too far from the action to be really relevant ).

It also falsely implicates that the other 60s unis cannot do the same which is Bllxs, even an ex poly could hiring the best mathematicians around if it had the budget.

Too much hype and too little substance

You are actually **** at writing.

Let's look at some SW stats (as these are the newest to come out):

University TOTAL
Oxford 60
Warwick 50
Cambridge 48
LSE 48
UCL 29
Imperial 16

More specifically

JPM IBD:

Warwick 10
Oxford 6
Cambridge 6
UCL 4
LSE 3
HEC 3
Durham 3
Imperial 2

Raw stats, or your opinions.. Too little substance? Hmm.. Just leave, you contribute nothing to this forum
Reply 394
You mean

" You are actually writing **** ". not other way around yeah ?

These IB stats if they are real.

What does IB have to do with being overrated ?

Face it, most TSR thinks Warwick is overrated BS.

If you don't like reading it the F'g do something about it - change or go to another U.

How thick people are.
i have got offers from unis which you guys said overrated; Durham and underrated; sheffield and UEA in translation studies.

Great, now I am even 'more decisive'...
Original post by Anthonyphw
i have got offers from unis which you guys said overrated; Durham and underrated; sheffield and UEA in translation studies.

Great, now I am even 'more decisive'...

I wouldn't be worried about the vast majority of people's views on TSR in regards to which universities are under/overrated.

Go to the one which you will be happiest at.
Original post by astarkid
I know this thread is getting a bit out of date now, however I wanted to point out that the age old argument "An Oxbridge/Durham/Warwick/UCL graduate will always get hired over someone from a less prestigious university" that many people have posted about is definitely a myth.
I was recently involved in interviewing new teachers for my school. There was a Cambridge graduate, a Durham graduate, and graduates from Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham, Sheffield as well as a few others. The Cambridge and the Durham graduates didn't get hired where as the two from Newcastle and Birmingham did. This just shows that employers hire people based on merit of the actual person, rather than just where they got their degree. I have nothing against top universities, I just wanted to point out that it's not the end of the day if you don't make it to Oxbridge. :tongue:

It's always been different with teaching though as they place more emphasis on the lesson & interview. Its the private sector that is more snobby about where you go.
Reply 398
I'm at UCL, not sure if it makes it overrated but it's definitely more research than teaching led, in my subject at least they just put the lecture slides and recordings online. There's a surprisingly high number of people who don't seem that smart either.
Original post by visa
I'm at UCL, not sure if it makes it overrated but it's definitely more research than teaching led, in my subject at least they just put the lecture slides and recordings online. There's a surprisingly high number of people who don't seem that smart either.

I hate some of my lecturers... Ridiculously useless.

Latest

Trending

Trending