The Student Room Group

Why England still 'owns' Wales, Scotland, N Ireland ??

This poll is closed

England should share more of its powers with fellow states

Yes 25%
No75%
Total votes: 75
I Just do not understand why in the 21st century a small state like England still dictates and owns other countries who are supposed to be its neighbors?. How can they have a church, when they dont love thy neigbour and why do these countries which have been conquered by english kings/queens, NOT ask for independence - go to the EU-, ask for compensation for wiping OUT their kings, way of life and independence.

Recently South Sudan voted for independce - ok, its not exactly same situation- but you are european and still owned by another european country?.... doesnt make sense Stotland, N Ireland and Wales must be the only countries and not 'provinces' in EU where this is turned a blind eye to.

I read into this and just though what you think about it

Scroll to see replies

Because England didn't take over Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland... The UK was formed on a mutual agreement amongst the rulers of each country.

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
ehhh N.Ireland turning a blind eye?? you really need to do your research.........
Reply 3
In case u dont know civil war in Wales and Scotland ( at different times) resulted in English kings gaining influence, power and lead to invasions. but i am not anti english just why not have a federation like the USA i just feel England is superior as Parliament is based here and so is the queen (of england)
Reply 4
:lolwut: You make it sound like an occupation. You can say this about anywhere - Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, London... they form part of the UK because, surprisingly enough, they want to be.

Original post by Freefloater
In case u dont know civil war in Wales and Scotland ( at different times) resulted in English kings gaining influence, power and lead to invasions. but i am not anti english just why not have a federation like the USA i just feel England is superior as Parliament is based here and so is the queen (of england)

Parliament has representatives from Wales, Scotland and NI. In fact, England is the only member of the UK without its own parliament now.

And she is queen of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and overseas territories, not just 'queen of England'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I think you arse holes should really read your history.britain was started by a scot king when he took control of the english throne,not the other way around.you had been fighting wars on two fronts against the french and spanish armies.at the time scotland had been at peace for many years so had supplies a healthy army and money.the union jack was designed by an englishman for the scots king who took the throne of england.thats why its uneven.the english artist who designed it did it uneven to spite the scots king.
1) They choose to stay and can leave whenever they want.
2) England didn't kill Scottish royalty, Scottish royalty BECAME English royalty.
3) They have their own devolved parliaments so England has no control over affairs that only concern them.
4) England doesn't rule them as such as Welsh, Scottish and Irish people can vote and even join the parliament. We have even had Scottish prime ministers.
5) The UK is a strong unite and they benefit from being part of a stronger economy than if they were separate.
6) Oddly enough, England hardly treats Wale, Scotland and NI terribly nowadays, and it could be argued that they benefit a lot at the expense of the English (I know many Welsh, Scottish and Irish people will disagree with the last part of that but that's not my opinion and is something that is argued by many English people who want independence from the rest of ya)
7) England doesn't own them, they are all part of the UK and decisions are made about what the UK does by Welsh, English, Scottish and Irish people.
8) Some people actually see themselves as British in Scotland, Wales and NI, and want us to remain a big unit as opposed to 4 little units.
(edited 12 years ago)
What? I don't think I understood any of that.
Reply 8
Original post by Darkphilosopher
The UK was formed on a mutual agreement amongst the rulers of each country.

Well if that isn't democracy I don't know what is.
Aren't Wales and Northern Ireland technically still conquered land?
Actually theoretically England is the country with least power considering it is only one without its own parliament. The Scots can influence solely English decisions for example, how fair is that?
Reply 11
"why do these countries which have been conquered by english kings/queens, NOT ask for independence"

In case you don't know they has been a lot of discussion about Scotland becoming independant (particurarly this week in the news!!!) so maybe you should look into that.
Also in my country (N.Ireland) there is a long history of bloodshed and violence between those who want to stay part of the uk and those who want a free Ireland. Barely a day goes by without this issue being raised.......it is not as simple as just asking for independence when the views and wishes of the people in those countries are conflicting
Tbh Birmingham, East London and Bradford belong to Pakistan. England have gotta hold on to something.
Because England didn't take over Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland... The UK was formed on a mutual agreement amongst the rulers of each country.

Yeah, exactly OP. :u:
Reply 14
A great democratic country but where was this democracy state of mind and niceness when we committed Slavery, Colonialism etc??? or is democracy only for us white people lol
Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland want to be a part of the United Kingdom.
You know what ill finish this thread.this is britain.thats it. Britain.
Reply 17

Wasn't really formed by mutual agreement in the case of Wales. Wales was conquered and annexed by England, but has since been re-established as a separate entity from England and given some autonomy.

With Ireland, technically their parliament did agree to join the UK. But it was already ruled by the same king as Britain due to the English monarchy conquering it several hundred years before. The government was made up of a ruling elite loyal to the monarchy.

Original post by Nightstar-27
1) They choose to stay and can leave whenever they want.

That's not true. No part of the UK can legally secede without the agreement of the UK government. So only Northern Ireland can leave whenever they want, because the UK government has already agreed on that. I think that's the case anyway.

The OP is making the mistake of likening the different part of the UK to countries like France, Germany, etc. England, Scotland, Wales and NI are not really countries in the usual political sense. They're countries in more of a cultural sense. But lots of States have regions with distinct cultures, the UK isn't really unique in that regard.
Reply 18
That is my exact point ' given autonomy' 'need permission from parlaiment' ' annexed' ... these are not the words used for a sovereign state which is independent. But also what about the economic growth, revenues and not to mention the cultural indenpendce which these states have been deprived of over the last couple of centuries.
The real question is why you don't understand how the United Kingdom politically operates in the first place.

Latest

Trending

Trending