The Student Room Group

Car hit my door as I opened it.

Hello
Could someone tell me what the best course of action would be in this situation?

I was parked on a single red line. The road was not busy. A car slammed into my open car door. It will cost around £1000 to repair my door, however his car has received minimal damage. Whose fault is it ?

I said I’d rather we each pay for the damage caused to our own cars. But they are insisting that it’s my fault only.

What should I do?
Original post by Sz199911
Hello
Could someone tell me what the best course of action would be in this situation?

I was parked on a single red line. The road was not busy. A car slammed into my open car door. It will cost around £1000 to repair my door, however his car has received minimal damage. Whose fault is it ?

I said I’d rather we each pay for the damage caused to our own cars. But they are insisting that it’s my fault only.

What should I do?

From your description it's entirely your fault.

Section 239 https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/parking.html
Hello

What should I do?

It sounds like you might be at fault here. But the main thing is that you tell your car insurance provider. They may be able to cover the cost of some/most of the repair cost depending on what your excess is at.
Reply 3
Hello

What should I do?

This is different from you other post - was the car door open already or did it happen while you were opening the door?
Report it to your insurance company and let them work out liability. Don't try and haggle liability with the other driver esp as they are disputing (If I was involved in an accident and thought it was the other drivers fault, I wouldn't be too impressed at being told to pay for my own repairs)

Unless you could prove the other driver was speeding or using their phone or something I suspect it would be considered your fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending