The Student Room Group

AS Geography Unit 1 AQA - 17th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Jack Dolan
I found the majority of it was common sense, a lot of it I just made up on the spot, and I found I needed hardly any case studies, which was good as I only knew a small number. I'm pretty sure that I'll get full UMS for it

even if it doesnt ask for case studies to get full marks you need some. so dont get happy for your full ums stuff
Reply 81
Original post by angela4910
what did u put for the swine flu being a global concern question? and the waterfall labelling

Can't really remember. I just quoted things that were in the article, as it said that reported cases in a lot of countries increased. :smile:

And I talked about corony heart disease and partly obesity for the health 15 marker. I don't really know what they meant by non-communicable, I just hope they wanted us to talk about a non-infectious disease. :s-smilie:
Reply 82
Original post by Desecrator
Can't really remember. I just quoted things that were in the article, as it said that reported cases in a lot of countries increased. :smile:

And I talked about corony heart disease and partly obesity for the health 15 marker. I don't really know what they meant by non-communicable, I just hope they wanted us to talk about a non-infectious disease. :s-smilie:

yeah they wanted ones like heart disease obesity and diabetes stuff. well i talked about them but kinda of forgot what impacts heart disease has. as u were only supposed to use ONE disease
Original post by S_123
Lol I've messed up a lot more than one question :p: From the looks of what I've seen in this thread, you seem to have done really well! :smile:
Thank you! You too!

Looks can be deceptive. I thought I had done really well last year, only to ultimately get a C.

Reply 84
Original post by S_123
Oh no, are you serious? 15 markers should only take 15 minutes!! Don't worry, it's possible to get an A even if the only questions you answered were the 15 markers (granted you need almost full marks for each one). You can still pass though :smile:

i did two 15 markers fairly well (i think) and another 15 marker really crappy. and i ddnt even attempt another 15 marker (ran out of time), but i did some of the smaller questions, just not all. idk!! ill just revise alot for unit 2 and maybe resit if i had to.

how did it go for you? and where/what did you do for fieldwork for unit 2?
yeah they wanted ones like heart disease obesity and diabetes stuff. well i talked about them but kinda of forgot what impacts heart disease has. as u were only supposed to use ONE disease

Coronary Heart Disease often impacts a person by leading to obesity and diabetes. That's why it was such a beautiful disease to use because you could bring in impacts from 3 areas instead of 1 :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by eilrahc
Did anyone do the cold environments questions, the picture about moraines?

I found the cold environments, moraine questions to be very obscure...did anyone else have the same problem?!
Original post by alittlehelp

Original post by alittlehelp
a lot of my friends put hiv and aids for the last question on non communicable diseases, anyone else?

yeah lots of people did too in my school!
thats 15 marks gone!
Reply 88
Have done completely sh**

Didnt see the first question for labelling nor did i do the waterfall question and missed two 15 mark questions! AHHHH

What did people put for marine erosion, the definition of mass movement and features of the picture which showed mass movement had happened?
Reply 89
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
Coronary Heart Disease often impacts a person by leading to obesity and diabetes. That's why it was such a beautiful disease to use because you could bring in impacts from 3 areas instead of 1 :smile:

well then i ****ed up big time. as all i kept on going is absenteeism and how they will have lost thier jobs and shizz like that well is too late now :frown:
Original post by cinquee
I found the cold environments, moraine questions to be very obscure...did anyone else have the same problem?!

Yeah, at first I didn't see the zones and talked about terminal. I ended up writing a few lines about lateral/medial :/ yourself?
Reply 91
Original post by raag11
Have done completely sh**

Didnt see the first question for labelling nor did i do the waterfall question and missed two 15 mark questions! AHHHH

What did people put for marine erosion, the definition of mass movement and features of the picture which showed mass movement had happened?

marine erosion? dont remember that stuff.
mass movement i put some shizz about landslides due to less stabilisation and erosion.
and the picture i put top soil removed. cliff scree at the bottom of image and yeah some other shizz i cnt remember
Reply 92

isnt it obesity that leads to chd and diabetes? i don't understand how having a bad heart can lead to being fat.. or maybe its the fact that you can't exercise as good with a weak heart? i should really pay more attention for my exams to come rather than the exams that have gone
Original post by huggies55
isnt it obesity that leads to chd and diabetes? i don't understand how having a bad heart can lead to being fat.. or maybe its the fact that you can't exercise as good with a weak heart? i should really pay more attention for my exams to come rather than the exams that have gone

Smoking can lead to CHD. So if a person smokes a lot, then they could get CHD and as a result of not being able to exercise, get fat.
Reply 94
Original post by heymynameisben
Yeah, at first I didn't see the zones and talked about terminal. I ended up writing a few lines about lateral/medial :/ yourself?

I mentioned recessional moraines and a bit about kame terraces as they were in the pic...
But the second one about where the moraine came from....aaaah :/!
Reply 95
I really messed this exam up in my opinion. My friends say I always say things like that when I come out of exams, but with this one I was close to running out of time. I had to write in about half the space required for some 15 mark questions and then go back to them at the end to fill the space more with some waffling. I just hope that I'm questioning myself; I got an A in my mock and I don't think it went as well as that, but I had the sinking feeling in my stomach when I looked at the clock; lets see what August brings, maybe a good grade or a re-sit paper.

Regarding the Cold Environments question (I did Cold Environments and Food Supply Issues), the picture wasn't the best - if anyone agrees with me? A more aerial picture would've helped. I ended up putting Lateral and Medial for Section A of the image.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 96
Smoking can lead to CHD. So if a person smokes a lot, then they could get CHD and as a result of not being able to exercise, get fat.

oh yeah i forgot
i hope i get an A *laughs at myself*
Reply 97
Original post by heymynameisben
Pissed off I missed the very first question about labeling the picture >:frown:
Apart from that the paper went okay although the 15 marker for the food supply was a bit ambiguous ( I wrote about organic and locally produced food)

I didn't see the first question as labelling the diagram!!!!!! How many marks was it?
LUCKILY myself, I did label the diagram anyway to help me with the 7 marker...eeeeek! But probably not in enough detail?
Reply 98
Original post by cinquee
I didn't see the first question as labelling the diagram!!!!!! How many marks was it?
LUCKILY myself, I did label the diagram anyway to help me with the 7 marker...eeeeek! But probably not in enough detail?

it was 4. but then if u labelled it u should still get it
well then i ****ed up big time. as all i kept on going is absenteeism and how they will have lost thier jobs and shizz like that well is too late now :frown:

That's correct though. You could have mentioned the stress it would place on the NHS as a result of obesity related illnesses - 60% of the UK could be obese by 2050 (I 'made' it up, but it was true). Also, if they're unable to work then they'd get disability payments, placing a strain on the benefit system, and being reliant on state support etc.

Just don't over-think it. Each answer is independent and there would be a lot of points that get ticks. You'll be fine :smile:

Good luck Tuesday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending