The Student Room Group

I Failed the first year of Dentistry

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hazsgs
The sad news came through the post today stating that I have failed the first year of dentistry without the option of retaking the year :frown:

I know exactly where I went wrong and to simply put it, I went out too much and didn't give the books enough attention! I still want to do dentistry however I only achieved AAB at A2 and hence I no longer meet the minimum requirements....

My only option would be to do another science based course and apply for graduate entry. So I would like to know what subject do you think I should do? Also how difficult is it to get through graduate entry?

Grad entry is ridiculously difficult. Also, I have a feeling you may find it difficult to hide the fact you'd previously been a dental student from the GDC and they won't be happy about that.
what A levels did you do?
Original post by Hazsgs
The sad news came through the post today stating that I have failed the first year of dentistry without the option of retaking the year :frown:

I know exactly where I went wrong and to simply put it, I went out too much and didn't give the books enough attention! I still want to do dentistry however I only achieved AAB at A2 and hence I no longer meet the minimum requirements....

My only option would be to do another science based course and apply for graduate entry. So I would like to know what subject do you think I should do? Also how difficult is it to get through graduate entry?

Firstly I’m very sorry to hear what happened...

I think the best bet now is to do Biomed degree and then got onto dentistry. But be warned. It is getting competitive every year and I mean really competitive...plus you have to remember that admissions tutors may frown upon the fact that you failed your first year. Assuming of course that they will know (which they probably might be able to by then). Plus there is barely any financial support here and now, let alone three years into the future…Are you sure you want to do it? If you partied that hard in the first year, your motivation can’t be that great? How about going for something less demanding?
(edited 12 years ago)
what uni were you at? and did you fail by much? how hard is the course in comparison to a levels?
Original post by The Situation
what uni were you at? and did you fail by much? how hard is the course in comparison to a levels?

I think the OP is a bit too depressed to answer questions right now.

This isn't "I failed Dentistry 2011, ask me how hard it was and how much I didn't revise".
Original post by House Dagoth
I think the OP is a bit too depressed to answer questions right now.

This isn't "I failed Dentistry 2011, ask me how hard it was and how much I didn't revise".

if he was that depressed, then he wouldn't have made the thread.
Original post by Hazsgs
x

Sorry to hear this OP. Can't be easy on you :erm:

Is there absolutely no way that you can beg to resit the year? :dontknow:

If you don't meet the current academic requirements then it may well have to be applying as a graduate. If you manage to get into another course this year then you should hopefully be ok with student finance for that first course (assuming you were receiving student finance) however you would need to privately finance the second degree (there may be bursaries etc.. hopefully a dentist will chip in about that if they wouldn't mind!)

It's the decision you have to make. If you really want to stick with dentistry then you know what you need to do :redface:

Again, sorry for the circumstances OP. And also for some of the users...

Original post by The Situation
if he was that depressed, then he wouldn't have made the thread.

You've got it completely wrong.
This thread was not created to answer your questions. It was created to ask for advice.
Reply 8
So sorry to hear, things will work out for the best :smile: Do a science related subject you have the most interest in, if you were to do a life science course you'd have the option to do medicine, optometry, veterinary science as well as dentistry. Though my scenario is different to yours I've also failed miserably...however I'll remain positive. All the best mate X
(edited 12 years ago)
If you did so badly that they aren't even willingly to let you resit the year, then you should probably think about whether you're cut out for it. Sorry if that's harsh, I don't know if many dental students get to resit or not, for all I know they may reject anyone who doesn't pass.
can you appeal?
Reply 11
Have you considered applying to a dental school either in europe or further afield in say ,India?
Many schools in Europe offer courses in english for the pre-clinical years and you will have to learn the local language e.g czech,polish or spanish. Alternatively you could apply to Indian universities who teach the entire course in english. You would have to apply for next year now and will have to stomp up between £9,000 to £17,000 for european schools and about £15,000 for the first two years fees for India.
Original post by indiadent
Have you considered applying to a dental school either in europe or further afield in say ,India?
Many schools in Europe offer courses in english for the pre-clinical years and you will have to learn the local language e.g czech,polish or spanish. Alternatively you could apply to Indian universities who teach the entire course in english. You would have to apply for next year now and will have to stomp up between £9,000 to £17,000 for european schools and about £15,000 for the first two years fees for India.

if you study dentistry in india what is the likelihood you will be offered a job in the uk. and also dont you have to take exams back in the uk again
Have you spoken to the uni about it? I would advise you go back to them and discuss your options. Make it clear to them dentistry is what you wish to do, and you are aware of the reasons why you failed your exams and are determined not to let it happen again.

Failing that, pick a subject you are interested in. As long as it is science-based, you'll have a chance of getting in postgrad.
Reply 14
Original post by undertaker1
if you study dentistry in india what is the likelihood you will be offered a job in the uk. and also dont you have to take exams back in the uk again

Like a degree from anywhere outside of the EU, you will have to sit the ORE exams on return to the UK. Part of this exam is an english language exam which you may be exempted from. As for getting jobs , you can find many "indian" dentists here in west London,all have done their vocational training either at a hospital or dentists on any high street.
Original post by indiadent
Like a degree from anywhere outside of the EU, you will have to sit the ORE exams on return to the UK. Part of this exam is an english language exam which you may be exempted from. As for getting jobs , you can find many "indian" dentists here in west London,all have done their vocational training either at a hospital or dentists on any high street.

you are called indiadent so are you studying in india at the moment or planning to or neither lol.

how much tuition fees would you say there would be annually
Yo its 6 years later....... so hows your life going????
Reply 17
Original post by FaZe Clan
Yo its 6 years later....... so hows your life going????

3 years later and I'm hoping to hear if they became a dentist or not lol hope Hazsgs secured that dental degree

Quick Reply

Latest