The Student Room Group

Official: Brighton and Sussex (BSMS) A100 2023 Entry Applicants and Offer Holders

Welcome to the Brighton and Sussex (BSMS) A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

For general information click:
https://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/index.aspx
For entry requirements click:
https://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying-to-bsms/entry-requirements.aspx

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, mention or advertise group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!!!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello, Just wondering, with the new scoring system this year does a minimum score of 6 in bmat section 2 mean 3.0 on the BMAT as this converts to a score of 6 on the system or does it mean a raw score of 6.0 or above? Thanks
Original post by pgblaster
Hello, Just wondering, with the new scoring system this year does a minimum score of 6 in bmat section 2 mean 3.0 on the BMAT as this converts to a score of 6 on the system or does it mean a raw score of 6.0 or above? Thanks

I believe it's just 3.0 since S2 is now doubled, but you can email them to check.
Anyone know the offer to interview ratio?
Asking for a friend (who is black)
Around 50% I believe
Hello everyone, :smile:

As you may have noticed, this thread owner is @TSR George - an account used by TSR for several purposes including as a placeholder when a thread owner wishes to delete their account.

If you would like to be the new first post in this thread - you can!
To do this, please tag @04MR17 or @StrawberryDreams in this thread and ask for the OP to be changed to you.
Please do this if you would like to add additional resources into the OP and intend to stay around on the forums during the application cycle.

The owner of a thread will only be changed once - except if an OP deletes their account.

Please allow 48 hours for your request to be seen and actioned. This message will be posted into each of the 2023 applicants threads currently owned by TSR George.

Thanks all,

MR
(edited 1 year ago)
On their website it said “As part of our agenda to widen participation to medicine, we aim to reserve 30% of interviews for applicants with contextual data. To select for interview, we rank applicants based on their BMAT score, with top ranking candidates invited to interview. Applicants with contextual data are ranked separately from the wider applicant pool.”
Does that mean that it might be more competitive for contextual applicants because they’re fighting for only 30% of the interview places. And how does this work? Because it’s a BMAT shortlisting uni so doesn’t everyone who meets minimum GCSE and A level requirements and the BMAT cutoff get interviews anyway? What if there are more than 30% contextual applicants who meet requirements for interviews? I’m kind of confused?
Reply 8
does anyone have any BMAT tips to get through all the content? Struggling to keep up alongside school work :/
Reply 9
Original post by Hisdarkseraph
On their website it said “As part of our agenda to widen participation to medicine, we aim to reserve 30% of interviews for applicants with contextual data. To select for interview, we rank applicants based on their BMAT score, with top ranking candidates invited to interview. Applicants with contextual data are ranked separately from the wider applicant pool.”
Does that mean that it might be more competitive for contextual applicants because they’re fighting for only 30% of the interview places. And how does this work? Because it’s a BMAT shortlisting uni so doesn’t everyone who meets minimum GCSE and A level requirements and the BMAT cutoff get interviews anyway? What if there are more than 30% contextual applicants who meet requirements for interviews? I’m kind of confused?

It is not more competitive for contextual students as less than 30% of applications would be contextual.

There is a lower BMAT cut-off for contextual students.
Original post by rw14_
It is not more competitive for contextual students as less than 30% of applications would be contextual.

There is a lower BMAT cut-off for contextual students.

Oh ok, thank you .
Original post by Hisdarkseraph

As said, it is likely that less than 30% of applicants will be contextual. Regarding cutoffs, contextual applicants will be ranked separately to non-contextuals. Cutoffs are set based on how many they want to interview, once they have all BMAT scores, e.g. if they want to interview 100 people and only 100 applicants get a score of, say, 18 or above, 18 will be the cutoff. So they will never have more people meeting the cutoff than interview spaces because the cutoff will be set such that they are the same number. Does that make sense?
Original post by bea_murray0
As said, it is likely that less than 30% of applicants will be contextual. Regarding cutoffs, contextual applicants will be ranked separately to non-contextuals. Cutoffs are set based on how many they want to interview, once they have all BMAT scores, e.g. if they want to interview 100 people and only 100 applicants get a score of, say, 18 or above, 18 will be the cutoff. So they will never have more people meeting the cutoff than interview spaces because the cutoff will be set such that they are the same number. Does that make sense?

Understood, thank you very much .
What is the cut off likely to be like this year? It was 17.3 last year so will it go up or remain stable
Original post by daryl11
What is the cut off likely to be like this year? It was 17.3 last year so will it go up or remain stable

Hey,

It might be a bit hard to predict because they are putting more emphasis on section 2 this year (doubling you're score for section 2) so there's more weighting on it. This wasn't the case last year so I think it might be a bit difficult to predict.:redface:
Original post by Jessi2004
Hey,

It might be a bit hard to predict because they are putting more emphasis on section 2 this year (doubling you're score for section 2) so there's more weighting on it. This wasn't the case last year so I think it might be a bit difficult to predict.:redface:

I’m guessing you’re applying to Brighton this year. What other choices have you put down :smile:
Original post by daryl11
I’m guessing you’re applying to Brighton this year. What other choices have you put down :smile:

Yes I am- also did last year but rejected pre interview :redface:
It seems we have put down similar options this year- I think I recognise you from the HYMS thread!:hugs:
HYMS
Brighton
UEA
KMMS
How about you?:smile:
Yes I am- also did last year but rejected pre interview :redface:
It seems we have put down similar options this year- I think I recognise you from the HYMS thread!:hugs:
HYMS
Brighton
UEA
KMMS
How about you?:smile:

Lancaster , Brighton, UEA and Plymouth I think. I have Liverpool as one of my choices but I think I’m gonna switch it to Brighton. I did pretty well in my bmat last year so hoping to replicate again this year
Original post by daryl11
Lancaster , Brighton, UEA and Plymouth I think. I have Liverpool as one of my choices but I think I’m gonna switch it to Brighton. I did pretty well in my bmat last year so hoping to replicate again this year

Ah okie, so two unis in common :tongue:
Best of luck with the exam!!! I'm sure you'll smash it!:biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Ah okie, so two unis in common :tongue:
Best of luck with the exam!!! I'm sure you'll smash it!:biggrin:

Thank you so much! How’s your bmat prep going ? I’m sure you’re going to smash it too !!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending