The Student Room Group

2011 Graduate Entry Medicine Applicants - Interviews, Offers etc.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MusicNow
If you have been supporting yourself financially for 36 months prior to the starting the first year of your course, then it will be your boyfriends income which is used to calculate your bursary and reduced rate loan entitlement (should you choose to declare him as your spouse - I'm not sure many people would blame you if you didn't). These 36 months can include periods of unemployment but not time spent in receipt of a student loan/grant. If you have not been self supporting for 36 months (i.e. finished your first degree in the summer of 2010 or 2009) then your parents income is used to calculate your entitlement.

Why your family are still considered responsible for funding you over two years after they have presumably already helped you through one degree is beyond me, but unfortunately that's how it is. Hope the information helps anyway.

Thanks for this. I have been externally funded for a PhD since 2007 so will be classed as independent from my parents by the NHS I guess. I just don't see how they are classifying "household": for example, until January my boyfriend and I lived with another (earning) person as well, and there's obviously no way that "household income" means "the income of everybody living in the same house"! When it makes such a massive difference to bursaries (loans are slightly less important) I just want to make sure I use all my options.
Reply 381
Original post by miss_sporty87
Me too! Is Liverpool your first choice ???:smile:

I have offers from birmingham and liverpool....i'm torn as to which to choose - i really want to go to liverpool but birmingham makes more sense for me financially....need someone to decide for me!
Original post by red_bull
I have offers from birmingham and liverpool....i'm torn as to which to choose - i really want to go to liverpool but birmingham makes more sense for me financially....need someone to decide for me!

I'd say you have to go with your heart on a decision like this. You need to be completely committed or you'll be unhappy - it goes without saying that medicine is really intense...
Reply 383
Original post by shangrilalala
I'd say you have to go with your heart on a decision like this. You need to be completely committed or you'll be unhappy - it goes without saying that medicine is really intense...

thank you for your advice....I'm kind of thinking the same thing, but then being insanely poor is going to make me unhappy too! I guess it's bearable and worth it in the long run
Original post by Tetanus
Still heard nothing but a few acknowledgments. No interviews/offers but at the same time no rejections. Remaining positive-ish.

:poo:

Do bsms do graduate entry medicine?
Original post by mclovin123
Do bsms do graduate entry medicine?

No, they don't. Graduates can apply for their standard 5-year course though!
Original post by katiej149
No, they don't. Graduates can apply for their standard 5-year course though!

ahh great, sorry but do you think i would stad a chance. i got ABBBBBBBBCC at gcse and i have to retake my as level year. After that i will do a degree in biomed then apply as a graduate. Would i stand a chance?
ahh great, sorry but do you think i would stad a chance. i got ABBBBBBBBCC at gcse and i have to retake my as level year. After that i will do a degree in biomed then apply as a graduate. Would i stand a chance?

No problem. I will warn you though, that although you can apply as a graduate there, it's extremely competitive and there are very few places for graduates!
Original post by katiej149
No problem. I will warn you though, that although you can apply as a graduate there, it's extremely competitive and there are very few places for graduates!

I know but looking at my profile am i really disadvantaged by my gcses and the fact that it will have taken me three year to complete my a levels? i will have to retake my whole AS Level year.
I know but looking at my profile am i really disadvantaged by my gcses and the fact that it will have taken me three year to complete my a levels? i will have to retake my whole AS Level year.

Had a look at their website, and from what I can see, it shouldn't make too much of a difference, as long as you're doing the required subjects, which I'm sure you are!! Dunno about the three years situation though, maybe ring them up and ask? :smile:
Reply 390
Original post by Sparko13
I am a graduate with an offer for the 5yr at Keele. I did not do the GAMSAT but i read on NMM that people have been invited for interview and someone has received an offer for Keele's 4yr. Where are your other choices? You must really have liked Keele to apply to its 4 and 5 year programmes.

Hey. I applied for Grad Entry at Notts & 5-Yr at Birmingham. I firmed Keele for the 5-year programme so I shall be going there. I am a graduate from Keele you see... :-)
Reply 391
hiii im not even sure if im eligible to apply to the graduate entry course.. if im going to do a Bsc honours in midwifery..help !!!
Original post by Nina :-)
Hey. I applied for Grad Entry at Notts & 5-Yr at Birmingham. I firmed Keele for the 5-year programme so I shall be going there. I am a graduate from Keele you see... :-)

Well i shall see you in September then :smile:
Original post by ruki_x
hiii im not even sure if im eligible to apply to the graduate entry course.. if im going to do a Bsc honours in midwifery..help !!!

Hey Ruki! It depends on which unis you are looking to apply to. Some such as Warwick have a specific list of degrees that are acceptable whereas others, such as Southampton, don't mind what your first degree was. Have a look at this link ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide ), as it will be a lot more helpful!! :smile:
Reply 394
Hey guys, quick question. Graduate entry medics going to uni this year (I.e. September 2011) as we are the last medical intake to be paying the lower tuition fees, does that mean we are entitled to the NHS bursary from years 2-4? ...because I've heard it's going to be stopped once the higher fees come into play
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 395
Is there any one who has go an offer with a non science degree.
Reply 396
Original post by MedicalMaverick9
Warwick offer :smile:

Just waiting on Bristol 4 year now post-interview.

what degree did you do
Reply 397
You might want to check out the more active Grad applicants thread, it's knocking about somewhere on the first or second page of the Medicine subforum I expect. People do get onto Grad Entry courses with Arts/Social Science/other degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending