The Student Room Group

OCR AS - Chemistry Unit F322 - Chains, energy and resource - REVISION!

Scroll to see replies

Guys, atom economy is more important, making CO2 in the reaction which contributes to global warming is a bigger compromise than if yield of ethanol is lower
Original post by DarkSunshine
Yes, thats what I wrote. but methylated spirits are solvents, which was mentioned in the question? I think.. Feel freee to correct me. In fact, PLEASE correct me :P

No need to correct you, in my notes it says solvents such as methylated spirits.
Reply 842
Original post by Robpattinsonxxx
For the last part will there be marks for the fragment ions that I found? even though i got the propanoic acid wrong :frown:

I did two past papers with similar questions, both gave marks for identifying fragment ions. :smile:
Reply 843
Original post by DarkSunshine
Yes, thats what I wrote. but methylated spirits are solvents, which was mentioned in the question? I think.. Feel freee to correct me. In fact, PLEASE correct me :P

I wish I could.. Hmmm we can live in hope though! :smile:
Reply 844
Original post by EternalDoom
Guys, atom economy is more important, making CO2 in the reaction which contributes to global warming is a bigger compromise than if yield of ethanol is lower

You could have said either, if you looked at the question it said "some scientists beleive that yield is more important... others think atom economy" or something along those lines.

As long as you backed up your opinion with a reason (which is a silly thing to have to do in a damn chemistry exam) you got the marks
So I identified 3 fragment ions of ethanol. How many marks would I get for this?
The atom economy and % yield question of making ethanol... You could of said either. As long as you explained why you thought whatever reason you put
Original post by racheatworld
I put exactly what you put, and it made sense to me. I wrote something like with fermentation, you will always get CO2 produced, therefore the atom economy will never be 100%. Also, in the production of ethanol it is more important to have a good percentage yield (ie: high efficiency of converting reactants into products) because this will enable a high yield of ethanol, which is wanted in industrial production.

but you could find a use for the co2 making it more sustainable in a sense - it can be argued that way
Original post by DarkWave93
I worked out and wrote the formula of propanoic acid right but i wrote it was ethanoic acid by mistake because in was rushing. How many marks would I lose?

Did exactly the same thing! :frown:
do you think i would get a make for saying methanol is used in dyes?
Original post by Midgeamoo
What a ridiculous paper for a chemistry exam.
Why bother revising half the theoretical (interesting) stuff when they're going to throw a bunch of essay style questions about sustainability and the environment, which was a tiny part of the syllabus.
I really need an A in this paper, and don't know if I got it because I know i messed up the radical question (didn't know NO2 was a radical) and missed a 1 or 2 marks on the last question (had a silly moment and did the empirical formula for X wrong - still got it right overall though)
It now just depends on if they deem my paragraphs on sustainability and "international co-operation" correct (hardly shows skill at chemistry).

I'm pretty annoyed at OCR, first the wrong question in the D1 exam yesterday, now a really pathetic chemistry paper. I guess I'll feel better about it soon.

Hmm, what wrong question? :s-smilie:
Original post by nereik6794
The atom economy and % yield question of making ethanol... You could of said either. As long as you explained why you thought whatever reason you put

i agree cos you can justify it in either way unless ocr have some messed up markscheme
Original post by abercrombie_gal
but you could find a use for the co2 making it more sustainable in a sense - it can be argued that way

Yes, it can be argued either way, that's the point, it said in the question "Explain which one you believe is the most important"
(edited 12 years ago)
I remember seeing somewhere that if you consumed methanol, you could die so when it came up I Put:

Russian mafia agents use it to kill people they don't like!!! heheheheheheh
Reply 854
Original post by LizzieLizzie.
Hmm, what wrong question? :s-smilie:

In the D1 maths paper (offtopic i know), they put show that the smallest route is (2x+31.5) or something if x<1.8 if i remember correctly.

You had to use Chinese Postman algorithm and you ended up being 1.9 off their proposed answer all the time, turns out they missed out 2 arcs in their own paper, so a whole 8 mark question was invalid.
Reply 855
for the one where you had to draw the stuff out of the cyclic compound

first when u add H2 did u jus draw the same thing without a double bond ?

and then for the other ones when u add HBr did u just draw it out but add a bromine and then for the second product did u jus move the position of the bromine ?????????
Reply 856
Original post by kimmey
for the one where you had to draw the stuff out of the cyclic compound

first when u add H2 did u jus draw the same thing without a double bond ?

and then for the other ones when u add HBr did u just draw it out but add a bromine and then for the second product did u jus move the position of the bromine ?????????

Yep :biggrin:
Reply 857
Oh my days
For some reason for the last question I wrote 'ethan-propanoate' instead of 'ethyl-propanoate'
:rolleyes:

Other than that, it was much nicer than the 2010 F322 exam!
Didnt really like this paper :frown:
Original post by racheatworld
Yes, it can be argued either way, that's the point, it said in the question "Explain which one you believe is the most important"

well everyone has their own view so i think as long as you justify your reason, you will get the marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending