The Student Room Group

Medical school private route

I didn't get any offers for med school/dentistry this year despite taking a gap year I really want to get into med/dentistry is there any other way I'm willing to fund it at this point its what I want to do in life man.
when your saying medicine / dentistry did you actually apply for both? in my opinion I think that you should choose one and focus on that because the admissions team for dentistry or medicine are looking for determination and want to study the subject. also what were your grades? what was your UCAT/BMAT and did you go wrong at interview

I know that the university of Buckingham would probably still take you on but they charge around 40000 a year
Original post by Rohan007best
I didn't get any offers for med school/dentistry this year despite taking a gap year I really want to get into med/dentistry is there any other way I'm willing to fund it at this point its what I want to do in life man.

there's buckingham, which is still semi-competitive and 35k a year for home students, of which is ranked worst UK med school with lower levels of teaching/clinical exposure.

I'd suggest re applying either a higher ucat score and stronger interviews/personal statement, even though it means waiting a year. I believe you would regret it otherwise in the future. also from what iv heard some peoples experience at private med schools made them drop out of medicine entirely
Reply 3
Original post by B7861
when your saying medicine / dentistry did you actually apply for both? in my opinion I think that you should choose one and focus on that because the admissions team for dentistry or medicine are looking for determination and want to study the subject. also what were your grades? what was your UCAT/BMAT and did you go wrong at interview

I know that the university of Buckingham would probably still take you on but they charge around 40000 a year

woah 40k i wasnt expecting that. My family struggle financially but if I worked I can probably afford 6k a year. I applied for med only it went wrong cuz of stupid ucat i got 2510 I had a coughing fit in the exam so lost a few seconds and my mind was just taking longer than usual to process the question probably because of the time pressure. What about international countrise like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh can I study there and be accepted as a doctor in the UK?
woah 40k i wasnt expecting that. My family struggle financially but if I worked I can probably afford 6k a year. I applied for med only it went wrong cuz of stupid ucat i got 2510 I had a coughing fit in the exam so lost a few seconds and my mind was just taking longer than usual to process the question probably because of the time pressure. What about international countrise like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh can I study there and be accepted as a doctor in the UK?

listen bro dont go to Pakistan, I went there and the doctors are horrible, such a big ego and dont know what the hell they're on about. if you really wanna do medicine take another gap year, no problem and work extra hard on your UCAT or do graduate entry medicine, there's still allot of options. but I would recommend not going abroad. if you really wanna go abroad go to Bulgaria but still I would advise against it. btw what did you get for your a levels and did you apply for both med and dent
Reply 5
A lot of people try Bulgaria i think its like 8k a year
Reply 6

if u have the grades
apply again you'll be surprised how many people take 2 gap years.

Private university is as noted around the same costs as international fee status. You aren't going to find any private universities in the UK (for any course) charging less than the state funded universities. As if they were, people would be flocking to them! This would be true for any course (but especially for medicine I think!).

You can get a medical degree from another country and work in the UK as a doctor I understand, although there is a process involved in that (there is something called the PLAB you have to take I gather, and I think you need to have your degree reviewed by the GMC in some manner?). If you go through those hoops though there aren't any real differences or challenges after that in theory I believe (it's not like the US where residencies preferentially recruit from home/non-IMG doctors).
What is your budget ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending