The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 6GE03 and 6GE04

Poll

Which questions do you think you'll do in Section A

Hi all :wave:

I know theres already a thread on Unit 4, but thought it would be much clearer with one JUST on the Tectonic Activity and Hazards.

This is what we've been Given
Explore the range of factors that make tectonic activity hazardous.

Research contrasting locations to draw out the scale of impacts from tectonic
hazards and disasters.

Whats people idea's on research?

I going to look in depth about the economic damages of the Japan Tsunami, as there will be a very wide range of effects
I remember hearing on the radio about global car production suffering, not just Japanese ones but others due to lack of parts.

Post up tips / ideas / and also any example questions you've got from school etc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was going to look at these factors:

hazard magnitude and proximity to population
size of population
economic development in terms of economic cost
economic development in terms of level of preparedness
political stability

for each sub heading research two contrasting locations
Reply 2
i think im going to do 2 headings - physical and human and then do some subheadings under them.

What contrasting locations are people using? Anyone know any good websites?! :smile:
Reply 3
How are people reading into the contrasting locations bit? Do you think it is hinting to something like looking at contrasting economies so comparing the earthquake in Haiti to the earthquake in Christchurch or something along those lines or something completely different?

The USGS website is really good for case study facts and has some pretty cool external links as well, defiantly worth a look!
:smile:
this is to Alex B

i could be completely wrong or misunderstood what you meant, but because it's talking about hazards and disasters, I would focus more on the human impacts rather than the physical impacts. Previously if the question is about impacts on the landscape, they have specified this in the pre release, as they did this January where they used the words 'impact of both seismic and volcanic processes on landscapes', instead of hazards and disasters as these are to do with human impacts not physical. I hope this helps
Reply 5
I think I have 4 sections on human and 2 on physical. Do you think I should do any physcial at all or just predominantly human? Thanks for help!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by dbolton
I was going to look at these factors:

hazard magnitude and proximity to population
size of population
economic development in terms of economic cost
economic development in terms of level of preparedness
political stability

for each sub heading research two contrasting locations

Hi mate I was actually thinking of doing similar headings myself, after deciding that would be much better than by structuring it by case study. I was just wondering what you mean by "economic development in terms of economic cost" and "economic development in terms of level of preparedness" as they sound pretty similar to me.
Reply 7
Well, economic development produces both disadvantages and advantages. In terms of economic development it makes the scale of economic impact more severe, for example the Japanese tsunami in 2011 is predicted at $230b, while Haiti's damage in 2010 was at $13b due to its lack of economic development.

In terms of level of preparedness, the more economically developed a country is the more prepared it would be therefore reducing the severity of the impact.

Hope this helps mate
Reply 8
Original post by AlexB
I think I have 4 sections on human and 2 on physical. Do you think I should do any physcial at all or just predominantly human? Thanks for help!!

Just to help clear things up, the factors that influence how hazardous tectonic hazards are are both human and physical, you should consider them equally! This is key to the question.

Physical should involve:
Event profile: Magnitude, Frequency, Areal Extent, VEI, speed of onset, depth of focus, type of geology.

Then also consider what primary and secondary threat earthquakes and volcanoes have and how they vary in contrasting locations making them hazadous.

You should be linking back and forth between each category.

Human should involve:
Economic development
Socio-political reasons - Human choice (inertia, ignorance), time of day, education of population on events.
Modification of event, vulnerability and loss (Type of buildings in place, schemes set up by individual countries.

There are even more than that but thats a good start point.

All of the physical and human points should be linked throughout the essay and constantly evaluated. Remember to drop in contrasting case studies to prove your point!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Andrea03
Just to help clear things up, the factors that influence how hazardous tectonic hazards are are both human and physical, you should consider them equally! This is key to the question.

Physical should involve:
Event profile: Magnitude, Frequency, Areal Extent, VEI, speed of onset, depth of focus, type of geology.

Then also consider what primary and secondary threat earthquakes and volcanoes have and how they vary in contrasting locations making them hazadous.

You should be linking back and forth between each category.

Human should involve:
Economic development
Socio-political reasons - Human choice (inertia, ignorance), time of day, education of population on events.
Modification of event, vulnerability and loss (Type of buildings in place, schemes set up by individual countries.

There are even more than that but thats a good start point.

All of the physical and human points should be linked throughout the essay and constantly evaluated. Remember to drop in contrasting case studies to prove your point!

Hey thanks for your input,

Just wanted to ask that would it make sense to go through a human physical type order with constant cross-referencing e.g.

Human factors/ impacts:

Economic development

Kobe and Kashmir earthquake to show how economic level/ level of development can affect the impacts from tectonic hazards and disasters- MEDC and LEDC

Perception can reduce impacts, also looking at other external factors: time of day, aid etc:

Soufriere Hills Volcano- only 19 lives lost due to evacuation, compared to Nevada Del Ruiz

Government + political issues

Haiti earthquake and Turkey Izmit quake

Physical Impacts/ factors contributing to scale of contrasting locations

Nevada Del Ruiz- Lahar, ash cloud etc- respitory problems to animals and humans
Montserrat- Ash causing respitory problems and causing evacuation

Frequency + magnitude

Hawaii style frequent eruptions, in contrast to Soufriere Hills volcano which was a high magnitude rare event.

So if these are my headings for human impacts, if I refer to the case studies and for example talk about liquefaction under the Kobe case study. And refer to how they chose to live on reclaimed land and build the entire port on reclaimed land.

Help would be much appreciated!
Original post by alastair o'neill
this is to Alex B

i could be completely wrong or misunderstood what you meant, but because it's talking about hazards and disasters, I would focus more on the human impacts rather than the physical impacts. Previously if the question is about impacts on the landscape, they have specified this in the pre release, as they did this January where they used the words 'impact of both seismic and volcanic processes on landscapes', instead of hazards and disasters as these are to do with human impacts not physical. I hope this helps

Although you focus predominantly on human impacts, I think the physical factors are key in terms of the level of the hazard, i.e. what factors make tectonic activity hazardous.
Reply 11
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any case studies that they can share? Or even a list of case studies which may be good to compare?

Also, does anyone have any information about this DRAQ thing?

How is everyone revising?

Reply 12
Original post by fevziye
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any case studies that they can share? Or even a list of case studies which may be good to compare?

Also, does anyone have any information about this DRAQ thing?

How is everyone revising?

Here are the case studies im focusing on for each criteria, remember you need to do more than this, but i thought i would help out a bit!

Physical
Magnitude - comparison between 2 earthquakes of different magnitude that occur in similar level of economic development to show how different magnitude has varying effects.

Frequency - How frequency relates to the magnitude - Hawaiin volcanoes (Kilauea) that are frequent and Volcanoes in iceland, compared to say Mt pinatubo 1991.

VEI - Comparsion of effects of large volcano such as Mt. Helens and smaller ones such as Stromboli in Sicily and relations to frequency on the VEI scale. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Explosivity_Index)

Areal extent - Eruption of Mt Helens cone, earthquake effects in other countries.

Focal Depth - Shallow Earthquakes increase risk - Haiti earthquake 13km shallow compared to a deep earthquake.

Duration - Japanese earthquake 2011 - 3 minute shaking.

Tremors - Sichuan Earthquake China multiple massive tremors.

You then need to find case studies for the specific primary and secondary effects of tectonic events.

Human

Economic Development - Find similar Magnitude EQs and Volcanoes to show point.

Socio/Political - Ignorance (New Zealand, Montserrat), Inertia (Haiti)

Modification - Japan 2011

Time of day - Kashmir 2005 earthquake

Over population - Haiti
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by TheRockMaster
Hey thanks for your input,

Just wanted to ask that would it make sense to go through a human physical type order with constant cross-referencing e.g.

Human factors/ impacts:

Economic development

Kobe and Kashmir earthquake to show how economic level/ level of development can affect the impacts from tectonic hazards and disasters- MEDC and LEDC

Perception can reduce impacts, also looking at other external factors: time of day, aid etc:

Soufriere Hills Volcano- only 19 lives lost due to evacuation, compared to Nevada Del Ruiz

Government + political issues

Haiti earthquake and Turkey Izmit quake

Physical Impacts/ factors contributing to scale of contrasting locations

Nevada Del Ruiz- Lahar, ash cloud etc- respitory problems to animals and humans
Montserrat- Ash causing respitory problems and causing evacuation

Frequency + magnitude

Hawaii style frequent eruptions, in contrast to Soufriere Hills volcano which was a high magnitude rare event.

So if these are my headings for human impacts, if I refer to the case studies and for example talk about liquefaction under the Kobe case study. And refer to how they chose to live on reclaimed land and build the entire port on reclaimed land.

Help would be much appreciated!

You're definitely on the right track, remember to constantly evaluate and link throughout each criteria/factor. Another thing to remember is that a breadth of case studies really does boost you into higher grades.
Reply 14
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the methodology section, as I don't really understand exactly what I need to include
Reply 15
"Research contrasting locations to draw out the scale of impacts from tectonic
hazards and disasters."

Whats everyone taking the word scale to mean?

Scale of impacts, ie local impacts, global impacts.

Or the Scale being the Magnitude?

Personally the first one

Original post by jackson89
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the methodology section, as I don't really understand exactly what I need to include

This IMO is the hardest part of the paper!

Read through the examiners report
Reply 16
Any updates from any one :smile:

I'm just building up my case studies atm
Hey guys...any one with any mock reports or even typed up sections...it will be much appreciated. The thing is that the knowledge I can produce without practice but if anyone has any practice intro's or methadology sections then I would love to see them...thanks guys.
Reply 18
Original post by TheRockMaster
Hey guys...any one with any mock reports or even typed up sections...it will be much appreciated. The thing is that the knowledge I can produce without practice but if anyone has any practice intro's or methadology sections then I would love to see them...thanks guys.

Hey.
My teacher copied me a couple of past sample reports from the exam board, and the last one had achieved full marks. I found it really helpful in terms of formulating an introduction. I've had a browse for you but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet...it may be worth asking your teacher if its on the edexcel website because everything is password protected :/
If you think it would really help I guess I could type out the intro quickly and PM you it, its not that long!
As for the methodology, this person had sort of intergrated it in each section, saying "this website stated that...." I think I'm going to do it as a table :smile:
Original post by OhNo_23
Hey.
My teacher copied me a couple of past sample reports from the exam board, and the last one had achieved full marks. I found it really helpful in terms of formulating an introduction. I've had a browse for you but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet...it may be worth asking your teacher if its on the edexcel website because everything is password protected :/
If you think it would really help I guess I could type out the intro quickly and PM you it, its not that long!
As for the methodology, this person had sort of intergrated it in each section, saying "this website stated that...." I think I'm going to do it as a table :smile:

Hey,

Thank you very much for your help! And dont worry as I do not want you to go to that much trouble...lol

Unfortunately my teacher is not that helpful :frown: But I may try a table if thats something others will be looking into.
What topic are you doing?
Good luck for friday!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending