The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2620
Original post by BrilliantMinds
this might sound superficial but to say you studied in london - woah

Yeah I get what you mean man. That's one of the reasons leading me to consider giving up my space in Bristol to try for one at KCL.

Original post by melsonchun
They'd prefer a a first class degree that is allowed to practice in SG. London is **** expensive. For the same price, 160pounds, you can rent a room the size of a shoebox in london whereas the same amount can rent you a penthouse in bham. My friend is a living example.:biggrin:

Hmm, I reckon getting a first in Bristol is easier than getting one at King's? Not sure about this tho.
What about how would these uni's compare to say NUS/SMU law schools?
Reply 2621
Anyone know which international bank account in the UK would be worth opening? I'm looking at Barclays, Santander, and Natwest in particular.
Original post by volante
Yeah I get what you mean man. That's one of the reasons leading me to consider giving up my space in Bristol to try for one at KCL.

Hmm, I reckon getting a first in Bristol is easier than getting one at King's? Not sure about this tho.
What about how would these uni's compare to say NUS/SMU law schools?

Fewer students get 1sts at Bristol. It's about 6%, which is a fairly low proportion. Most of the London unis apparently give 1sts to the top 10-15% of students. Of course, this could simply be the result of students in London working harder.
Reply 2623
Original post by TurboCretin
Fewer students get 1sts at Bristol. It's about 6%, which is a fairly low proportion. Most of the London unis apparently give 1sts to the top 10-15% of students. Of course, this could simply be the result of students in London working harder.

true but I assume KCL has a better quality of students so the overall standard is still harder?
These are just my opinions though.
Original post by volante
true but I assume KCL has a better quality of students so the overall standard is still harder?

I doubt it. You're likely to find academics of similar status at both unis, with similar marking criteria. Some of them may have actually worked at both universities. I'd be willing to bet that there is greater variation in marking harshness within the two universities than there is between them. The students at King's may work harder, and that would explain the higher number of 1st class degrees they graduate with. If the standards of the students determined the harshness of the marking, you would expect roughly the same proportion of 1sts across all law departments in the country.
Hey has anyone received their cas number? I'm going for a holiday in july but my uni has been extremely slow... No picture no sound.
I received mine last week!

Yours would probably come soon
Reply 2627
Hey guys, I have some questions regarding the visa process.

Can someone give me a list of all the supporting documents we will need to submit to the UK embassy? Do all of them need to be an original? What about our O and A level certificates, do we need to submit those?

There's this bit in the process regarding English language proficiency where we need to be from an english speaking country (which Singapore isn't a part of), have taken an english lang test or something like that. As far as I can see there's no option for O level Eng or A level GP, so, do we actually need to take an Eng lang test (like IELTS)...now?! o_o
Reply 2628
If your Tier 4 sponsor has assessed your qualifications in order to assign your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS), you must send us these qualifications with your application. For each qualification listed, you must provide:

the original certificate(s) of qualification; or

the original transcript of results.

I got this from the UK border agency site. In mentioning 'original transcript of results' are they referring to the slip of paper we receive when the A level results first come out?

Do we even need to send out A level certs?? @_@
Reply 2629
Original post by jjo92
Hey guys, I have some questions regarding the visa process.

Can someone give me a list of all the supporting documents we will need to submit to the UK embassy? Do all of them need to be an original? What about our O and A level certificates, do we need to submit those?

There's this bit in the process regarding English language proficiency where we need to be from an english speaking country (which Singapore isn't a part of), have taken an english lang test or something like that. As far as I can see there's no option for O level Eng or A level GP, so, do we actually need to take an Eng lang test (like IELTS)...now?! o_o

The supporting documents which you need to submit (those that you used to obtain a place in your university) will be stated in your CAS (for me its just my A levels transcript). You need to provide both the original and a photocopy of all your supporting documents.

There are also other documents that would be required for the visa application, namely your financial documents (showing that you have sufficient amounts for your 1st year) and your passports. You should checkout UK Border Agency's website for more concrete guidelines.

As for the need for IELTS, again it depends on your school and the CAS. If you have not gotten your CAS, you should contact your school to enquire if you have met their English language requrements. If you have received your CAS, there would be a mention of your language ability as well.

Hope this helps!
Haven't receive cas yet.. when are you guys going to apply visa.? July ?
I have a quick question

We are supposed to send in our passport when applying for visa, right? Does that mean we are unable to leave the country for the entire duration till we get the result of our visa application?
Reply 2632
Original post by monchouchou
I have a quick question

We are supposed to send in our passport when applying for visa, right? Does that mean we are unable to leave the country for the entire duration till we get the result of our visa application?

Uh, yeah. You could try going to Malaysia via Johor though, I heard that the Malaysian authorities don't man the booths very well :P
Reply 2633
Original post by guy_mjun
The supporting documents which you need to submit (those that you used to obtain a place in your university) will be stated in your CAS (for me its just my A levels transcript). You need to provide both the original and a photocopy of all your supporting documents.

There are also other documents that would be required for the visa application, namely your financial documents (showing that you have sufficient amounts for your 1st year) and your passports. You should checkout UK Border Agency's website for more concrete guidelines.

As for the need for IELTS, again it depends on your school and the CAS. If you have not gotten your CAS, you should contact your school to enquire if you have met their English language requrements. If you have received your CAS, there would be a mention of your language ability as well.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply! :smile:

Just to clarify, what do you mean by A level transcript? Is it our real A level certificate :s-smilie: ? Or is it the slip of paper we received when our results were first released?

If requirement for IELTS depends on the university/CAS, does that mean that they don't place much value on our O Level English grades (or A level GP, for that matter)?

I haven't received my CAS yet, but am trying to get all my documents together so that I'd only need to apply for the visa once my CAS is here.

Thanks again! :biggrin:
Reply 2634
Does anyone have any idea about the duration of the Visa Process for Singaporeans who are currently living overseas? I mean, what happens if we apply at the UK embassy of another country?
Reply 2635
Original post by jjo92

Just to clarify, what do you mean by A level transcript? Is it our real A level certificate :s-smilie: ? Or is it the slip of paper we received when our results were first released?

If requirement for IELTS depends on the university/CAS, does that mean that they don't place much value on our O Level English grades (or A level GP, for that matter)?

I haven't received my CAS yet, but am trying to get all my documents together so that I'd only need to apply for the visa once my CAS is here.

I should think that either the certificate or the slip of paper will suffice. As long as either shows the grades you used to get your place in university and it is an official document (with the official letter head, etc.), it'll be fine. Once your application is processed, all your original documents will be returned to you.

Regarding IELTS, the official guidelines state that the university can determine if you meet their requirements. My university (KCL) wrote to me explaining that "because you are a Singaporean student who has sat the Singapore A-levels, we never ask extra evidence of English language abilities because students doing the Singapore A-levels are taught in English and are considered to be proficient in the English language". And indeed my CAS states that I've met their requirements, hence no need for IELTS. So for my case the university decided on the basis that our A levels are conducted in English, rather than the specific O/A level grades (though if they did consider them, I do not know). Have you verified with your university?

With regards to applying for visa at a UK embassy in a different country, I'm not sure of the process there, so I won't be able to help!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2636
Original post by jjo92

Hi,

If you are not comfortable with providing your original certificate, you can go to MOE and pay a fee to get a statement of your A level results. I did the same for my O level results.

I think you might be aware of this already, but do take into account of the consecutive 28 days of money in the bank account. I have gotten my CAS and have more or less prepared the necessary documents; however I can't apply for my visa so soon due to the 28 days requirement.

Hope this helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2637
Original post by Narev
Uh, yeah. You could try going to Malaysia via Johor though, I heard that the Malaysian authorities don't man the booths very well :P

Don't want. Later kena stripped and do squats for 48hours.
Reply 2638
Original post by Bosty
Don't want. Later kena stripped and do squats for 48hours.

Can't be worse than Commando POW training..
Reply 2639
This might help:

SINGAPORE - Singaporean students planning to study in the United Kingdom will benefit from a new, streamlined visa application process. This will kick in on July 4 for students from countries such as Singapore, whose nationals pose a low immigration risk to the UK.

A statement from the British High Commission said the process will mean that Singaporean visa applicants going to study in the UK will generally not be expected to provide documentary evidence of financial maintenance and education qualifications when they apply. Singaporean applicants should complete their visa application form online at www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas.

They should then make an appointment online to go to the visa application centre at Robinson Road to provide their biometrics and submit their completed application. The UK Border Agency aims to process student visa applications within 15 working days of receiving them at the visa application centre.

Source: http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110623-0001229/Streamlined-UK-visa-application-process-for-Singaporean-students

Quick Reply

Latest