The Student Room Group

Continuous functions and infinimum

Let g:[0,1]Rg:[0,1]\to\mathbb{R} be a continuous function.
Let S be a non-empty subset of [0,1].
Suppose g(x)=3g(x)=3 for all xSx\in S. Let a=inf(S)a=inf(S).
Show that g(a)=xg(a)=x.

So if g is continuous, for any ϵ>0\epsilon >0, there exists δ>0\delta >0 such that g(x)g(a)<ϵ|g(x)-g(a)|<\epsilon if xa<δ|x-a|<\delta.

So, 3g(inf(S))<ϵ|3-g(inf(S))|<\epsilon if xinf(S)<δ|x-inf(S)|<\delta.

I'm stuck as to what to do now? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by RamocitoMorales
So if g is continuous, for any ϵ>0\epsilon >0, there exists δ>0\delta >0 such that g(x)g(a)>ϵ|g(x)-g(a)|>\epsilon of xa<δ|x-a|<\delta.

So, 3g(inf(S))<ϵ|3-g(inf(S))|<\epsilon if xinf(S)<δ|x-inf(S)|<\delta.

I'm stuck as to what to do now? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Perhaps it's a wrong question.
Reply 2
Using sequential continuity you can show that if
g(y)=a for all y in S then g(inf(S))=a
I think thats what the questions asking. your definition of continuity has a typo.
Original post by jj193
I think thats what the questions asking. your definition of continuity has a typo.

Okay, I've fixed the typing errors.
(edited 12 years ago)

Spoiler

jj193

So applying that logic to the question would mean that if g(x)=3g(x)=3 for all xSx\in S, then g(inf(S))=3g(inf(S))=3. How can I use sequential continuity to show that though?
(edited 12 years ago)
Huh?!?
Reply 7
Original post by RamocitoMorales
So applying that logic to the question would mean that if g(x)=3g(x)=3 for all xSx\in S, then g(inf(S))=3g(inf(S))=3. How can I use sequential continuity to show that though?

what if inf(S) is in S?
what if inf(S) is not in S - but in some sense of distance inf(S) is arbitrarily close to some element(s) of S now use continuity. equivalently inf(S) is a limit point of S, use sequential continuity.

there are a few equivalent formulations of inf(S), having a grasp of all of them would help. Some are easier to work with then others. In this case knowledge of a sequential formulation is the (and often is) least hassle.
Reply 8
just write out the definition for a = lim inf S (for all d>0 there is x in S s.t. a<= x<=a+d) and for continuity of g and stare at it for a bit,

Quick Reply

Latest