The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2580
MS interview. :smile: Unexpected seeing as it was my worst test by a long way.
Original post by thecodman
Did you even get to do any tests?? they rejected me saying i havnt met the eligibility requirements for HSBC 1st yr internship :s-smilie:

No. Straight rejection.
Reply 2582
Original post by LawQC
ye gs has two weeks which is unfortunate - coz takes over over spring weeks - dont worry about hsbc - just focus on the top bulge brackets - if u ask me rbs, hsbc, lloyds to a lesser extent are gonna go down the drain - with thousands of job cuts etc

I'm sorry but this is so simplified it's misleading.

Yeah trading at RBS is pretty much dead, but their DCM business will be around for a while. HSBC is very emerging market focussed, their deals are small in the UK but they often attract big players abroad.

(Don't know enough about Lloyd's to comment)

Yes GS, JPM, MS are the big ones and no doubt the most prestigious, but there's a lot of factors to consider.
CS offer. Applied on new years day, did tests on that day and got offered telephone interview week later. Had interview at the start of the week and got a call yesterday giving me the offer. My CV and cover letter were by no means amazing. My online tests weren't awesome (people on here predict themselves perfect scores, don't get intimidated), but i think i did pretty well. Interview was pretty relaxed, focussed on cv and linked back to competencies. Very impressed by CS hr, very relaxed atmosphere which i think is appropriate for a spring week. My advice to you would be to try and sound like a human being in the interview, if you are likeable they'll want you. Any questions, feel free to ask
Reply 2584
soooo anyone know what the BarCap AC consists of?

Some say just interviews, others group exercise etc
Reply 2585
Original post by icancount23
CS offer. Applied on new years day, did tests on that day and got offered telephone interview week later. Had interview at the start of the week and got a call yesterday giving me the offer. My CV and cover letter were by no means amazing. My online tests weren't awesome (people on here predict themselves perfect scores, don't get intimidated), but i think i did pretty well. Interview was pretty relaxed, focussed on cv and linked back to competencies. Very impressed by CS hr, very relaxed atmosphere which i think is appropriate for a spring week. My advice to you would be to try and sound like a human being in the interview, if you are likeable they'll want you. Any questions, feel free to ask

Congrats :smile:

Sorry I have a question or two:

Did they ask you anything technical or was it all CV and competency based?
Was it a first or second round interview?
What division are you applying to?

Original post by WHITKA
Congrats :smile:

Sorry I have a question or two:

Did they ask you anything technical or was it all CV and competency based?
Was it a first or second round interview?
What division are you applying to?

No technical questions, first round interview, IBD. I think it is possible for you to steer the interview if you play it well. I'm guessing you're interested in the department you applied for so definitely research grad. prospects and training you might receive if you were to work for cs. I know it seems a while away but i think showing that you've looked at grad. schemes shows you want to work for cs ibd not any investment bank.
Don't go into the interview thinking i am going to ask 2 questions, try and ask questions but then discuss whatever answers you get given. Engage with whoever is interviewing you. And be comfortable with every point on your cv.
Don't fear the interview, cs staff are very nice in my experience!
Reply 2587
got rejected by MS today - applied mid November, so good luck to everyone else.
Reply 2588
Came out of the tube station and had 2 rejection emails appear on my phone! :frown: Morgan Stanley post numerical test and HSBC (didn't even take a numerical or anything)
Reply 2589
Original post by dudeboy2
got rejected by MS today - applied mid November, so good luck to everyone else.

Likewise, without a telephone interview too. Shame.
Has anyone here applied to the Spring into Banking at Deutsche Bank in Singapore?
Reply 2591
Did you guys get this in your rejection email for Morgan Stanley?

We would like to emphasise that we were very impressed with your achievements. However, hiring needs make it necessary for us to make some difficult choices from amongst groups of very talented individuals.

Original post by chris_jo
Likewise, without a telephone interview too. Shame.

Original post by rc18
Came out of the tube station and had 2 rejection emails appear on my phone! :frown: Morgan Stanley post numerical test and HSBC (didn't even take a numerical or anything)
Reply 2592
Original post by Drizzzy

We would like to emphasise that we were very impressed with your achievements. However, hiring needs make it necessary for us to make some difficult choices from amongst groups of very talented individuals.

I did, it's of course BS
Reply 2593
Original post by mcp2
I did, it's of course BS

The thing is, it's not entirely a lie.

In another parallel universe you may have been picked. The system is imperfect to say the least. They don't take the best candidates all the time.
Quite a few people are getting their replies for MS.. either an interview or rejections. I still haven't heard anything :s. Anyone else waiting?
Reply 2596
Goldman Sachs application under review...
Reply 2597
Original post by Drizzzy

Yep, got this too. Definitely BS if you ask me!
CS (Finance) - First round (interviewed) (Submitted: 31/10/11)
CS (IBD) - Straight rejection (Submitted: 31/10/11)
GS (Finance) - Received (Submitted: 06/01/12)
BarCap (Finance) - Under Review (Submitted: 26/10/11)

I guess I'm just not competitive at all?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2599
Original post by mab13
Goldman Sachs application under review...

How that? You seem to be the only one.

Latest

Trending

Trending