The Student Room Group

Most Boring A Level????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TlanTlan
Typical girl :biggrin:

I don´t understand the neggs but right. I always hated maths and physics. I really did my best but the results were such a mess. :-) I admire people who are good at it.

I am more into cultural subjects or literature because there is not always right or wrong. So if I have different ideas and can find proof for it, I am right, too. but I can´t discuss numbers. There is right or go home idiot. :-)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 161
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist

Mechanics is really hard, because it's completely unlike core maths. The actual maths is easy - it's almost entirely just rearranging algebra, plugging in formulas, a little basic trigonometry and differentiation/integration. Really simple stuff.

The hard bit is deciding what to do. You memorise (this isn't too hard) a ton of formulae and ways of working stuff out, but a mechanics question is highly un-structured. You have to work out what formulae to apply, and realise what route to take to find unknowns from knowns. It's hard logical thinking, not hard maths. More satisfying than core maths when you get the answer though :smile:

Oh, dear. Just today, I was reconsidering my plan to drop Math and you tell me this. I still want to wait till I see my AS grade though. Might still drop it actually, oh well. But then, universities like all these subjects where our logical thinking is tested. I might carry it on. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Original post by Moyosola
Oh, dear. Just today, I was reconsidering my plan to drop Math and you tell me this. I still want to wait till I see my AS grade though. Might still drop it actually, oh well. But then, universities like all these subjects where our logical thinking is tested. I might carry it on. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

My bad :colondollar: the best advice: never drop anything until you get your AS grades. Don't throw away an opportunity too soon :tongue: if you're really worried about doing M1 at A2, get a little preparation in during the summer somehow :smile: I have to say, though I find it hard, it's probably still the most enjoyable bit of maths :rolleyes:
Original post by louiseyoung
because you could carry on doing it in the hope it'll get less boring but it actually gets worse

research methods in sociology is terrible :s-smilie:

Sociology is most Definatly the most boaring. My exam is next week and i dropped it today. Im repeating my AS year. Dreading it as i no nobody in the year below me. Chemistry and Biology are my Fav! :smile:
Reply 164

My bad :colondollar: the best advice: never drop anything until you get your AS grades. Don't throw away an opportunity too soon :tongue: if you're really worried about doing M1 at A2, get a little preparation in during the summer somehow :smile: I have to say, though I find it hard, it's probably still the most enjoyable bit of maths :rolleyes:

Yeah, funny enough, they told us this in Life Skills this morning.
And we do have classes after our exams for the first bits of A2. I can't wait. I'm bored of AS already. Too much emphasis on exams, I'm constantly thinking "alright, end already -_-"
but thanks. I feel much better about Math anyway. Revision's been good.
How's your revision going? :smile:
Original post by Moyosola
Yeah, funny enough, they told us this in Life Skills this morning.
And we do have classes after our exams for the first bits of A2. I can't wait. I'm bored of AS already. Too much emphasis on exams, I'm constantly thinking "alright, end already -_-"
but thanks. I feel much better about Math anyway. Revision's been good.
How's your revision going? :smile:

Done all the easy bits, delayed all the hard bits. Gonna get my head down some day soon...
Original post by hassi94
Depends on your interests. I'd personally think Business Studies is the most boring thing on earth but some people enjoy it. Out of the subjects I do I think chemistry's the most boring.

I beyond disagree with this, because chemistry is by far my favourite subject :smile:

I take government and politics and its pretty dull... its just dates and names of loads of old people, what book they wrote and the background of loads of political ideologies! *yawn*
Original post by cheekymon999
I beyond disagree with this, because chemistry is by far my favourite subject :smile:

I take government and politics and its pretty dull... its just dates and names of loads of old people, what book they wrote and the background of loads of political ideologies! *yawn*

Yeah there are a few people in my class who really like it - it's just not for me really! I'm quite good at it, having got As in my ISA/Unit 1 but I just don't enjoy it one bit. Find it very tedious and for some reason I feel it had no real point. With physics it explains how things in every day life work. Biology describes how organisms work. And everything chemistry describes I just don't really care about haha :smile:

With a thread like this we're bound to get different opinions - it's just an opinion thread after all anyway...
Original post by hassi94
Yeah there are a few people in my class who really like it - it's just not for me really! I'm quite good at it, having got As in my ISA/Unit 1 but I just don't enjoy it one bit. Find it very tedious and for some reason I feel it had no real point. With physics it explains how things in every day life work. Biology describes how organisms work. And everything chemistry describes I just don't really care about haha :smile:

With a thread like this we're bound to get different opinions - it's just an opinion thread after all anyway...

yeah yeah i know :smile: and god i really cant stand physics!! i always hated it! i do biology as well but its not as fun :smile: its just cool! i prefer practical things to just plain writing, its quite boring :wink:
Has to be ICT in my opinion
General Studies.
Critical Thinking. Zzzzzz
Reply 172
I'm doing it at uni, but at A-level they seem to do their best to suck all of the life out of Physics, it's so drab :s
Reply 173
Definately Sociology and Maths! ><
Original post by soutioirsim
I found biology quite boring. It seemed like it was just memorising facts and then repeating it in the exam.

...So I dropped it after a month and picked up further maths! :borat:

I didn't drop it at the right time now I'm stuck with it, my retake is in 3 days, and 12 days till my unit 2 exam >.<
Reply 175
ICT. Just terrible, It was not only boring but I don't feel I learnt anything of any value.

Proved by my AS class dropping from about 15 in AS to 4 in A2, I stuck it out till the end. Thank god, I'm done with it. :redface:
Original post by recurring500
What do you think?

Out of all my A Levels I find business studies the most boring... But I don't really share a passion for it that other members in my class do... :biggrin:
Erm anyone heard of a subject called General Studies?

Yeah my thought is exactly.

I try to erase it from my brain before I go to bed. It. Is. The. Worst. Subject. Ever. I repeat: ever.
Original post by Cool_JordH
Erm anyone heard of a subject called General Studies?

Yeah my thought is exactly.

I try to erase it from my brain before I go to bed. It. Is. The. Worst. Subject. Ever. I repeat: ever.

is general studies similar to citizenship? cos thats the worst :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XXSimmyXX
is general studies similar to citizenship? cos thats the worst :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never studied Citizenship. But General Studies basically you learn how people should conserve their space such as why is it wrong to build houses beautiful surroundings... What it means to be powerful (as in how what's fair and what's not like government controlling minimum wages). (All this yr)

I honestly can't even remember what the exam was on last yr.

Quick Reply

Latest