Scroll to see replies

Reply 2840
Original post by LawQC
phone interview or face to face?

Phone.
Reply 2841
Original post by miml
Phone.

did they just phone u straight or was it re-arranged before hand?
Really?? I had a phone interview and the woman told me that I would hear within 5 days, but that the next stage would be an assessment day...
Original post by icancount23

Pwc final stage is a telephone interview, no AC
Reply 2843
Original post by LawQC
did they just phone u straight or was it re-arranged before hand?

I was expecting the interview if that's what you mean.
Reply 2844
Original post by miml
8 balls, one is heavier/lighter. How do you find it in 2 weighings.

How was your answer to this? Had you also to say whether the different one is heavier OR lighter or did they say you that one is heavier/lighter (and not just: one is "different")?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2845
Had Barcap phone interview on Monday. Assesment centre on Thursday for Technology division.

Anyone know what to expect except that assesment is 1.5 hours and will include an interview?

I'm thinking Interview -30 min, numerical - 30min, group exercises -30min?
Reply 2846
Original post by Michael XYZ
Barclays AC email just came. It's 1 hour "Group Exercise" then "Interviews onwards".

Sorry for the double post, but where did you get this? The standard email didn't detail assesment activities?
Reply 2847
Original post by natashabedford
Yeah. These things seem to be random :mad:

Good luck in your interview today!
Reply 2848
Original post by jevira
How was your answer to this? Had you also to say whether the different one is heavier OR lighter or did they say you that one is heavier/lighter (and not just: one is "different")?

split the 8 balls into 3 piles so there are 3 v 3 v 2

If the 3 v 3 weigh the same then measure the balls in the 2 pile.

If one of the 3 v3 is heavier than the other - then weigh 2 balls from a 3 pile - if they weigh the same - the heavier ball is the one left out - or if one is heavier then this is the heavier ball!
Reply 2849
anyone get a DB email this morning saying they are currently processing apps....
Original post by CJ98
Sorry for the double post, but where did you get this? The standard email didn't detail assesment activities?

I got sent an email from HR or something stating that.
HSBC randomly just rejected my application. buggers
Reply 2852
Original post by LawQC
split the 8 balls into 3 piles so there are 3 v 3 v 2

If the 3 v 3 weigh the same then measure the balls in the 2 pile.

If one of the 3 v3 is heavier than the other - then weigh 2 balls from a 3 pile - if they weigh the same - the heavier ball is the one left out - or if one is heavier then this is the heavier ball!

That seems not correct.
All my solutions I would need 3 weighings, crap. After 2 weighings there is a 50/50 chance that you detect the different one.
Original post by jevira
That seems not correct.
All my solutions I would need 3 weighings, crap. After 2 weighings there is a 50/50 chance that you detect the different one.

He is correct as long as we know if the different ball is lighter or heavier.
Reply 2854
Original post by jevira
That seems not correct.

no my solution gives 2 weighings - read it properly
Reply 2855
Original post by jevira
That seems not correct.

Sorry I think the way I wrote the question was ambiguous. We know one ball is heavier (I wrote heavier/lighter as the method is the same either way, but we have to know which one).

From that same solution (and I think it might be the only solution) as LawQC.
Reply 2856
Original post by LawQC
no my solution gives 2 weighings - read it properly

Yes, I said my solution (if you just know that one is either heavier or lighter) gives 3 weighings.

Your solution is correct as you assume that one is heavier. Would also work if you know that one is lighter. But if you dont know, 2 weighings dont suffice.

Ah, thx miml.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2857
One more example with 12 balls, you know that one is heavier than the other 11. 3 weighings allowed to find the heavier one.
I always read other solutions, but I think this should also work (please feedback):

First, weigh 6 against 6. (1st use of scale) Then take the heavier group of balls.

Weigh 2 against 2 first, 2 leaving out. (2nd use of scale). If the scale is balanced, weigh the 2 remaining balls, one of them is the heavier. (3rd use of scale).
If our second use of scale isn't balanced, take the heavier group and weigh the 2 balls against each other. One of them is the heavier (3rd).

This is correct too, isn't it?
Reply 2858
Original post by jevira
One more example with 12 balls, you know that one is heavier than the other 11. 3 weighings allowed to find the heavier one.
I always read other solutions, but I think this should also work (please feedback):

First, weigh 6 against 6. (1st use of scale) Then take the heavier group of balls.

Weigh 2 against 2 first, 2 leaving out. (2nd use of scale). If the scale is balanced, weigh the 2 remaining balls, one of them is the heavier. (3rd use of scale).
If our second use of scale isn't balanced, take the heavier group and weigh the 2 balls against each other. One of them is the heavier (3rd).

This is correct too, isn't it?

Yes looks fine to me

Harder: 12 balls, 1 is different. Find the different one and whether it is heavier or lighter - in 3 weighings
(edited 12 years ago)
Has anyone heard back from JP Morgan (markets)? - all the interviews are now over so should be fairly soon

Latest

Trending

Trending