The Student Room Group

AQA June 2011 Mechanics 1B 26th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by seejay1
I got t=40 for the heli.
m=9 and v=7 for the balls.
250 for the first part of projectiles.
253 or something for the second part (sqrt(x+y))
angle around 8 degrees

Tension was T-mg=ma, so working the downwards for 1 ball has to equal the upwards of the other ball... my answers came out the same so managed to get the tension.

Last question was a joke though. The whole paper was definitely harder than most (changing around of questions like projectiles etc, using tan and s=ut+1/2at^2 about 3 times)... hopefully should push the grade boundaries down but IMO the last question was the only hard one.

i got the same as you for all these questions excepted ****ed up on last parts of helicoptre, last quesiton was pretty easy just some rearanging finding q in terms of p etc. Then for the second part find a value or p, something like PSin80 = 250g then put that value into the equation and you get a as somewhere like 2.7 i cant remeber though anywhere between 1 and 3
Original post by emma363
can anyone remember what questions 1/2/3 were about? o_O

Q1) It involved a crane and suvat calculations
Q2) Wooden block diagram and calculating friction/accelaration
Q3) Cameras that record the time of a car... suvat

:wink:
That my friends, was hell on paper D:
thinking im gonna get a C. Convinced myself that itll be fine though.
-If i get a C then resit it to an A, it'll look better as I improved greater
-I dont need it for my single maths A level as i already have 86 and 87 in S1 and D1
Reply 123
Original post by laura--
I am kicking myself so bad right now, but i didn't put my answers to 3 sf all of the time :/ does anyone know how many marks they will knock off for this? Will it be one for every question?

I hink they can only penalise it once in the paper, but if you look at the mark scheme most the time it says accept 8.754 for example even though it should be written to 3.s.f, it just depends on how much of a mood the examiner is in when he/she marks you paper...
Hey guys! Did this exam today and I am gonna try and put as much solutions as I can possibly think of. If you think you didn't do too well, it might not be a good idea to read on, and that is to avoid disappointment :tongue:

For the first question, I remember finding the tension which was 8,000 N.

The second question, where you had to sketch the graph of speed-time, it was 64 seconds for it to get from its contstant speed, to decelerate to 18 m/s. The graph should have looked like this: A straight line going for 12.5 seconds at 32 m/s, then the line would slope down linearly to 76.5 seconds at 18 m/s The average speed was the whole distance of 2000 meters, divided by the time taken which was (64 + 12.5), answer was something like 26.1 m/s

Not sure on the question number for this one, but it is the one with the momentum. V=7. M=9.

Connected particles over a pulley was nice and simple. 2.45 m/s^2 acceleration (given in the question) and the rest of it was Suvat, where you had to calculate the time it took to drop to the surface, and then you calculate the velocity as it hits the surface by doing ROUTE( 2 x acceleration x displacement)

The helicopter question (I screwed this one up, but i know the right answer) you were supposed to find only the horizontal velocity, which was 12.5 You would then use that to find the time at the end, the time was 40 seconds (I did my calculation another way and got 39.9, absolutely gutted)

The projectiles question was nice and easy. The velocity was 250. The angle at the end was 8.91, which makes sense really.

Finally, the last question, which when i saw i thought there was no way i'd be getting this one right, It was actually quite do-able. You had to find an equation for Q vertically and horizontally. Then you would simply be left with simultaneous equations, where you would have two equations which equal Q. The Q would disappear and you will be left with P and g/a bla bla. you would work your way until you get 2P= 250g/sin80 + 250a/cos80 (or something like that) and then you simply divide everything by 2, then you pull the 125 out to put it in the form they wanted.

Finally, the last part was finding the acceleration when Q was zero. For this you had to take the equation for P whereby it was the one which had the "250g" in and not "250a" because you wouldnt know the a (obviously). You would find the value for P, and then you simply do F=ma. Where it was Pcos80 = 250a. Answer was 1.73 m/s/s

I am pretty ticked off about screwing up the helicopters question. I have honestly never done a question like that before, and had simply no idea how to get the right answer :frown:

Bear in mind, i did this exam after TWO HOURS AND A HALF of Religious studies non-stop writing.

Not all my solutions are 100% correct. I could be wrong. So far, I don't see why they would be.

I hope that helped!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 125
Original post by ANTI-GADDAFI
Hey guys! Did this exam today and I am gonna try and put as much solutions as I can possibly think of. If you think you didn't do too well, it might not be a good idea to read on, and that is to avoid disappointment :tongue:

For the first question, I remember finding the tension which was 8,000 N.

The second question, where you had to sketch the graph of speed-time, it was 64 seconds for it to get from its contstant speed, to decelerate to 18 m/s. The graph should have looked like this: A straight line going for 12.5 seconds at 32 m/s, then the line would slope down linearly to 76.5 seconds at 18 m/s The average speed was the whole distance of 2000 meters, divided by the time taken which was (64 + 12.5), answer was something like 26.1 m/s

Not sure on the question number for this one, but it is the one with the momentum. V=7. M=9.

Connected particles over a pulley was nice and simple. 2.45 m/s^2 acceleration (given in the question) and the rest of it was Suvat, where you had to calculate the time it took to drop to the surface, and then you calculate the velocity as it hits the surface by doing ROUTE( 2 x acceleration x displacement)

The helicopter question (I screwed this one up, but i know the right answer) you were supposed to find only the horizontal velocity, which was 12.5 You would then use that to find the time at the end, the time was 40 seconds (I did my calculation another way and got 39.9, absolutely gutted)

The projectiles question was nice and easy. The velocity was 250. The angle at the end was 8.91, which makes sense really.

Finally, the last question, which when i saw i thought there was no way i'd be getting this one right, It was actually quite do-able. You had to find an equation for Q vertically and horizontally. Then you would simply be left with simultaneous equations, where you would have two equations which equal Q. The Q would disappear and you will be left with P and g/a bla bla. you would work your way until you get 2P= 250g/sin80 + 250a/cos80 (or something like that) and then you simply divide everything by 2, then you pull the 125 out to put it in the form they wanted.

Finally, the last part was finding the acceleration when Q was zero. For this you had to take the equation for P whereby it was the one which had the "250g" in and not "250a" because you wouldnt know the a (obviously). You would find the value for P, and then you simply do F=ma. Where it was Pcos80 = 250a. Answer was 1.73 m/s/s

I am pretty ticked off about screwing up the helicopters question. I have honestly never done a question like that before, and had simply no idea how to get the right answer :frown:

Bear in mind, i did this exam after TWO HOURS AND A HALF of Religious studies non-stop writing.

Not all my solutions are 100% correct. I could be wrong. So far, I don't see why they would be.

I hope that helped!

Got exactly this, but one thing I remember and you missed is the height of the cliff the gun/arrow was shot at, the height h was 78.4m if I remember correctly?

Also, Where you have V=7 and M=9
I think I got 17 for the velocity, don't remember too well, may just have been a typo or I'm wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ANTI-GADDAFI

The velocity was 253ish, not 250. 250 was just the horizontal component. Unlucky on the 39.9...
Original post by justravi
Got exactly this, but one thing I remember and you missed is the height of the cliff the gun/arrow was shot at, the height h was 78.4m if I remember correctly?

Also, Where you have V=7 and M=9
I think I got 17 for the velocity, don't remember too well, may just have been a typo or I'm wrong.

Was this for the vectors question?
I got 17 as the value for M and I can't remember what I got for V.

How did everybody find this exam? Personally I thought it was great. :biggrin:
The only question that threw me was proving what P equalled and it took me about 20 minutes because I made a mistake when forming an equation for Q...
Then with like 2 minutes left I realised I left out the last part of the helicopter question and it was a mad rush to do it, I got my final answer as 40. Does this sound right to others who worked it out?
Reply 128
The particles colliding question.
Mass of particle B i got 9kg and the velocity I got 17j m/s.. *I think*

And yeah I got 253ish for the final velocity when the bullet/arrow hits the sea. 250 for initial velocity

Edit: I also got 40s for the helicopter question... did it 2 ways both with 40s as the answer.
Overall I found the paper easy, finished 30mins+ before everyone else in the room, that means I either breezed it or totally flopped it lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
For the bearing did anyone else get 037?
Original post by Jack Dolan
The velocity was 253ish, not 250. 250 was just the horizontal component. Unlucky on the 39.9...

Yeah I didn't specify, I actually meant U was 250, the horizontal velocity of the bullet being shot.

The hypotenuse of the triangle made from v=u+at was 253 yeah, got that :biggrin:

but yeah man :/ very unfortunate!
Reply 131
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

I got 053
A friend got 057 hmm
I got 053
A friend got 057 hmm

I got 53.1 originally but that was the angle to the horizontal, you had to show the one to the vertical as this is the bearing angle. If that makes sense?

I did, but somebody else told me they got a different answer :/ hmmm
Original post by foldingstars45
I did, but somebody else told me they got a different answer :/ hmmm

I'm pretty sure we're right, because it's to the vertical, right? If it were to the horizontal it would remain 53? But obviously bearing start at North.
In the exam today i got the first part of the projectiles question wrong, calculating the U. but then i went on and used all the correct methods and got answers for them. does anyone know how many marks i will get if any?
Reply 136
I'm pretty sure we're right, because it's to the vertical, right? If it were to the horizontal it would remain 53? But obviously bearing start at North.

But wasn't it 37 to the horizontal? or did I mix up my i's and j's :frown:
But wasn't it 37 to the horizontal? or did I mix up my i's and j's :frown:

Nope it was 53 to the horizontal I know this because it was the number i got when I used tan-1 on the triangle I equated. :wink: Now I look back you could found the bearing straight away, but I am certain 037 is the correct bearing. :smile:
Reply 138
That test was lovely, easy last Q as well.
For the car moveing at 64ms-1 question, what did you get for the last part.

i got something like the car travels 2000m in 76.5 (something like that) seconds so overall it was 2000/76.5 = 21.6
It just looked like a weird answer.
Reply 139
Nope it was 53 to the horizontal I know this because it was the number i got when I used tan-1 on the triangle I equated. :wink: Now I look back you could found the bearing straight away, but I am certain 037 is the correct bearing. :smile:

Ahh that's exactly what I did.. arctan to get 36.789 or something then did 90-ans and rounded it to the nearest degree.. drew out the triangle and everything..
If you're certain it's 037 though... I can only hope the rest of my answers are right :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending