The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

University of Liverpool Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StefanieLouise
Really? I was considering going private as I didn't think I'd get a decent place in halls but everyone seems to have good things to say about Dale so I think I'm going to take it, obviously I'd have preferred ensuite but sharing with one person isn't so bad.

How's the commute to campus, waiting for buses etc? And what about getting back at night? Thanks in advance haha :smile:

I liked dale anyway, and it wasn't too bad sharing with one person :smile:. I was on an all girl corridor too. Buses can be annoying for the 9 o clock lectures on a morning so make sure you set off for at the very latest the 8:10 bus, it takes about 20 minutes or so on the bus :smile:. Getting back, if its a late time then there is long queues but the buses run every 10 minutes so you're not waiting that long really. Most other times you're straight on a bus :smile:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 301
Original post by scouser_
Last friday my offer became unconditional and i still don't have an offer :frown: Does anybody know how long it'll take them to give me an offer and do I have chance for Prospect point (which is full according to the website) if I have applied for accommodation in April :?

You havn't a hope for Prospect Point now. It went on the website ages go it had been booked out.
Reply 302
Original post by Beholden
You havn't a hope for Prospect Point now. It went on the website ages go it had been booked out.

yep :/ I went for Opal Court :smile:) anyone?
Reply 303
Opal Court looks really nice, but a bit pricey. Havent really seen anyone else on here whos booked it tbh :/
Reply 304
I wouldn't worry to much to be honest. It's primarily a JMU hall (as with most private halls in the city), but you should be put with Uni of Liverpool students, however I will say book it now, as it's one of the halls that fills up very quickly
Reply 305
hey everyone wondering if anybody wants to persuade me why I should maybe go into halls again? been in mulberry court this year but wanted to go into private with 3 of my flatmates from this year but we're really struggling to find somewhere that we all agree on and times ticking because I go away for 2 weeks next week. I'll be a first year vet student in september after just finishing a foundation year. Just wondering if anyone can tell me the benefits of the off campus accommodation (maybe derby and rathbone) definitely want self catered but not fussed about ensuite. Any help will be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 306
i have looked on liverpool uni website, and I dont think they have any decent self catered accommodation with en-suite and i dont know where to go now :/

does anyone know any decent private accommodation that first years go to?

cheers
Reply 307
Original post by Fent93
i have looked on liverpool uni website, and I dont think they have any decent self catered accommodation with en-suite and i dont know where to go now :/

does anyone know any decent private accommodation that first years go to?

cheers

There's not many as most students go into Uni halls. However, the private accomodation surrounding the University (Prospect Point, Myrtle Court, Railyard and the Student Village) is where you'll find most of the UoL students.

Id recommend Greenbank myself, as the site is really nice, and the rooms are alright
Original post by Beholden

Really? I have a place there and I don't even have my A-Level results?
Reply 309
Grand Central seems to be a popular choice for UoL students and it looks great, so check that out if you're looking for en-suite.

On a side note, is anybody else having difficulties finding flatmates? I am on two prospect point facebook groups and still havn't found anybody in the same flat as me whilst some people have found almost everybody in their flat. Beginning to wonder if most people will start looking for flatmates etc after results day?
Original post by ItsRach
Grand Central seems to be a popular choice for UoL students and it looks great, so check that out if you're looking for en-suite.

On a side note, is anybody else having difficulties finding flatmates? I am on two prospect point facebook groups and still havn't found anybody in the same flat as me whilst some people have found almost everybody in their flat. Beginning to wonder if most people will start looking for flatmates etc after results day?

Personally, I've heard some shocking stories about Grand Central and Unite in general, in terms of things breaking/never getting fixed/getting ripped off/not getting deposits back. Do you know if any of these are true? Or know anyone who's lived in a Unite building? I certainly hope not though as I was still considering Grand Central myself.

And yeah I've noticed a similar sort of thing, I guess most people won't be allocated room numbers until after results day.
Reply 311
Personally, I've heard some shocking stories about Grand Central and Unite in general, in terms of things breaking/never getting fixed/getting ripped off/not getting deposits back. Do you know if any of these are true? Or know anyone who's lived in a Unite building? I certainly hope not though as I was still considering Grand Central myself.

And yeah I've noticed a similar sort of thing, I guess most people won't be allocated room numbers until after results day.

I honestly don't know what is true and what is not. If there is anything I have heard then I have heard that there is fairly big costs for breakages, and I imagine there is some truth in that since it is private halls. I know that Prospect Point has fairly big costs if things are broken. But if you are considering Grand Central I wouldn't let it put you off as I assume for the majority of people there is hardly any huge issues.
Reply 312
right i have narrowed down my choices to the railyard or myrtle court, they are the same price and both look pretty decent. so which has the best on reputation or is more suitable for a first year student and the university of liverpool?

cheers
Reply 313
Does anyone know if for university-owned accommodation you get told who your flatmates (in situations where you are sharing kitchen/bathroom with a few people) are? Or do we just find out when we arrive? There is a facebook group for Melville Grove, but I haven't seen anyone say they'll be in the same number as me. Obviously it's not terribly important to know, but it might be nice to talk to people beforehand!
Reply 314
Original post by Fent93
right i have narrowed down my choices to the railyard or myrtle court, they are the same price and both look pretty decent. so which has the best on reputation or is more suitable for a first year student and the university of liverpool?

cheers

Either or to be honest, I'd go with the railyard, as it's a smaller hall, so people know each other a bit more

Original post by sorccy
Does anyone know if for university-owned accommodation you get told who your flatmates (in situations where you are sharing kitchen/bathroom with a few people) are? Or do we just find out when we arrive? There is a facebook group for Melville Grove, but I haven't seen anyone say they'll be in the same number as me. Obviously it's not terribly important to know, but it might be nice to talk to people beforehand!

It'll only be via Facebook, the Uni isn't allowed to disclose it due to data protection etc. Don't worry about it yet, you'll find a lot of people won't get their flat assigned until after results day (in the case of insurance/clearing students).
(edited 12 years ago)
My Dad used to work for Unite and I would never stay there or recommend it to others. The shocking stories you have heard are most likely to be true.

The bits you see look nice but behind the smoke and mirrors it is disgusting. Grand Central is the worst. They fumigate it every summer to get rid of cockroaches but it never gets rid of them all.

The charges where ridiculous especially in an already expensive accommodation. If you have a car the pass for the car park is expensive. The charge like £20-£30 if you lose your key when most other I have seen charge £10 - £15. The security is not great and they do anything possible to get out of giving you your deposit back.

I can't remember exact prices but he has said he would recommend Opal or Liberty over Unite. Opal was the one he preferred though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by razzmatazz rach
My Dad used to work for Unite and I would never stay there or recommend it to others. The shocking stories you have heard are most likely to be true.

The bits you see look nice but behind the smoke and mirrors it is disgusting. Grand Central is the worst. They fumigate it every summer to get rid of cockroaches but it never gets rid of them all.

The charges where ridiculous especially in an already expensive accommodation. If you have a car the pass for the car park is expensive. The charge like £20-£30 if you lose your key when most other I have seen charge £10 - £15. The security is not great and they do anything possible to get out of giving you your deposit back.

I can't remember exact prices but he has said he would recommend Opal or Liberty over Unite. Opal was the one he preferred though.

Cockroaches?:eek: Thank you and goodnight Grand Central, I shall be without a doubt be going elsewhere.

Personally I'm still unsure about which accommodation I'll go with, but after hearing this I can guarantee it won't be a Unite room, even the ones in the student village close to campus. I did prefer the idea of living in Grand Central, close to town and whatnot for nights out, but there's no way I'd compromise quality of living for convenience.
Reply 317
Close to town and whatnot for nights out, but there's no way I'd compromise quality of living for convenience.

To be honest the convenience factor shouldn't be a primary issue in Lpool, as buses and taxis are cheap and many (a private hire car from town to my old house on Smithdown after a night in town was about £5 in total, so maybe a couple of quid more to get up the halls)
Original post by DMed
To be honest the convenience factor shouldn't be a primary issue in Lpool, as buses and taxis are cheap and many (a private hire car from town to my old house on Smithdown after a night in town was about £5 in total, so maybe a couple of quid more to get up the halls)

Yeah, I've been reassured about buses and taxis many times. I've moved on from the idea of city-convenience now though, I'd rather have the pleasure of an extra half an hour in bed every morning and be close to the uni, but as I'm not too keen on uni accommodation - even though I've been offered a room - I think I'm going to opt for Opal Court.
Reply 319
My choices are:
1). Melville Grove
2). Philharmonic
3). Mulberry
I went in order of how many you'd be sharing a bathroom with :P (Melville - 4, Philharmonic - 5 and Mulberry 6 (max)). I wanted to be on campus as I'm doing Occupational Therapy so will have high contact hours. I never actually went to see any on-campus halls, just off campus (as I was sure I was going to go off campus at the time). I didn't choose Prospect Point as I'd prefer to keep the extra money I'd have to spend on an en-suite for nights out on the town.
Only, after reading this thread I'm worried! I was worried anyway that on campus wouldn't have people my age as it's more postgrad people that go on-campus. And now apparently it doesn't have much atmosphere. I guess it's not the end of the world, I'd still meet people and I wouldn't mind walking over to their halls/getting a bus to them (if they're off campus). I just need a bit of reassurance! How is it? Who else is going? Are people up for going on a night out/get togethers?
I know I'll meet people on freshers, and my boyfriend's 2nd and 3rd choices are Melville so there'd at least be 1 person.
I'm sooo excited! Hope I get in, fingers crossed!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending