The Student Room Group

PHYA1 - Physics Unit 1 Exam - 24th May 2011

Poll

Are you resitting this unit?

Physics Unit 1: Particles, Quantum Phenomena and Electricity

I'm resitting this exam in summer. There's just under 2 months left now. How's everyones revision going? I have attatched the June 2010 + January 2011 past papers with the marks schemes so everyone can use them for revision purposes. The other past papers can be found on the AQA website. I will also attach the AQA nelson thornes textbook answers. Hope you enjoy and goodluck with revision and especially the exam!! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3
can anyone give me the mark scheme for aqa as physics jan 2011 Unit 2-Mechanics,Materials and Waves(PHYA2)

plz i need them for revision

Thanks in advance:smile:
Reply 4
do you have the actual chapter questions or know where to find them?
Original post by yaya1
do you have the actual chapter questions or know where to find them?

examination style questions ?
Reply 6
Original post by Whatever9999
examination style questions ?

Yes. exactly those.
Reply 9
Original post by whatever9999
the other chapters

The actual questions, not the answers.
Original post by yaya1
The actual questions, not the answers.

they are in the book :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Do you know where we can find all the specimen papers, i know theres one on the aqa website, but isit worth doing them aswel?
Reply 12
I dont have a book LLOL

But im using CGP now so its cool.
one week tomorrow
particle won't be a problem, just trying to remember those damn circuit laws... :s
Technically not resitting since I joined late and wasn't registered for the January exam.
A little bit worried about the first 3 chapters though. Particle physics kinda bug me a bit, while electricity is quite straight forward :biggrin:
Not resitting, didn't fancy doing it in January. I'm feeling okay about the exams. The knowledge is there... my exam technique is pretty ropey though.
When calculating the ratio Charge/Mass of an ion, do you not have to include the mass of the electrons?
Reply 17
Anybody Know how you can tell it is a W+ or W- boson in a feynman diagram? theres 5 diagrams i got and i don't think theres a way you can work it out, unless you memorise it?

Quote me in response
Original post by Master S P
Anybody Know how you can tell it is a W+ or W- boson in a feynman diagram? theres 5 diagrams i got and i don't think theres a way you can work it out, unless you memorise it?

Quote me in response

Work it out via the conservation of charge for that specific reaction...

So for Beta+ decay:

P --> n + e+ + Ve
B 1 1 0 0
L 0 0 1 1
Q 1 0 1 -1

Obviously between the two sides there is not unbalanced charge. So the weak force must be positive - so that the right side has now a charge of +1 to match the proton's charge.

I'm **** at explaining things - this is just how I remember it...

I'm not even sure if this is the right way to remember it - but it seems to work with all the diagrams we need to know...
Original post by jones_wise
When calculating the ratio Charge/Mass of an ion, do you not have to include the mass of the electrons?

when it asks that, it tends to say "of the nucleus" so since the electrons aren't included in that, you wouldn't include the mass of the electrons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending