The Student Room Group

Possibility of al Qaeda having Nuclear Weapons from Pakistan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Rant
There'd be so much fat in the skies it'd be raining blubber for weeks.

Lol.They would look so weak as a nation as well.But it would start a massive war though.

Worth it to see america suffer a little.

Arrogant fat muppets
This is impossible. The only way to get nukes is for the extremists to come into power- that's gonna happen, there's only 10,000 odd of them against one of the best armies in the region. Moreover the religious parties got something like 2.7% of the vote in the previous elections.

Example: Kahuta nuclear power plant. One of my relatives used to work there and says it's practically in the middle of nowhere with barren desert for miles around. The protection and the amount of ground soldiers alone are enough to withstand an attack by literally thousands of militants if said militants and detected and subsequently killed by the air force way before arriving that is. Even if somehow the air force gets immobolised, all the troops have heart attacks etc., it's still possible to barricade from within and make entry impossible until reinforcements arrive.

I made a thread about this a bit ago and something like 85% of agreed with me that the scenario is ridicolous.
Original post by Aj12
Its fairly easy to track nuclear weapons and nuclear materials back to their source. If it turns out they came from Pakistan and was deliberate I would not be surprised to see a nuclear strike on Pakistan tbh.

I would be, as would anyone with any knowledge of diplomacy or even common sense. What would a nuclear strike on Pakistan possibly achieve (other than mass civilian death and universal hatred towards the US from across the entire globe - muslim country or not).
Original post by Aj12
Its easy. You rig a charge with some nuclear material. Dirty bomb done. Over 50 years tens of thousands will die of cancer due to the slight increase in background radiation.

we used to fear biological weapons. then some guy dropped some sarin gas in the underground and even there where it had been thought the rushing tubes would help the gas spread hardly anyone died. the gas just stayed where it was and then very slowly safely dispersed.
i think the same with dirty nuclear bombs. the radiation wouldn't travel anywhere. so yes, if you were unlucky enough to be on the street it went off on, pretty bad. but a block away and no problem, everything will be peachy.
Reply 24
Original post by Redreynard
we used to fear biological weapons. then some guy dropped some sarin gas in the underground and even there where it had been thought the rushing tubes would help the gas spread hardly anyone died. the gas just stayed where it was and then very slowly safely dispersed.
i think the same with dirty nuclear bombs. the radiation wouldn't travel anywhere. so yes, if you were unlucky enough to be on the street it went off on, pretty bad. but a block away and no problem, everything will be peachy.

Depends on the explosive charge
Reply 25
Original post by callum9999
I would be, as would anyone with any knowledge of diplomacy or even common sense. What would a nuclear strike on Pakistan possibly achieve (other than mass civilian death and universal hatred towards the US from across the entire globe - muslim country or not).

It does not matter if it was a Muslim country. If Pakistan Deliberately allowed nuclear material fall into terrorist hands we would see massive retaliation from the US in one form or another
Reply 26
Original post by Mad Vlad
The chances of a terrorist organisation having a viable nuclear device are beyond remote.

Not necessarily, Vlad.

I watched a film/documentary a few days ago called (as I remember) Countdown to Zero; it was about Nuclear Weapons and the threat of Nuclear War and Terrorism.

They commented on how easy it would be to get Weapons-Grade Plutonium via an example of a simple Russian worker who walked into a Submarine Base, through a hole in the fence, opened up an unlocked wooden shed and made away with a half-sphere of WGP. He actually ended up giving it back, if I recall the outcome correctly.

If it was that easy for a simple man, I can't see it being too hard for Al-Qaeda; especially if some Russian Arms nut was doing the selling.

I'm not saying they do, and I'm not saying it would be that easy, and I'm not saying this is an account that could be repeated; but beyond remote? I don't think so.

Hopefully, it is remote, and we're safe. :cool:
Original post by Aj12
It does not matter if it was a Muslim country. If Pakistan Deliberately allowed nuclear material fall into terrorist hands we would see massive retaliation from the US in one form or another

That form NOT being nuclear strikes. As I said, what on earth would it achieve? Absolutely nothing except increasing the world wide hatred of America - and probably increasing the threat of terrorism America currently faces.
Reply 28
That form NOT being nuclear strikes. As I said, what on earth would it achieve? Absolutely nothing except increasing the world wide hatred of America - and probably increasing the threat of terrorism America currently faces.

I don't think they would care if there had been a nuclear attack on US soil
Reply 29
They fact that people believe in Al-Qaeda as an organised structure that you can join is amazing.

What next, commies have spies EVERYWHERE, in our towns, cities, even in your own SOUP.
Original post by Aj12
I don't think they would care if there had been a nuclear attack on US soil

Yes they would care. Have you stopped to think about this? America declaring war - conceivable. America striking military bases - conceivable. America dropping a nuclear bomb - why?

I'm sure the average American on the street would call for it, but despite what it may seem, the people in charge won't make ignorant, knee-jerk revenge attacks.
Reply 31
Yes they would care. Have you stopped to think about this? America declaring war - conceivable. America striking military bases - conceivable. America dropping a nuclear bomb - why?

I'm sure the average American on the street would call for it, but despite what it may seem, the people in charge won't make ignorant, knee-jerk revenge attacks.

You say that. But then you look at Bush. Afghanistan could be seen as a knee jerk reaction. An ill thought out one at that
Original post by Aj12
You say that. But then you look at Bush. Afghanistan could be seen as a knee jerk reaction. An ill thought out one at that

You could see it as a knee jerk reaction - but it wasn't a mind-numbingly stupid one like this.

Plus it involved quite a bit of planning and analysis.
Id say it's impossible. Unless the Pakistani govt is run by terrorists... Which it's not. It costs a lot and takes a lot of effort to build and maintain nuclear arms
Reply 34
Original post by DH-Biker
Not necessarily, Vlad.

I watched a film/documentary a few days ago called (as I remember) Countdown to Zero; it was about Nuclear Weapons and the threat of Nuclear War and Terrorism.

They commented on how easy it would be to get Weapons-Grade Plutonium via an example of a simple Russian worker who walked into a Submarine Base, through a hole in the fence, opened up an unlocked wooden shed and made away with a half-sphere of WGP. He actually ended up giving it back, if I recall the outcome correctly.

If it was that easy for a simple man, I can't see it being too hard for Al-Qaeda; especially if some Russian Arms nut was doing the selling.

I'm not saying they do, and I'm not saying it would be that easy, and I'm not saying this is an account that could be repeated; but beyond remote? I don't think so.

Hopefully, it is remote, and we're safe. :cool:

Using plutonium to make a nuclear bomb is far harder than using uranium given that it requires an implosion design. I wouldn't be concerned with a non-state terrorist group having a chunk of plutonium as long as they were focused on creating a nuclear bomb rather than a dirty bomb. Enriched uranium is the big concern.
Reply 35
Original post by jose
Using plutonium to make a nuclear bomb is far harder than using uranium given that it requires an implosion design. I wouldn't be concerned with a non-state terrorist group having a chunk of plutonium as long as they were focused on creating a nuclear bomb rather than a dirty bomb. Enriched uranium is the big concern.

Oh, I see.

Well, still, they do have the capability to do so. I would rather they not get their hands on WGP in any case.

They couldn't make a large-megaton warhead; in any case, 1-megaton would still decimate half of London. Or New York...

Original post by Aj12

Unlikely unless the terrorist group managed to overpower the Pakistani army (who are defending nuclear sites) which isn't going to happen. I think the US is more fearful of this happening in Iran if they ever managed to build nukes.
I don't think anyone is resting their hopes on assurances from Pakistan. The US will be watching every speck of dust within miles of those nukes, and if it has to come to it, they will just take care of things themselves.
Reply 38
Theres a possiblity the usa could do a false flag attack again on a massive scale.

9/11 and operation northwoods ect.

Still cant believe what they were planning for operation northwoods.People actually trust that goverment lol
Reply 39
Original post by Alex Jones
Theres a possiblity the usa could do a false flag attack again on a massive scale.

9/11 and operation northwoods ect.

Still cant believe what they were planning for operation northwoods.People actually trust that goverment lol

Ok bro, whatever you say.

Now go play with your little toys and let the intelligent people speak.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending