The Student Room Group

Buckingham University to Offer Graduate Entry Medicine in the future

Hi! :hi:

I was looking around as you do...

I found out that the University of Buckingham is planning to offer a Medical degree (Graduate Entry)

Would you be willing to spend thousands of pounds on a degree at Buckingham with no student loan.

For those of you who don't know...... Buckingham is a Private University in the UK who offer Postgrad Medicine but are going to try and set up an undergrad Med school for Graduate Entry

TBH if I had to get into lots of debt and what not in terms of getting a med degree from Buckingham ..... :hitit: I would have no qualms about doing it as when it comes to Grad med , you need as much chance as you can get!
Reply 1
This idea has been floating around since I was applying to university. I'm yet to see anything concrete happening about it.
Wow £20,000 a year, that's crazy
Reply 3
Original post by Helenia
This idea has been floating around since I was applying to university. I'm yet to see anything concrete happening about it.

From the looks of it they must have been talking this since 03/04 so that is.....8 years :zomg: :zomg: :zomg:

Is it an issue with the fact that it is a private uni by any chance?

I know you already did medicine , but if it did come into fruition ..... would you welcome the new British Private Medical School? :smile:

:sigh: So it isn't going to happen anytime soon I suppose.

Original post by Hippokrates
Wow £20,000 a year, that's crazy

It is :zomg: HOLD ON 20,000 :zomg:

Indeed it is but oh well. I want a medical degree I suppose :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
With fees now being £9K a year, and graduates applying to five year courses getting no fees help and years 2-4 of the GEP degrees no longer being covered wholly by a bursary, the lines between "private" and "public" medical schols are becoming very blurred indeed for graduates.

Five years ago, the Buckingham GEP would have seemed like daylight robbery. Now it's only a touch worse than the rest.
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy
With fees now being £9K a year, and graduates applying to five year courses getting no fees help and years 2-4 of the GEP degrees no longer being covered wholly by a bursary, the lines between "private" and "public" medical schols are becoming very blurred indeed for graduates.

Five years ago, the Buckingham GEP would have seemed like daylight robbery. Now it's only a touch worse than the rest.

No bursary for GEP :zomg: so how do grads afford it now? Will they get a student loan now.
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
From the looks of it they must have been talking this since 03/04 so that is.....8 years :zomg: :zomg: :zomg:

Is it an issue with the fact that it is a private uni by any chance?

I know you already did medicine , but if it did come into fruition ..... would you welcome the new British Private Medical School? :smile:

:sigh: So it isn't going to happen anytime soon I suppose.

It is :zomg: HOLD ON 20,000 :zomg:

Indeed it is but oh well. I want a medical degree I suppose :smile:

Thats the spirit bro :smile: same here, im in a part time job purely to be prepared for the insane cost of graduate medicine :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
No bursary for GEP :zomg: so how do grads afford it now? Will they get a student loan now.

There is a bursary, but it hasn't risen along with the fees. For the difference (i.e. £9K - ~£3K) there will be a student loan available for 2012 entrants. Not much is known about what will happen after 2012 wrt GEP funding.
Reply 8
As I understand the rules, those that apply for a course that is at the same level as a qualification that is already held are excluded from access to further student loans i.e a graduate cannot access a student loan to study another undergraduate degree. That said I believe this rule does not cover graduates who wish to study medicine, therefore they can access students loans.
The £20k mentioned below is for the current MD qualification. If you want to estimate the fees that a BU graduate medical degree may cost look at what international students currently pay at other medical schools, £12k pa for the first two years rising to £20k pa for the three medical training years.
All universities are private institutions (they are not owned by the government) but all but Buckingham rely on government funding to subsidise undergraduate teaching, that is why the cost of a medical degree from Buckingham is likely to mirror fees for international students.....if that makes sense??
Reply 9
There seems to be not much disparity anymoar between private and subsidised state education :/ Fees are the same.

There is a bursary, but it hasn't risen along with the fees. For the difference (i.e. £9K - ~£3K) there will be a student loan available for 2012 entrants. Not much is known about what will happen after 2012 wrt GEP funding.

Oh I see. Future of GEP seems rocky :erm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lord Jon
Hi! :hi:

I was looking around as you do...

I found out that the University of Buckingham is planning to offer a Medical degree (Graduate Entry)

Would you be willing to spend thousands of pounds on a degree at Buckingham with no student loan.

For those of you who don't know...... Buckingham is a Private University in the UK who offer Postgrad Medicine but are going to try and set up an undergrad Med school for Graduate Entry

TBH if I had to get into lots of debt and what not in terms of getting a med degree from Buckingham ..... :hitit: I would have no qualms about doing it as when it comes to Grad med , you need as much chance as you can get!

So then Jon... Did you end up doing medicine? At this university?

Latest

Trending

Trending