The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Geography - Unit 3 Pre-release topic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Drtux
Hi all

This is a quick mind-map I have knocked up for the Maghreb region.
It is not perfect, and I will be updating it later but its good enough for now.
I apologise for the massive number of spelling errors etc. but the program I use doesn't have a spell check or grammar check and I CBA to look through it all (too much to do)

Also as a quick note the fire is 284.3 KB but it is Very Very big in terms of screen space, so you will have to scroll a lot to look at it, again this is a fault with the program I use and I can do nothing about it.

Ben

Edit: the image is impossible to read I should really have checked that first :colondollar:
I will try to solve it.

Edit: Solved go to this link to get the map as a PDF like I have done with the other documents I have put on this topic. http://www.scribd.com/doc/54953775/Maghreb-Region

New version available.

Now includes some more points under environment.
A case study for the UNESCO sites in Morocco and a small part on the Solar 2010 and 2011 talks.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/54953775/Maghreb-Region

Ben
Reply 61
Does anyone have any ideas for parallel examples?

Also you know if you want to refer to the figure from the pre release material in the exam do you call it for example figure 4, or do you just write about it without saying its from the figure?

Reply 62
Hey is there a way to access this at a size that it will print? Or can you split it into a printable size?

Thanks its a great resource! :biggrin:
Reply 63
Original post by smaule20
Hey is there a way to access this at a size that it will print? Or can you split it into a printable size?

Thanks its a great resource! :biggrin:

Ummmm.....

Not easily would be the short answer.

I suppose you could cut it up into sections and then print it but it is so big...

I could try exporting only one branch at a time that there would still be problems then i expect not to mention the time involved in doing each branch separately.

I'll think about it as I would like to print a copy for myself to.

Ben
Reply 64
Ok thanks :smile: maybe try getting it printed on A3 if I can at school or something :smile: might need A1 though lol :P
Reply 65
Original post by smaule20
Ok thanks :smile: maybe try getting it printed on A3 if I can at school or something :smile: might need A1 though lol :P

I was thinking similar, they own me a favour so I sigh be able to persuade them...

Other than doing each branch as a image then printing them I can't see a way of getting it to a sensible size.

I'm going to sleep on it then see, but I am not hopeful.

Ben
Reply 66
I got a request for revision stuff I have made/got for this topic.
So here in no particular order are the first ten files.

Antarctic Fisheries.doc Biodiversity
34061077-California-and-Water.pdf Water
Biodiversity.jpeg Biodiversity
Climate change and biodiversity.doc Biodiversity
Europe and Russia.doc Energy
Free trade.doc Development/Superpowers
Humans and the Hydrological cycle.doc Water
New Zealand alien invasions Possums.doc Biodiversity
Kenya Technological Gap.doc Technological Fix
Social ideals.doc Superpowers

Ben
Reply 67
Here is part 2.

This time two files wouldn't fit due to size there are found here

http://www.scribd.com/doc/55198832/Unit-3-Topical-Content-3-winter2010-11-web All apart from water

http://www.scribd.com/doc/55198819/The-Internet-Factsheet Technological Fix

Superpowers China and India.doc Superpowers
Superpowers China.jpeg Superpowers
Superpowers.doc Superpowers
Social Darwinism.ppt Superpowers
The Big energy Players.doc Energy
The Development gap.jpeg Development Gap
The value of Reef's.png Biodiversity
What’s the UK’s energy risks.jpeg Energy

Also look at

http://www.scribd.com/Laura2611 (good revision stuff)

Ben
Reply 68
Finally some biodiversity case studies that my teacher did for us and some water security cards(the images) I made as a joke homework, but still relevant.

Not all of the cards fit so just one more post.

Ben
Reply 69
lonely last remaining card.

Ben
Wow, just read through the whole threadand all the resources here are great! If I find anything useful in addition I'll post it.

Anyone have any new ideas on questions? Judging by the amount of stuff on Morocco's tourism in the pe-release there has got to be something on that.
Reply 71
Original post by THEALB10N
Wow, just read through the whole threadand all the resources here are great! If I find anything useful in addition I'll post it.

Anyone have any new ideas on questions? Judging by the amount of stuff on Morocco's tourism in the per-release there has got to be something on that.

I was running on the principle that question A) is going to be on the causes for the development gap (the conflicts and history)
B) is going to be an evaluate question on the environmental impacts of development
C) is going to be something about the futures so possibly the tourism bits.

What do you lot think is a sensible way to look at things?

Ben
Reply 72
Original post by Drtux
I got a request for revision stuff I have made/got for this topic.
So here in no particular order are the first ten files.

Antarctic Fisheries.doc Biodiversity
34061077-California-and-Water.pdf Water
Biodiversity.jpeg Biodiversity
Climate change and biodiversity.doc Biodiversity
Europe and Russia.doc Energy
Free trade.doc Development/Superpowers
Humans and the Hydrological cycle.doc Water
New Zealand alien invasions Possums.doc Biodiversity
Kenya Technological Gap.doc Technological Fix
Social ideals.doc Superpowers

Ben

Ben you're a geography god! thanks for all the resources you've put up :biggrin:
Reply 73
Original post by Amy_D6
Ben you're a geography god! thanks for all the resources you've put up :biggrin:

Bah I wish that was true when it comes to the actual exams!

The last ones I did were both E :mad:

Ben
Anyone have ideas for what the question will be on?

I have a hunch it will creep towards a bit of tourism in Morocco,
EU and trading between the Maghreb
and finally there maybe something on impacts of terrorism.

Any other ideas?
Original post by Drtux
I was running on the principle that question A) is going to be on the causes for the development gap (the conflicts and history)
B) is going to be an evaluate question on the environmental impacts of development
C) is going to be something about the futures so possibly the tourism bits.

What do you lot think is a sensible way to look at things?

Ben

Yes, that sounds pretty reasonable. When you say "causes for the development gap" do you mean between the Meghreb and the wider world, or within the Maghreb?
Other than the political disputes, what else would be a cause?

The the environmen, I guess we'd talk about desertification and water insecurity. What else?

"To what extent will tourism play a part in Morocco's/the Maghreb's futue development?" That's what we came up with in class.
Original post by THEALB10N
Yes, that sounds pretty reasonable. When you say "causes for the development gap" do you mean between the Meghreb and the wider world, or within the Maghreb?
Other than the political disputes, what else would be a cause?

The the environmen, I guess we'd talk about desertification and water insecurity. What else?

"To what extent will tourism play a part in Morocco's/the Maghreb's futue development?" That's what we came up with in class.

Lack of resources, large migration rates and cultural constraints each are in their own way causes for the development gap, which all together contribute to tense international relations.
Is there a definite structure of:
Explain (present + causes)
Evaluate (present) and
Assess (future)
For the 3 Q's
(edited 12 years ago)
does the 'millenium development goals' play a large part in this unit? Also how do you make synoptic links? My teachers just taught the theory and left that out completely.
Reply 79
Original post by hazelsaurus
does the 'millenium development goals' play a large part in this unit? Also how do you make synoptic links? My teachers just taught the theory and left that out completely.

You make synoptic links by just mentioning the stuff that you have studied in other units like for example in the case of energy security and the fact that the arctic contain 25% of the remaining natural gas and oil in the world you would say that due t global warming the arctic ice is melting therefore leaving these areas exposed. This would be a synoptic link to unit 1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending