The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 2 (PHY2H) - 30th January 2012

Well, after an extremely difficult Biology paper and a relatively easy Chemistry paper, I think we can expect a "something-in-the-middle" paper.
Watch out for a question like graphene - applying past knowledge in new context. I can't come up with anything that they could ask, other than the usual stuff; How Science Works is very likely to appear, also a topic they haven't done for a while.
What do you think? :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Original_Pol3
Well, after an extremely difficult Biology paper and a relatively easy Chemistry paper, I think we can expect a "something-in-the-middle" paper.
Watch out for a question like graphene - applying past knowledge in new context. I can't come up with anything that they could ask, other than the usual stuff; How Science Works is very likely to appear, also a topic they haven't done for a while.
What do you think? :wink:

definitely how science works,which im slightly worried about because it's not exactly my strongest! i have no idea how to improve before monday :s-smilie: i also haven't looked at many past papers except for the mock i did in school either...
Reply 2
I need to start making some notes tomorrow then pure past papers throughout the weekend and hopefully it will be a good test!
Good luck guys ... we just started learning Unit 2, we are gonna write in June so some tips would be nice ^^
Reply 4
I hope this exam works out better than B2 which was horrific.
I've gotta revise static electricity and all the stuff on momentum and forces, since they are undoubtedly my weak points.
I hope there's a relatively simple question on radioactivity since I manage them with no problems. I've gotta admit the harder radioactivity questions are pretty hard, though.
Reply 5
I'm so weak at physics, really haven't got a clue about much other than the formulas. Think I will make notes from the textbook tomorrow and then...pastpaperspastpaperspastpaperspastpapers
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
anyone got a good pair of revision notes/revision book which is freely available on the net?
This is my retake ><
I hope the paper is simple like the chem yesterday:P
Reply 8
oww, im resitting both Unit 1 and Unit 2!!! :frown: this is so hard revising both haha! ive got to sit them one after another :frown: anyone have any idea what topics to revise for both topics that come up frequently/hardest bits x
Reply 9
I love the fact that a nice portion of the Physics exam is just plugging numbers into a calculator :smile: Easy marks!
Reply 10
Original post by Ice Man
I love the fact that a nice portion of the Physics exam is just plugging numbers into a calculator :smile: Easy marks!

for some! i mess them up sometimes! :frown: espcially in P2 you arent always given all of the equations.. depressing..
Reply 11
I love some parts of P2... some really lovely calculator questions, like Ice Man said.

Thing I hate is the photocopier stuff and static electricity and stuff and basically everything other than calculations xD
Reply 12
At least Physics' "How Science Works"questions are much easier than Chemistry's and Biology's.

Also, I hope there are loads of calculation questions - free marks imo.
Reply 13
Original post by USB
At least Physics' "How Science Works"questions are much easier than Chemistry's and Biology's.

Also, I hope there are loads of calculation questions - free marks imo.

I agree, it's a lot easier to get calculations marks in physics. BUT here's a reminder to everyone:

LEARN THE UNITS TO ANSWERS!
i've never seemed to have a clue on how to answer how science works questions...anyway i could improve?!
Reply 15
Worried about this one, grade boundaries seem to be weird for physics. We did a Paper in class and 23 wasn't even enough for a C, which is very unusual with the Unit 2s. Hope we get a good paper.
Reply 16
Physics.. I understand nothing but calculations.

Hopefully 90% of the paper is full of calculations xD
Reply 17
Original post by woiiiichan
oww, im resitting both Unit 1 and Unit 2!!! :frown: this is so hard revising both haha! ive got to sit them one after another :frown: anyone have any idea what topics to revise for both topics that come up frequently/hardest bits x

Learn 'safety with momentum'.
For instance, there may be a question on 'why does this help for the safety of whoever...explain in terms of momentum'. etc.
All you have to write is:
-(whatever the safety feature is) increases the time taken for the change of the person's momentum
-this therefore decreases the rate of change of momentum
-and due to force exerted = change of momentum/time taken, the force exerted on the person is smaller.

My Physics teacher said that those type of questions come up quite frequently. Hope this has helped. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Nistar
Learn 'safety with momentum'.
For instance, there may be a question on 'why does this help for the safety of whoever...explain in terms of momentum'. etc.
All you have to write is:
-(whatever the safety feature is) increases the time taken for the change of the person's momentum
-this therefore decreases the rate of change of momentum
-and due to force exerted = change of momentum/time taken, the force exerted on the person is smaller.

My Physics teacher said that those type of questions come up quite frequently. Hope this has helped. :smile:

This is exactly what I've noticed throughout test papers to! I love this question, it's so simple!

instead of "Decreases rate of change of momentum", you could also write "The change in momentum stays the same"

Mark scheme accepts both :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by PoorLoser
This is exactly what I've noticed throughout test papers to! I love this question, it's so simple!

instead of "Decreases rate of change of momentum", you could also write "The change in momentum stays the same"

Mark scheme accepts both :wink:

Yep, as long as you memorise what they look for on the mark scheme we should be fine. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending