The Student Room Group

AQA - Unit 5 - Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by Sakildo
Anyone know what the A* grade boundaries were on this paper during Jan 2010, June 2010 and Jan 2011? thanks.

for jun 10 it was 82/100
Reply 921
Original post by Ammy16
can someone please explain question 1 b iii from chapter 14 exam style qz in the nelson thornes book. Ive got the answer but don't quite get it.

what is the answer?
Reply 922
Original post by Ammy16
can someone please explain question 1 b iii from chapter 14 exam style qz in the nelson thornes book. Ive got the answer but don't quite get it.

Treat each half of the cell as a reversible reaction
So for the Fe one if you remove Fe 3+ then the system would oppose this by converting more Fe 2+ into Fe3+, this also produces more electrons which will decrease the electrode potential causing the overall emf of the cell to inrease.
Hope that helps
Reply 923
Original post by sam_xo
LOL But I can't remember them in order from the Periodic table :frown: I want to know the order off by heart, my teacher had this rhyme thing but I've completely forgotten it! :frown:

??? wot do u mean order?? they are already in order...
Reply 924
Original post by Anon1993
You get a periodic table?! :tongue:

LOL Omg. I just realised I missed out half the point of this question!!!! Revision seriously is messing with my head. Woops :/ I meant the BONDING in the elements in order from Na to Cl. My teacher had this rhyme to help remember the bonding and structures but I can't remember it :frown:
Reply 925
Original post by Mobs25
??? wot do u mean order?? they are already in order...

I missed out half the point of this question lol. I've just realised how dumb this sounds. I meant the BONDING in these elements. There's a rhyme to help remember but I forgotten it :/
i have this exam tomorrow, i'm screwed, bye bye lovely uni :erm:
In Jan 2011 paper, last question last marking point why did they do 1000/5 that's the only bit I don't get! Thanks. :smile:

Edit:

It's ok, got it. I need to remember to use my brain.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 928
Original post by kogaht
shouldnt more electrons increase the potential?

Well electrons are negative so shouldnt more decrease it ?
Reply 929
What exactly do we need to know about rechargeable and no rechargeable batteries??
Reply 930
Original post by strawberry_cake
Not too sure but I think someone said 82 earlier :smile:

EDIT: yepp 82 for the jan10 and june10 papers :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 931
Anyone else find the specimen paper a lot harder than the 3 real papers?
Original post by NRican
What exactly do we need to know about rechargeable and no rechargeable batteries??

Nothing apart from the equations for hydrogen fuel cells
EDIT: and the social impacts so like that hydrogen is explosive making it difficult to implement yadda yadda
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 933
Original post by Sparkly-Star
In Jan 2011 paper, last question last marking point why did they do 1000/5 that's the only bit I don't get! Thanks. :smile:

Edit:

It's ok, got it. I need to remember to use my brain.

They are changing it to a concentration conc= moles/volume. The volume 5cm3 =needs to be in dm3. So they've converted that, which simplified multiplies the top by 1000. SOrry that might not make sense.

Basically you have moles/5/1000 which is the same as moles*1000/5
Original post by Raimu
Anyone else find the specimen paper a lot harder than the 3 real papers?

Yeah it really is!
It's usually like that though.
Reply 935
Original post by kogaht
what is the answer?

The answer is change in coc: decrease
Explanation: equation moves to the right.
Electrode potential decreases.
Reply 936
Original post by a23m
Yeah they are like EDTA, its usually because in the reaction, you will for more particles on the product side than the reaction side, so there is an increase in entropy. So when you plug in this increase of entropy into the gibbs equation, "DELTA G" will be more negative.

There is also something to do with equilibrium being very far to the product side, but what i said above is fine to get you the marks.

ahh ok thanks for that, so you get more molecules on products cos the reaction might be for example

[Cu(h20)6]2+ + [EDTA]4- ---> [Cu(EDTA)]2- + 6h20

2 molecules goes to 7 molecules hence the increase the entropy...is that along what you were saying?
Reply 937
Original post by sam_xo
LOL Omg. I just realised I missed out half the point of this question!!!! Revision seriously is messing with my head. Woops :/ I meant the BONDING in the elements in order from Na to Cl. My teacher had this rhyme to help remember the bonding and structures but I can't remember it :frown:

Hahaha :tongue: S'okay - i know the feeling :tongue:
but ionic, ionic, both, giant covalent, simple, simple. .
Make up your own rhyme? :tongue:
Reply 938
CHM5,
Pleaseee be a decent paper;
and have straight forward questions.
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply 939
Original post by sam_xo

I think it maybe one of those things you just have to learn. Periodicity is immensely boring, theres not a lot of theory, just memory.

I'd suggest remembering it as...
ionic on the left of the periodic table (sodium and magnesium)
and
covalent on the right of the periodic table
Aluminium is a funny one though, its a bit of both!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending