The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Resubscribe :colonhash:

On another note, I may be a M$ fanboy but god in heaven hotmail sucks.
I'm quite happy with hotmail tbh, my needs are pretty light so I'd rather have the service that syncs best with my phone. Plus I go through the Mac's mail client so I don't have to deal with the god-awful website!
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Gmail tbh.

Until you realise that your entire online presence is based around one e-mail address and that setting up forwarding to gmail (or indeed, just using a pop client) screws you over because hotmail has an un-disableable spam filter which eats legit e-mails for breakfast and lets spam through like a leaky sieve.

Having to check for mis-caught spam every 30 days is bad enough, I can't imagine using an interface that makes one want to commit hari-kari on a daily basis.

Ho hum, there are worse things in life. Like people who ask me to fix their computers :colonhash:
FYI Hotmail hasn't eaten anything of importance to me in about three years now and I don't get anything even close to being spam-worthy. My domain registrar have pretty good spam filtering on their own mail servers and GMail just channels all crap botnet fodder originating from the former Soviet Union into a spam folder I barely knew existed.

That said, I use throwaway Hushmail addresses like it's going out of fashion during a closing down sale so I can hardly talk about permanence of any kind :colonhash:

I always keep a lookout, though. Maybe one day an affluent Nigerian will require my help and offer me something in return :daydreaming:
(edited 12 years ago)
For anybody following CES coverage, what have you heard regarding the Asus eeePad Memo? I've heard a couple of places saying it's going to be a sub-$300 tablet packing a quad core Tegra 3, and a couple saying it's just going to be a regular dual core Snapdragon. I'm hoping the former because I'd be very tempted, but can't see them undercutting their own Transformer Prime so severely :holmes:
Reply 485
Price cut for the Prime if so?

Personally, I'll hold off on the tablet front until my TouchSmart dies in a hole, and even then it'll be a Windows 8 one.
Original post by Tathrim

Original post by Tathrim
Price cut for the Prime if so?

Personally, I'll hold off on the tablet front until my TouchSmart dies in a hole, and even then it'll be a Windows 8 one.

Possibly, I can't see them being happy with the profit margins then though, especially if Apple go big on the next iPad and give the tablet market another kicking. I've had a look around and it's definitely got the Tegra 3 (Some sources are also claiming glasses free 3D and "the best tablet camera") from what I can tell now though, so it will certainly be interesting to see what state the market lies in by March, when Apple should theoretically have launched their next offering too. I'd very much like one if they hit UK stores, assuming a £200 price point ($249 should really translate to a lower figure, but we're never that lucky!) it would make for a great media consumption device for me. Not all that fussed by W8 functionality, if I want a fully blown OS I'll just bring out my MacBook.
Original post by Chrosson
Resubscribe :colonhash:

On another note, I may be a M$ fanboy but god in heaven hotmail sucks.

I use Outlook so Hotmail works fine. I discovered the Android app about a month ago and that works pretty well too.
I have GMail hooked up with Outlook through IMAP but it seems pretty laggy when changing folder and deleting messages. This is partly the reason I haven't made the switch
Original post by alexsheppard11
I use Outlook so Hotmail works fine. I discovered the Android app about a month ago and that works pretty well too.
I have GMail hooked up with Outlook through IMAP but it seems pretty laggy when changing folder and deleting messages. This is partly the reason I haven't made the switch

Indeed, that does make it bearable, but there's no way around having to manually check your junk folder every now and again.
I can deal with the slowness of IMAP because it's a backup without having to think about it :ahee:
Reply 489
Google Apps for me. :smile: All the awesomeness of Gmail, and I can use my own domain name email, which I've had for >6 years now. And if Gmail ever goes down the pan I can always switch my MX records to another provider, so it's all good.
Original post by Chrosson
Indeed, that does make it bearable, but there's no way around having to manually check your junk folder every now and again.
I can deal with the slowness of IMAP because it's a backup without having to think about it :ahee:

I have every email go into junk unless they are in my contacts or have been approved.
At first you have to keep checking but after a while it sorts itself out:smile:
Hotmail :yucky:
Hmm, I may have just bricked one of my old iPods :holmes: anybody have any idea if it's possible to format an iPod to Windows from a Mac?
Reply 493
Do you mean reformat it as NTFS? Not sure TBH, doubt Disk Utility would let you do it unless it's a really old iPod. Why do you want to do this?

Original post by Dez
Do you mean reformat it as NTFS? Not sure TBH, doubt Disk Utility would let you do it unless it's a really old iPod. Why do you want to do this?

I was actually going for FAT32, no idea why I just said "Windows" XD I've just been round to one of my coursemate's and done it on his PC, one convenient thing about iTunes on Windows is that it will immediately offer to reformat a mac-formatted iPod.

I've done it so I can install RockBox onto it, so I can have a mobile FLAC player until I get my Cowon J3 in April [=

EDIT: Just finished uploading my FLAC collection onto the iPod, the sound quality is incredible compared to any of the other PMPs I've tried!
(edited 12 years ago)
:wavey:
Computers are becoming too mainstream. My moan for the day.

There seems little point in taking CompSci courses or doing any kind of certifications because everybody knows computers inside out these days more than ever before, and our niche is being taken over and becoming less relevant. I know a vet med student in Edinburgh who knows enough to pass his CCNA and also knows Java better than most CS students I know, for God's sake. Similarly, the geography student who knows computer architecture better than one of the lecturers I had.

Discuss.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 498
Original post by ch0llima

There seems little point in taking CompSci courses or doing any kind of certifications because everybody knows computers inside out these days more than ever before, and our niche is being taken over and becoming less relevant. I know a vet med student in Edinburgh who knows enough to pass his CCNA and also knows Java better than most CS students I know, for God's sake. Similarly, the geography student who knows computer architecture better than one of the lecturers I had.

Discuss.

This seems like something that is good for society as a whole, despite the fact it damages the job prospects of CS students. As a non CS student, this seems like a good thing to me (no offense). The basic knowledge of the ordinary person will make it so that only the best CS students will get tech jobs, making the tech industry have higher quality workers. Having said all of that, I know pretty much nothing in terms of CS or the tech industry :tongue:
Original post by ch0llima

Discuss.

Well at least we get a bit of paper at the end of our degree that says we know these things. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending