The Student Room Group

advanced highers or highers?

Scroll to see replies

If you want an easy year go for highers. Advanceds are just work for little reward.
Reply 21
hey, i noticed you said you wanted an easyish year, so do you really want to be doing art?! it is very demanding, and your essay writing is a large factor. Although this might be a nice balance for you with your science subjects, i would like to just make sure you know that you have to write four essays in the exam! it may be easier with your school if they have a different teaching method from ours, but i would say it is still pretty taxing. Anyway, good luck with the year ahead :smile:
Original post by mc5088
hey, i noticed you said you wanted an easyish year, so do you really want to be doing art?! it is very demanding, and your essay writing is a large factor. Although this might be a nice balance for you with your science subjects, i would like to just make sure you know that you have to write four essays in the exam! it may be easier with your school if they have a different teaching method from ours, but i would say it is still pretty taxing. Anyway, good luck with the year ahead :smile:

really? i thought that the practical bit would be the most stressful part of it all but that's going by what my friend who took art this year said.. is it worse than the modern studies essays? (if you did modern studies as well) and thanks :smile: you too!
Reply 23
I guess its down to personal preference, but I liked the practical side cause it meant I wasnt doing writing! And I would say be really careful with time management early on, I spent most of the last half of the year coming in on saturdays and over the easter break (although that might be our school, this years students had to do it too) I dont think its more than modern studies, but then there is all the practical on top of that :smile:
Original post by feelingsupersonic
If you want an easy year go for highers. Advanceds are just work for little reward.

Depends what you class as reward. If reasonably focused teaching for the last time ever, a chance to proceed to advanced concepts in a subject without the pressure of university life, or just making sure you keep your brain well oiled sounds good to you, then maybe there is quite a substantial reward.
Original post by mc5088
I guess its down to personal preference, but I liked the practical side cause it meant I wasnt doing writing! And I would say be really careful with time management early on, I spent most of the last half of the year coming in on saturdays and over the easter break (although that might be our school, this years students had to do it too) I dont think its more than modern studies, but then there is all the practical on top of that :smile:

yea I really enjoy the expressive part cause I like drawing, plus the not having to do writing part is always a bonus! was it just for to do art that your school was open? can't see our school being open on saturdays or during the holidays haha! yea I hated the modern studies exam, you got such a sore hand afterwards..
Reply 26
haha :smile: nah our school is a community centre too so the hall is usually open but the rest of the school closed :L well it might happen, you never know! yeah thats what i felt like after rmps :L soo glad i didnt decide to do modern studies, would have been way too bored!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending