The Student Room Group

University

What does “Hons” actually mean? Is it important? And why do some universities not have this title in their degrees and when some do, nearly all their courses have “hons”
i don't know what hons means, but my guess is honours
Original post by Skittles_beans
What does “Hons” actually mean? Is it important? And why do some universities not have this title in their degrees and when some do, nearly all their courses have “hons”

Original post by beautifulworld
i don't know what hons means, but my guess is honours

It means "honours". Often unis don't list it as it's implied. If it's not listed and you aren't sure you can check with them to confirm if it's an honours degree or an ordinary degree. Ordinary degrees are different from honours degrees because they aren't classed - the things like 1st class, 2:1, etc, are all for honours degrees - ordinary degrees are pass fail.

Usually an ordinary degree nowadays is only awarded either as the standard type of degree for medicine (MBBS/MBChB etc are ordinary degrees unless an intercalated year is done - it doesn't make a difference whether they are classed or not as medical recruitment is based on decile ranking in the medical degree I gather) or as an exit qualification for honours degrees where the student fails to achieve the requirements of the honours degree (so far in what I've seen, it usually seems to be issued when someone fails the dissertation in final year, or if it's clear they won't pass if they take all the mandatory modules of the honours course and so get switched onto the ordinary degree where they often get more freedom to pick and choose modules). Also for Scottish degrees where students leave before completing the honours year(s).

It'd be pretty unusual I think for a uni to admit directly to an ordinary degree (rather than an honours degree) except for medicine (this might also be the case for vet med and dentistry degrees but they may be differently set up so I couldn't say for certain), so I would assume it's an honours degree unless otherwise stated really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending