The Student Room Group

OCR AS - Chemistry Unit F322 - Chains, energy and resource - REVISION!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by godknowsprerna
GOOOD LUCKKK EVERYONEE SITTIN THIS EXAM :biggrin: oh god unit 2 is so much better then unit 1 :smile:

It really isnt :frown:
Reply 81
Original post by J DOT A
Yeah exactly the mistake I made, thus I am retaking this unit again!
Just make sure your organic chemistry is good and your sorted. I have done A2 so this should be alot easier I am hoping:smile:

How do you mean? Meaning.. are the old spec papers not good to do? Because, for F324, i got high A's in every old paper and got a 'D' in the real one :frown: :eek: im retaking that alongside this.. and what you said about the old past papers is probably true now! So how do we prepare????
Reply 82
Original post by Rosi M
How do you mean? Meaning.. are the old spec papers not good to do? Because, for F324, i got high A's in every old paper and got a 'D' in the real one :frown: :eek: im retaking that alongside this.. and what you said about the old past papers is probably true now! So how do we prepare????

Okay so alot of people have asked me this, and this is my $0.02.
Forget the old spec, its good for practise but there is no way in hell that the exam is going to be as easy as it was in the old papers... so bare that in mind. If you get 100% in the old spec does not mean you will be getting that in the new one.

All I can say to you is UNDERSTAND it, for example why is a nucleophile a nucelophile, or why how do you get 1,2di-bromomethane from a reaction mechanism involving radicals.
Dont just remeberize the content, you will get a C max. Also the OCR book is good to get you about a C/D grade- this is what my teacher said. DO ALL the papers from 2009-2011 (new spec). Understand the MS, and then I think this is a golden tip- I used it for my A2 unit 1 paper (which has alot of organic chem) is to just randomly draw isomers of molocues, both skeletal and displayed. Do random reactions and see if you can find a pattern.
Reply 83
Original post by J DOT A
Okay so alot of people have asked me this, and this is my $0.02.
Forget the old spec, its good for practise but there is no way in hell that the exam is going to be as easy as it was in the old papers... so bare that in mind. If you get 100% in the old spec does not mean you will be getting that in the new one.

All I can say to you is UNDERSTAND it, for example why is a nucleophile a nucelophile, or why how do you get 1,2di-bromomethane from a reaction mechanism involving radicals.
Dont just remeberize the content, you will get a C max. Also the OCR book is good to get you about a C/D grade- this is what my teacher said. DO ALL the papers from 2009-2011 (new spec). Understand the MS, and then I think this is a golden tip- I used it for my A2 unit 1 paper (which has alot of organic chem) is to just randomly draw isomers of molocues, both skeletal and displayed. Do random reactions and see if you can find a pattern.

I really wish someone had told me this before january so i didn't get excited when getting A's in old past papers. Terrible shock in the exam :eek:

Yep thanks. So recent papers is the key.. got it. Do the old ones but just for practice, dont get too happy about it 'cos it betrays you in the end :frown:
Reply 84
Original post by Rosi M
I really wish someone had told me this before january so i didn't get excited when getting A's in old past papers. Terrible shock in the exam :eek:

Yep thanks. So recent papers is the key.. got it. Do the old ones but just for practice, dont get too happy about it 'cos it betrays you in the end :frown:

No problem:smile: I would also reccomend the tutorials on youtube- absolutley immense for module 2 AS and module 4 A2!

Don't worry, I made the exact same mistake you did last June... But I learnt and there's no way in hell I am letting that happen again!

One more tip guys... IF YOU CANT do a question, just leave it. Don't piss your time up as 1hour 45 mins is really tight in the exam.
Reply 85
Original post by J DOT A
No problem:smile: I would also reccomend the tutorials on youtube- absolutley immense for module 2 AS and module 4 A2!

Don't worry, I made the exact same mistake you did last June... But I learnt and there's no way in hell I am letting that happen again!

One more tip guys... IF YOU CANT do a question, just leave it. Don't piss your time up as 1hour 45 mins is really tight in the exam.

Can you please copy paste the link on here? Thanks once again :smile: x
Reply 86
Original post by CPN
It really isnt :frown:

aww... is it? i just found it much more interesting :biggrin: lol unit 1 was so boring :mad:
Finished all notes for this module :biggrin: just revision now!
Reply 88
I just thought I'd contribute to this thread by saying that I hate hate hate enthalpy.

Good luck to everyone with this exam.
would you recommend the book the OP featured over the textbook?
Original post by the_alybot
would you recommend the book the OP featured over the textbook?

That IS my textbook...

Ok, bit of revision now- how do you make an ester?

(whoever answers should ask another question)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 91
Carboxylic Acid + Alcahol (Acid Catalyst)
Reply 92
Original post by CPN
Carboxylic Acid + Alcahol (Acid Catalyst)

Conc.H2SO4 under reflux
Reply 93
You guys above really don't understand how the game works...

What is the bond angle in an alkene? and shape?
Original post by SteveCrain
You guys above really don't understand how the game works...

What is the bond angle in an alkene? and shape?

Around the C=C atoms, it's trigonal planar, 120.

What happens to the rate of a reaction if you decrease the temperature? Why?
Reply 95
Original post by student777
Around the C=C atoms, it's trigonal planar, 120.

What happens to the rate of a reaction if you decrease the temperature? Why?

Decreases rate of reaction because...........less kinetic energy, molecules move slower, so collide less frequently. There are also fewer molecules with energy exceeding the activation energy.

Define Stereoisomer
Reply 96
Original post by SteveCrain
Define Stereoisomer

molecules with the same molecular and structural formulae but have a different arrangement of the atoms in space

define first ionisation energy
Reply 97
Original post by chemkid
molecules with the same molecular and structural formulae but have a different arrangement of the atoms in space

define first ionisation energy

Wth? we don't need to know that?

Describe the rate of hydrolysis of a halogenalkane... with a Cl-, Br- and I- attached to butane molocule. .

Also, list the conditions needed for the hydrolysis of a halogenalkane. What acts as a nucleophile and a solvent, and suggest why you need to use a solvent.
Original post by viksta1000
haha, here we go third time lucky :biggrin:

I believe the answer is 'a molecule with the same number of atoms but a different arrangement of atoms in space'

But it depends on whether or not its structural or stereo isomerism :tongue:

ok next question

what are primary, secondary and tertiary alcohols oxidised to? (state reactants and conditions)

actually the answer is a molecule with the same chemical formula but a different structural formula, a steroisomer is the same structural formula but a different arrangement of atoms in space
Original post by hockeyjoe
actually the answer is a molecule with the same chemical formula but a different structural formula, a steroisomer is the same structural formula but a different arrangement of atoms in space

technically, the question didn't really ask for a type of isomer :biggrin:

but thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending