The Student Room Group

Commuting to BSMS

Is it very unrealistic to commute from London to BSMS every day? I know it's possible but I want to know if it's realistic as you progress through medical school.

It takes me 45mins to get to college everyday. And I think it's 1hr on the train to Brighton.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Reply 1
Not something you'd really want to do unless you absolutely HAD to. I don't know practicalities of how near the campus is to the train station etc, but even so it will be very difficult having a long commute like that at either end of the day, especially with early starts and unpredictable finishes. There may also be long gaps in the middle of the day - where will you go then? And of course, when you get to clinical school you will be on placements in all sorts of places, not just Brighton itself.
Reply 2
Original post by Helenia

Original post by Helenia
Not something you'd really want to do unless you absolutely HAD to. I don't know practicalities of how near the campus is to the train station etc, but even so it will be very difficult having a long commute like that at either end of the day, especially with early starts and unpredictable finishes. There may also be long gaps in the middle of the day - where will you go then? And of course, when you get to clinical school you will be on placements in all sorts of places, not just Brighton itself.

Ah, ok. Thanks.
Reply 3
Between Brighton and London Victoria is 40-60mins I believe. Plus you have to get to Victoria from your house in London, and then take the train to Falmer from Brighton (5 mins) then walk to campus (another 5 or 10 mins).

So I think its possible to commute everyday, but I suppose with early starts and long days you'd be knackered by the time you got home. I'd recommend living down in halls!
Original post by cbacba
Is it very unrealistic to commute from London to BSMS every day? I know it's possible but I want to know if it's realistic as you progress through medical school.

It takes me 45mins to get to college everyday. And I think it's 1hr on the train to Brighton.

Any ideas? Thanks.

This probably isn't that helpful but I know someone in my year who commuted from brighton to london everyday....he has now moved to croydon so he is closer to university....

(having said that i have a 1 and a half hour commute everyday and i just go from NW london to whitechapel......will be moving out when clinical years start as it's jut not realistic......will be up to 2 and a half hours travel if i get Barking, Havering and Redbridge trust 0_o)

In short i'd say you can commute definitely for the first few years, since lectures are not half as intensive as clinicals, but it really just depends on you and how you cope, and what BSMS s course is like? I'd say try commuting for a bit though......my friends are SO very jealous of the amount of money I have saved..... :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Star_struck
This probably isn't that helpful but I know someone in my year who commuted from brighton to london everyday....he has now moved to croydon so he is closer to university....

(having said that i have a 1 and a half hour commute everyday and i just go from NW london to whitechapel......will be moving out when clinical years start as it's jut not realistic......will be up to 2 and a half hours travel if i get Barking, Havering and Redbridge trust 0_o)

In short i'd say you can commute definitely for the first few years, since lectures are not half as intensive as clinicals, but it really just depends on you and how you cope, and what BSMS s course is like? I'd say try commuting for a bit though......my friends are SO very jealous of the amount of money I have saved..... :biggrin:

Brighton-London season tickets are massively expensive though. Much more than an Oyster travelcard.
Reply 6
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't know if it would be realistic for years 3-5. But BSMS is the uni that I have the best chance at getting a place in and I do really like it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending