The Student Room Group

OCR AS - Chemistry Unit F322 - Chains, energy and resource - REVISION!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
could some detail what we need to know about Green Chemistry. cheers
Reply 301
Original post by timkench
anyone else done the june 2010 paper and found it really hard?

I haven't really done past papers yet but I have looked at them and found them hard!

Unit 1 was so easy I used to get full marks without revision but this is so different! :'(

I feel so behind compared to everyone on this thread! ahhhhhhhhhhhh :l:frown:
Reply 302
1i)What is Ethyl-1,2-diol + Propanoic acid... List the conditions and reagents required for the reaction.

ii)Why does Alcohol dissolve in water
iii) Suggest why Methan-1-ol dissolves in water but Pentan-1-ol does not.

iv) Which is more sustainable, Fermentation of glucose or Hydration of Ethene, and explain why.
Original post by J DOT A
1i)What is Ethyl-1,2-diol + Propanoic acid... List the conditions and reagents required for the reaction.

iv) Which is more sustainable, Fermentation of glucose or Hydration of Ethene, and explain why.

I think you mean Ethane-1,2-diol, which makes ethyl propanoate
H2SO4 catalyst & heat
Reply 304
The book says they can ask us for a mechanism with h2o acting as a nucleophile, how on earth would we do that? :/l
Reply 305
subscribed out of panic
Reply 306
Original post by warthogBE
Acrobat is being stupid - well, not really, but the file is too large to upload, so here you go:

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=98906&d...

Cheers-sorry i'm a week late, got too caught up in the studying
Reply 307
Original post by J DOT A

*Its esterification. Conditions are heat and concentrated sulphuric acid as a catalyst.
*Hydrogen bonding occurs between water and alcohol molecules
*Fermentation, as glucose can be made, so it is a renewable source of energy. Ethene is obtained from crude oil, which can run out soon, so isn't sustainable.
Original post by tripodd
The book says they can ask us for a mechanism with h2o acting as a nucleophile, how on earth would we do that? :/l

I need help on that 1 too!
Reply 309
Original post by Pandit Bandit

I assume that means the H20 breaks up into an OH ion and H atom. Then you can just use the OH ion is the nucleophile. I have never heard of that before though...
Original post by tripodd

I don't think that's on the syllabus... In any case, if it is just use the OH- as the nucleophile. It doen't really matter if it comes from KOH or NaOH or H2O, it's still a nucleophile so the mechanism is the same!
Reply 311
Original post by Pandit Bandit

you should use OH^- as the nucleophile
Reply 312
i need help with Hiss diagrams...could someone say which way the arrows point if we are given information for "enthalpy change of formation" and asked to work out 'enthalpy change of combustion'. And vise versa.
Reply 313
Bond enthalpy is the energy change to break 1 mole of a covalent bond in the gaseous state.
Reply 314
Original post by Flint_09
i need help with Hiss diagrams...could someone say which way the arrows point if we are given information for "enthalpy change of formation" and asked to work out 'enthalpy change of combustion'. And vise versa.

For enthalpy of combustion, the bottom box has to be carbon dioxide and water. Therefore, point both arrows down to the bottom box. Don't forget to put balancing numbers in, and use them for calculating the enthalpy changes.

For enthalpy of formation, its the opposite-the arrows point upwards. This is because you put all the elements in the reaction in the bottom box, so arrows go from the bottom box to the two other boxes.

I hope you can understand that...please tell me if you cant so i can try and explain better.
Reply 315
Original post by Jim Lee
For enthalpy of combustion, the bottom box has to be carbon dioxide and water. Therefore, point both arrows down to the bottom box. Don't forget to put balancing numbers in, and use them for calculating the enthalpy changes.

For enthalpy of formation, its the opposite-the arrows point upwards. This is because you put all the elements in the reaction in the bottom box, so arrows go from the bottom box to the two other boxes.

I hope you can understand that...please tell me if you cant so i can try and explain better.

that's brilliant! I got it, cheers
Reply 316
heres a question - what is le chatiliers principle and how does it effect the production of ammonia
Reply 317
cant remeber module 4 properly ;/
Reply 318
Can anyone explain ozone and the chlorine radicals equations?
Reply 319
2 days to gooo revise mark schemes best way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending