The Student Room Group

Company Car vs Own Car (PwC)

Hey everyone, I know this might not seem on the right forum but I want advice on the matter purely related to the scenario at the big 4 accounting firms so thought it was probobly the best place to put it, if I have got it wrong please move. Sorry if I am wrong!

Ok so basically I have an offer for audit starting in September in the Bristol office of PWC, I am aware that audit will involve lots of travelling and thus lots of driving. I can get a company car but dont know whether to get the company car or get my own car this summer.
What is the difference, am I right in thinknig if you get a company car (I think you lease it) they pay for Tax, MOTs and even your own insurance or is this wrong? If true why would you choose to get your own car, is there any benifits to having your own car as to having one of their company cars, and vice versa?

Thanks for any help to anyone who can spare the time! x
Reply 1
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by K..W.Studd
Hey everyone, I know this might not seem on the right forum but I want advice on the matter purely related to the scenario at the big 4 accounting firms so thought it was probobly the best place to put it, if I have got it wrong please move. Sorry if I am wrong!

Ok so basically I have an offer for audit starting in September in the Bristol office of PWC, I am aware that audit will involve lots of travelling and thus lots of driving. I can get a company car but dont know whether to get the company car or get my own car this summer.
What is the difference, am I right in thinknig if you get a company car (I think you lease it) they pay for Tax, MOTs and even your own insurance or is this wrong? If true why would you choose to get your own car, is there any benifits to having your own car as to having one of their company cars, and vice versa?

You get taxed on company cars. I'm assuming if you don't go for a company car you get a cash benefit instead.
Reply 3
Ah cheers for the help guys, I was hoping there might be someone on here who actually got a company car at PWC or a similar firm so they could run me through the basics.
If you get taxed I guess you pay your own insurance as well? What about MOTs?

Thanks guys x
The PwC Choices manual says "The PwC car scheme offers the choice of a wide range of cars, with all maintenance, road tax and insurance inclusive with 1, 2, 3 and 4 years leases available."

I am afraid that until you start at the firm the exact rules and terms are not given. But they do answer questions if you ring them
Reply 5
Ah cheers for the help guys, I was hoping there might be someone on here who actually got a company car at PWC or a similar firm so they could run me through the basics.
If you get taxed I guess you pay your own insurance as well? What about MOTs?

Thanks guys x

No, company car schemes usually have the company paying for the MOTs, repairs, etc. The tax is an employment benefit, not the road tax.

You'll be taxed on an employment benefit based on the car CO2 emissions and car list price.
Original post by Kemik
No, company car schemes usually have the company paying for the MOTs, repairs, etc. The tax is an employment benefit, not the road tax.

You'll be taxed on an employment benefit based on the car CO2 emissions and car list price.

This, so make sure you take this into account when deciding what car to have.

A quick and easy way to find out for a particular car is at http://www.comcar.co.uk/newcar/companycar/taxcalc/g1select.cfm
Reply 7
PwC offer the car leases through masterlease. Its not as appealing as it sounds as you have to pay monthly lease payments which can be quite dear even on the basic of models.
Reply 8
Nobody takes company cars anymore. Ironically, it's the accountants telling everyone not to.
Reply 9
This is all fantastic guys and gals, thanks so much for taking the time to help me! It seems the general curve is away from leasing cars, why is this? Is it just in general more expensive, even for a young male driver? Youd have thought them covering these costs would save a fortune?

What does it mean that
'taxed on an employment benefit based on the car CO2 emissions and car list price'

They tax you extra just for using their lease car? On top of lease payments?

Thanks alot, xx
Reply 10
They tax you extra just for using their lease car? On top of lease payments?

Thanks alot, xx

Whatever you contribute will be deducted from the taxable benefit.
Reply 11

What was your starting salary offer for the bristol office if you don't mind me asking? I've just transferred my offer from london for corporate tax.
Reply 12
The scheme cars cost a bomb even for basic cars. If you can get halfway reasonably priced insurance in your own name, it's much cheaper to operate your own car.
Original post by js813
What was your starting salary offer for the bristol office if you don't mind me asking? I've just transferred my offer from london for corporate tax.

Original post by alibee
The scheme cars cost a bomb even for basic cars. If you can get halfway reasonably priced insurance in your own name, it's much cheaper to operate your own car.

Hey guys, I've closed this thread now as it is super, super old - it's better to make a new thread in this case as you'll get more responses :h: If you need help with making a new thread, send me a PM :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending