The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2620
Original post by icancount23
No technical questions, first round interview, IBD. I think it is possible for you to steer the interview if you play it well. I'm guessing you're interested in the department you applied for so definitely research grad. prospects and training you might receive if you were to work for cs. I know it seems a while away but i think showing that you've looked at grad. schemes shows you want to work for cs ibd not any investment bank.
Don't go into the interview thinking i am going to ask 2 questions, try and ask questions but then discuss whatever answers you get given. Engage with whoever is interviewing you. And be comfortable with every point on your cv.
Don't fear the interview, cs staff are very nice in my experience!

Congrats :smile:

How do they process their applications? I just don't get it.
I applied on Boxing Day, did the online tests and all that day. And have heard nothing from them since...

Also rejection from HSBC without any testing . I'm from a target uni, doing a good course for IB, wrote a good application form for HSBC, and they can't even be bothered to interview me or give me a test before rejecting... frustrating!
Reply 2621
Original post by birdy303

I applied on Boxing Day, did the online tests and all that day. And have heard nothing from them since...

Also rejection from HSBC without any testing . I'm from a target uni, doing a good course for IB, wrote a good application form for HSBC, and they can't even be bothered to interview me or give me a test before rejecting... frustrating!

Similar situation mate.
Some people need to lose their sense of entitlement. There are obviously a lot of applicants and many of them will be better than you so you will get rejected without an interview at some firms.
Reply 2623
What are the RBS and Citi numericals like??
Reply 2624
I had a CS telephone interview yesterday. Just standard questions about my cv and competencies. I was really lucky in the sense that my interviewer lives near my area and mentioned he knows my sixth form well, so we were able to form a sense of familiarity there.

I'll say in terms of advice just have lots of examples ready and just be relaxed, confident and yourself.
Reply 2625
Have HSBC given any tests out yet or just apparently a round of rejections?
Reply 2626
Original post by birdy303

Same! After looking through this thread I'm guessing HSBC has some genuinely retarded HR people who randomly pick people for tests/interviews.
I mean come on. A friend of mine was interviewed by JP Morgan and Credit Suisse, has an offer from Morgan Stanley and he got a straight rejection from HSBC.
This is ridiculous.
Reply 2627
Original post by binepa
Same! After looking through this thread I'm guessing HSBC has some genuinely retarded HR people who randomly pick people for tests/interviews.
I mean come on. A friend of mine was interviewed by JP Morgan and Credit Suisse, has an offer from Morgan Stanley and he got a straight rejection from HSBC.
This is ridiculous.

Seriously?

I mean it couldn't possibly be that different banks look for different qualities.

People need to realise that these things are competitive, if you get rejected grow a pair and realise it's probably a fault on your application rather than a retarded HR (not saying they don't make mistakes, but it's a bit rich for a 18/19 year old to claim that they are entitled to an interview if they go to a target uni and do a 'good' course)
Reply 2628
Original post by miml
Seriously?

I mean it couldn't possibly be that different banks look for different qualities.

People need to realise that these things are competitive, if you get rejected grow a pair and realise it's probably a fault on your application rather than a retarded HR (not saying they don't make mistakes, but it's a bit rich for a 18/19 year old to claim that they are entitled to an interview if they go to a target uni and do a 'good' course)

Miml, I think he's talking about the 'not having the opportunity to even take the tests' bit, because usually banks don't screen pre-tests, hence the assumption of picking out people. The interview bit is fair enough.
Reply 2629
Got a Citi email yesterday. It said that I need to tell them my predicted university grade. THought I filled that one in already...hmfff
Reply 2630
Original post by TroTro
Got a Citi email yesterday. It said that I need to tell them my predicted university grade. THought I filled that one in already...hmfff

I got that too. I'm not sure there was even a box for it thought on the application. Althought if they bothered to look at my CV they would see what I had scored to date and could have made a fairly well informed guess of that.
Reply 2631
Original post by binepa
This is ridiculous.

and the reason a Morgan Stanley offer holder would complain about anything is...
Reply 2632
Original post by Amarcou
and the reason a Morgan Stanley offer holder would complain about anything is...

Greed?
Reply 2633
Original post by A54321A
I got that too. I'm not sure there was even a box for it thought on the application. Althought if they bothered to look at my CV they would see what I had scored to date and could have made a fairly well informed guess of that.

It's rather odd. I hope it doesnt mean bad news! The email did seem personalised though, not mass email send-out... hmpff
Reply 2634
Original post by TomasK
Miml, I think he's talking about the 'not having the opportunity to even take the tests' bit, because usually banks don't screen pre-tests, hence the assumption of picking out people. The interview bit is fair enough.

That's just an applicant making an assumption about the process. Just because a large number of banks do send out tests automatically, doesn't mean all will (arguably, it's a more efficient method).

However, my main point was that you can only expect to be considered... anything else is really a bonus.
Reply 2635
Original post by miml
That's just an applicant making an assumption about the process. Just because a large number of banks do send out tests automatically, doesn't mean all will (arguably, it's a more efficient method).

However, my main point was that you can only expect to be considered... anything else is really a bonus.

Yeah, I understand what you mean, but it's definitely a more efficient method (screening at first based on mathematical ability). It's probably the least money-consuming method, maybe apart from keyword screening (which I believe isn't widely used (or at all at that)).

You might as well weed out these applicants earlier than later if you're going to do some sort of maths-based testing anyway at the later stages. Saves quite a bit of time, effort and money.
Rejected from Morgan Stanley (predictable as I flopped the numerical) but passed HSBC's numerical.

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from majority of the firms they've applied to? I did apply really late but I'd still like to hear something...
Reply 2637
Original post by Amarcou

He did not complain. He just *mentioned* the fact.
Reply 2638
DB & MS rejection ... waiting on a few more replies.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Rejected from Morgan Stanley (predictable as I flopped the numerical) but passed HSBC's numerical.

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from majority of the firms they've applied to? I did apply really late but I'd still like to hear something...

Yes I've heard **** all apart from 3. There's still like 8 to go...

Latest

Trending

Trending