The Student Room Group

Retaking

So I am currently first year studying law. Now I am feeling like I want to try and fast track teach myself biology and chemistry a level with my achieved B in psychology this year , to study dentistry next year. Can someone help me ? I still want to study law course in case the a levels don’t go well but I’m not sure the process of how to resit a levels and if Russel group unis will let me in, given this would be my second UCAS application. Please help. Anyone reckon I can learn the a levels through YouTube and online resources coz I’m broke
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Shenice599
So I am currently first year studying law. Now I am feeling like I want to try and fast track teach myself biology and chemistry a level with my achieved B in psychology this year , to study dentistry next year. Can someone help me ? I still want to study law course in case the a levels don’t go well but I’m not sure the process of how to resit a levels and if Russel group unis will let me in, given this would be my second UCAS application. Please help. Anyone reckon I can learn the a levels through YouTube and online resources coz I’m broke

Hii, im too sure about dentistry since I didn't apply to dentistry but I know a few people who have resitted and got into dentistry on social media.

These are the universities that accept resits:

Plymouth

Cardiff

Sheffield

Newcastle

Birmingham

Glasgow

Leeds

Dundee

The application date for dentistry is now over for this year (October 16) so you'll only be able to apply next year and start in September of 2025. So you can do your exams in the summer of 2024 or the summer of 2025. However, something you might need to think about is the costs. The science subjects have a practical component which you'll need to pass. The minimum I've found is around £800 per science subject. Plus about £300 for your psychology resit. And your tutor costs if you need support + predicted grades if you're going to sit it in 2025. Maybe try asking your old sixth form if you can do it there and if they might let you as they usually make it a lottt cheaper.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Jannet2ester
Hii, im too sure about dentistry since I didn't apply to dentistry but I know a few people who have resitted and got into dentistry on social media.

These are the universities that accept resits:

Plymouth

Cardiff

Sheffield

Newcastle

Birmingham

Glasgow

Leeds

Dundee

The application date for dentistry is now over for this year (October 16) so you'll only be able to apply next year and start in September of 2025. So you can do your exams in the summer of 2024 or the summer of 2025. However, something you might need to think about is the costs. The science subjects have a practical component which you'll need to pass. The minimum I've found is around £800 per science subject. Plus about £300 for your psychology resit. And your tutor costs if you need support + predicted grades if you're going to sit it in 2025. Maybe try asking your old sixth form if you can do it there and if they might let you as they usually make it a lottt cheaper.

Hope this helps :smile:

Hey ! Yes this has helped so much . I’m just wondering is it possible to avoid costs of science subjects by teaching myself? Excluding the cost of sitting the papers , what do you mean about the practical component ? What is this ? I thought I could just pay to sit the papers x around £60
Hey ! Yes this has helped so much . I’m just wondering is it possible to avoid costs of science subjects by teaching myself? Excluding the cost of sitting the papers , what do you mean about the practical component ? What is this ? I thought I could just pay to sit the papers x around £60

Hii, so you can definitely teach yourself however if your doing your exams in the summer of 2025 you'll probably need predicted grades from somewhere when you apply next October. Unless you manage to finish the syllabus this year, then I guess you can apply next year with your achieved grades. For Alevel sciences - there's two aspects : the theoretical aspect which consists of 3 papers . And the practical aspect where you'll have to do 12 practicals where you'll be given a pass/fail grade overall. You'll need to pass the practical component in any science alevel to be able to do most degrees at university. Also regarding the costs - the absolute minimum you'll probably get is £120 which is what the exam board charges. And that's only if your school lets you. If you do it at exam centers, then you'll probably pay atleast £800 per science subject including the practicals.

Hi,
Sorry If I am not clued up, but is there a way you could apply to somewhere with a foundation course, so you would not have to resit your A levels? This may be an option to look at if it is feasible for you.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest