The Student Room Group

Geography AQA A2 Unit 4B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Killsworth
Anyone able to find january 2011 4b or june 2010, i can't find it D: or the mark scheme either, damn scribd

Is June not on aqa website?
Any ideas for synoptic stuff from AS and A2, i've got very very litlle :/

only things i can think about are responses to an event, and the trade vs aid stuff from d&g, i.e. loaning some farmers who lost all their 'livelihoods' money to grow water garden crops which can be moved easily to protect the from further cyclones and do not need fertile soils, much of which was leached by the cyclone. an example of a 'grassroots initiative' or 'bottom-up schemes'

another example is the one of women being educated about how to protect themselves, i think i need to look into that one again as that's all i can remember, as well as them getting clay ovens...
Original post by toofaforu
only things i can think about are responses to an event, and the trade vs aid stuff from d&g, i.e. loaning some farmers who lost all their 'livelihoods' money to grow water garden crops which can be moved easily to protect the from further cyclones and do not need fertile soils, much of which was leached by the cyclone. an example of a 'grassroots initiative' or 'bottom-up schemes'

another example is the one of women being educated about how to protect themselves, i think i need to look into that one again as that's all i can remember, as well as them getting clay ovens...

how'd i forget the aqa website lol. mark scheme looks horrible, i got 8 hours tomorrow to learn all the geography maths and know all the case studies and my paper D: oh gees

yeah, i've also seen in the abul headmaster bit 'shelters make people feels secure' which teacher agreed could link back to poverty from conflicts a2 :/
Reply 23
how much revision are people actually doing for this? like have you guys learnt how cyclones form etc (i havent done weather and climates)
also look up scuba rice, apparently thats a good case study from Dfid
i have psych on the same day so dont really have much time. what did people find out about the mangroves?
how'd i forget the aqa website lol. mark scheme looks horrible, i got 8 hours tomorrow to learn all the geography maths and know all the case studies and my paper D: oh gees

yeah, i've also seen in the abul headmaster bit 'shelters make people feels secure' which teacher agreed could link back to poverty from conflicts a2 :/

geography maths? the chi squared ****? my teacher gave us a sheet on it but it looks horrible so i doubt i'll do anything with it...i've got the rest of today and tomorrow to relearn my economics (i've forgotten it since revising it in easter :confused: ) as well as learn this stupid AIB thing. oh yeah AND i've got my eng lit exam tomorrow. i am so ****ed. aren't the grade boundaries even lower than geog3 though? i remember seeing it was like 32/60 for an A...unless i was dreaming...

Original post by roxy007
how much revision are people actually doing for this? like have you guys learnt how cyclones form etc (i havent done weather and climates)
also look up scuba rice, apparently thats a good case study from Dfid
i have psych on the same day so dont really have much time. what did people find out about the mangroves?

mangroves are good for numerous reasons:
keep the soil intact and moist
they provide a natural barrier to cyclones
they stop the land from being eroded like people living on the 'chars' - the temporary land made from silt and stuff that can disappear in a second, but the mangroves can stop the ocean erosion by holding the soil together? something like this

but to answer your question no i have not learnt how cyclones form and i hope it doesnt come up

but in cyclone aila they were all ripped up and the land become more vulnerable. it was something like that....

i have so much work to do...jheeeez
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
How are you all revising for this please?
I literally have no idea. I've read up about things, but there appear to be no fieldwork questions or websites in the booklet to look over, so I can only presume this paper will pretty much be general knowledge according to the booklet. Any ideas?

Also, has anyone got any more practice questions please? Thank you! x
Ive found the previous 4B exam before but it was about bikes and literally reading their mark scheme won't be of any help to us ...
Please keep posting in these 2 days before the exam LOL i feel i need to do pretty well on this one following yesterdays exam
Reply 27
Looking at past papers for this really wont help. They can throw any kind of question at you. In January it included questions on how to draw a pie chart (I didn't know it actually wanted me to tell them step by step) and evaluating a website (I never looked at any).

I hate this exam.
Reply 28
They asked you how to draw a pie chart? I got that wrong in AS Skills paper. Still don't intend to learn it as it's maths!
Ye i'm in the same boat as many of you. Just going to start looking over the booklet now and those websites. Haven't looked at any of this yet.
It seems stupid they can ask such a wide range of relevant and non relevant questions, which surely you could never be 100% prepared for?
Reply 29
i'm doing this exam too, hoping it's nice after that not so lovely exam yesterday! has anyone sat this exam before, is it tight for time?

I'm just working through the booklet, analysing, researching all sorts about bangladesh, but not really sure what extent we should research to?

What's everyone done for the incomplete table? is there any chance Chi-squared, Mann Whitney 'U' or spearmans rank can come up, perhaps if they give us complete data in the exam? i've done some spearmans rank's on the table, but they're not reliable due to the incomplete data...

I'm just really not sure what to expect in this exam :/
Reply 30
Original post by Jack1993
They asked you how to draw a pie chart? I got that wrong in AS Skills paper. Still don't intend to learn it as it's maths!
Ye i'm in the same boat as many of you. Just going to start looking over the booklet now and those websites. Haven't looked at any of this yet.
It seems stupid they can ask such a wide range of relevant and non relevant questions, which surely you could never be 100% prepared for?

It didn't ask directly but that's what it wanted. The question showed some data and then asked how it would be best represented, the answer a pie chart. I guess it must have asked to explain but nobody in my class realized it actually wanted you to tell them how to draw the method. It was a 7 mark question.

I don't think a similar question will come up now anyway because this paper is kinda random.
Reply 31
Original post by Aodhán
It didn't ask directly but that's what it wanted. The question showed some data and then asked how it would be best represented, the answer a pie chart. I guess it must have asked to explain but nobody in my class realized it actually wanted you to tell them how to draw the method. It was a 7 mark question.

I don't think a similar question will come up now anyway because this paper is kinda random.

7 marks! Ye i doubt they would do something similar twice.
It seems then that no one actually knows what's going on lol
Reply 32
I've sat all the papers as mocks and to answer the question about grade boundaries... they really are that low. 40 for an A* and 45 for full UMS instantly (which a lot of us would love to have :smile: Anyway so what can we glean from the past few papers.
Well firstly there is no real rush for time if you know your pre-release as time come to a mark= 1.5 mins but the marks are similar to the AS Unit 1 and therefore this should be plenty of time.
Regarding the maths question pie charts were an example in the mark scheme you could also have gone for a comparative bar chart although how you would talk about method in this I don't have a clue.
What we would expect is maybe 2, 15 markers or possibly 1 of these which would be your synoptic element so the best example I have seen is "how well has the DfID reached its aims regarding its challenges, use the booklet and your own knowledge" and there you can regard the physical and human.
We probably will get 1 large question (possibly 10 marks) about the website as Redfern says this basically replaces the fieldwork on this one.
Finally with the maths the ones you should look into are spearmans, chi squared and the other I cant remember - although I would be surprised if it came up :smile:

Hope that has been helpful to someone
Reply 33
Cheers mate, good info!
yep thanks that's pretty good. so it's arund like 35/60 for an A, that's doable if the questions aren't too tricky. i guess the only thing you 'need' to know are the websites on the case study...cant really look those up in the exam
Reply 35
heyy two practise questions my teacher gave us were:

comment on the efficiency of the response to cyclone aila
and discuss the issues that the physical geography of Bangladesh presents for settlement and development

hope that helps, plus i have a feeling choropleth maps will come up, like in P1 but we have to colour code each district according to death toll or something like that.
plus im praying its spearmans rank, i cannot handle the others right now
Reply 36
What websites are you guys talking about please? Have I just completely missed these out?! I can't see any sites. S:
Reply 37
Original post by lizolove
What websites are you guys talking about please? Have I just completely missed these out?! I can't see any sites. S:

Bottom of page 9.
Under the title Further research there is a website. There's only one i think. I'll post it below.

http://www.dfid.gov.uk/where-we-work/asia-south/bangladesh/
Original post by roxy007
heyy two practise questions my teacher gave us were:

comment on the efficiency of the response to cyclone aila
and discuss the issues that the physical geography of Bangladesh presents for settlement and development

hope that helps, plus i have a feeling choropleth maps will come up, like in P1 but we have to colour code each district according to death toll or something like that.
plus im praying its spearmans rank, i cannot handle the others right now

reckon you can do a quick summary of spearmans rank? i dunno where to revise this from and this came up in the skills exam i took in january, and i had no idea what to do. are we going to have to work out figures using it? or just talk about it?
luckily i did weather and climate, so know quite a lot about cyclones. we've done bangladesh to death for the past 7 years too (inc. yrs 7-11 obviously)

hopefully the questions are straight forward! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending