The Student Room Group

Post-Scarcity

What would a world look like in which all processes were automated and we had access to unlimited resources (or at least practically) What place would that leave for the average individual?

Personally, I would suggest that this instead of creating purposelessness as many people would claim, it would foster newfound ambitions and dedication to a particular art or craft. Though, it is entirely possible that humanity would regress into hedonism and the endless pursuit of perverted satisfaction.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by quagmiretoilet
What would a world look like in which all processes were automated and we had access to unlimited resources (or at least practically) What place would that leave for the average individual?

Personally, I would suggest that this instead of creating purposelessness as many people would claim, it would foster newfound ambitions and dedication to a particular art or craft. Though, it is entirely possible that humanity would regress into hedonism and the endless pursuit of perverted satisfaction.

I'd say that if we look back at human history then greater prosperity in society has created happiness rather than destroyed it, so only reasonable to predict that this would continue. Most people would agree that shorter work weeks, less physical and more intellectual/creative labour and more possibilities (in everything including work, food, travel, experiences, entertainment, hobbies) make life better and not worse. The world is also much more peaceful and inclusive today than a few centuries ago, and people live much longer lives (although there are exceptions to this general trend of course).

As a counter-argument though, with greater prosperity and technology also came nuclear weapons, various addictions, rising inequality and more. So greater and better resources solve many problems, but may even worsen or deepen others.

Quick Reply

Latest