The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3320
Original post by volante
200k sgd.

It's a matter of convenience. With Premier, you can open your bank account here before going there. So you can enter UK with your bank acct stuff settled already.

since u would still need to fly there, why not just go there and open student account. a lot of privileges and benefits too. save all the hassle right... some more with 200k inside your bank account, who knows if u will kenna something like the dbs hacking drama.. and the most important thing is which bank have atm in your uni.
Reply 3321
I'm not sure abt this but is it true that in UK the atms let you draw money regardless of the bank you use?

Well I guess that's the way most people would do it. was looking at ways of opening an acct here before going over. The privileges and benefits are not exactly substantial anyway.
Reply 3322
Original post by volante
I'm not sure abt this but is it true that in UK the atms let you draw money regardless of the bank you use?

Well I guess that's the way most people would do it. was looking at ways of opening an acct here before going over. The privileges and benefits are not exactly substantial anyway.

oh really? if its so, then i would be choosing hsbc.
ATMs really do allow you to draw money from every account.

To be frank, I'd look at the interest rates of accounts which - at the same time - guarantee you that you WILL get your money back no matter what.

When I was in England, the highest rate was at 6%. Abbey.
Reply 3324
Original post by volante

yes
Reply 3325
Original post by Vikitora
ATMs really do allow you to draw money from every account.

To be frank, I'd look at the interest rates of accounts which - at the same time - guarantee you that you WILL get your money back no matter what.

When I was in England, the highest rate was at 6%. Abbey.

yup. With the financial crisis still lurking, we still do not know how much of the toxic assets are swept under the carpet:eek:
Reply 3326
Original post by kenryou
Seems like we are both on the same boat. If they are really coming along with me, I planned to make it a holiday for them rather for them to run my errands. But like I mentioned, there are language barriers and health issues.

I think to settle in to the accommodation is not an issue but I do need to find out more on opening a bank account. As for mobile plan, I planned to use giffgaff which provides value for money services! :biggrin:

I'm going to University of Edinburgh but have not firm up my offer yet. Waiting for the agent to negotiate a year off on my behalf. :frown:

Planning to fly off either on 7 or 8 Sep and arrive on the next day respectively.

I think u can find what u need to know - the uni of Edinburgh's website

giffgaff...is the network coverage good?..

http://www.google.com.sg/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=any+complain+on+coverage+using+giffgaff
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3327
Original post by jonobebe
My parents are going to book the flight tickets through the travel agency so in this way we get package of hotel, chauffeur service and air tickets. not sure which airline i will be commuting by, but i did checked the cheapest airline is British Airways. might be also easier to book the whole trip by this airline as they also provide sin-->london. unless its cheaper by qantas, if not i will try to have lesser hassle. I am petite myself so no worries about leg space, so next yr when i am coming back i will book this airline company.

i think so far hsbc is the best offer, but i think someone mentioned barclays... not sure about whether they have that in scotland.

my accommodation starts on 1st sept (sat) and freshers week on 3rd sept. sch term on 10 sept (following monday). so i guess its best i arrive few days earlier to settle the important things, so i don't need to worry about attending to my parents when i am on freshers week.

Bank of scotland /barclays/hsbc/Lloyds TSB, Royal Bank of scotland

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/finance/banking
http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.69448!/fileManager/Banking_Table_for_website_%281%29.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3328
Original post by volante
200k sgd.

It's a matter of convenience. With Premier, you can open your bank account here before going there. So you can enter UK with your bank acct stuff settled already.

Kind of...but remember to bring lots of cash too. Pls use only 20/10 pounds..
Kindly watch FX....pounds will hv to kaput cos of weaken GDP...2 qtrs of contraction = back into recession.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3329
My parents are going to book the flight tickets through the travel agency so in this way we get package of hotel, chauffeur service and air tickets. not sure which airline i will be commuting by, but i did checked the cheapest airline is British Airways. might be also easier to book the whole trip by this airline as they also provide sin-->london. unless its cheaper by qantas, if not i will try to have lesser hassle. I am petite myself so no worries about leg space, so next yr when i am coming back i will book this airline company.

i think so far hsbc is the best offer, but i think someone mentioned barclays... not sure about whether they have that in scotland.

my accommodation starts on 1st sept (sat) and freshers week on 3rd sept. sch term on 10 sept (following monday). so i guess its best i arrive few days earlier to settle the important things, so i don't need to worry about attending to my parents when i am on freshers week.

Which travel agent did you sign up with? The prices are the same between Qantas and British Airway. But you get to sit on an AirBus compared to the pathetic Boeing which doesn't have a comfortable leg room for you.

Original post by dlsy
U mean yr parents not planning to entertain themselves? Like taking a short trip to London etc ?

Have not queried; will check with them.

since u would still need to fly there, why not just go there and open student account. a lot of privileges and benefits too. save all the hassle right... some more with 200k inside your bank account, who knows if u will kenna something like the dbs hacking drama.. and the most important thing is which bank have atm in your uni.

What incentive does a student account gives you? Does the local HSBC provides such account? I'm beginning to lose faith on them as they have not answered my query.

Original post by dlsy
I think u can find what u need to know - the uni of Edinburgh's website

giffgaff...is the network coverage good?..

http://www.google.com.sg/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=any+complain+on+coverage+using+giffgaff

Well, from what I have gathered, it is operated by O2, and the network coverage is pretty decent from what I see in the below link.

http://support.giffgaff.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/112/~/how-do-i-check-coverage%3F
Reply 3330

thanks for the info, will be useful although i am not going to edinburgh uni.

Original post by kenryou
Which travel agent did you sign up with? The prices are the same between Qantas and British Airway. But you get to sit on an AirBus compared to the pathetic Boeing which doesn't have a comfortable leg room for you.

What incentive does a student account gives you? Does the local HSBC provides such account? I'm beginning to lose faith on them as they have not answered my query.

just wondering if i would need to haul my luggages out during the stopover as i switch from qantas to british airways... the agency i checked with so far isn't that cheap, so i am still looking around. but i heard that there should not be any difficulties getting a ticket 2 weeks before travel date as the time we are traveling falls on the lunar seventh month and out of holiday period.

haven't yet check in details about hsbc as i am currently busy, but i heard they waive certain charges and the banks are commonly seen around, so if there is any problems, u don't need to hunt down the place to look for an outlet.
Reply 3331
Original post by kenryou

Have not queried; will check with them.

Well, from what I have gathered, it is operated by O2, and the network coverage is pretty decent from what I see in the below link.

http://support.giffgaff.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/112/~/how-do-i-check-coverage%3F

Oh..I used O2 when I was there many years ago.:smile:
What mobile phone network would people recommend for living in Singapore? :smile:
I'm not bothered about internet browsing on my phone, just plenty of texts and a few calls. I have an unlocked phone that should work in Singapore so just need a SIM card from a network out in Singapore. Thanks!
Leicester in Sept 2012 anyone?
Reply 3334
thanks for the info, will be useful although i am not going to edinburgh uni.

just wondering if i would need to haul my luggages out during the stopover as i switch from qantas to british airways... the agency i checked with so far isn't that cheap, so i am still looking around. but i heard that there should not be any difficulties getting a ticket 2 weeks before travel date as the time we are traveling falls on the lunar seventh month and out of holiday period.

haven't yet check in details about hsbc as i am currently busy, but i heard they waive certain charges and the banks are commonly seen around, so if there is any problems, u don't need to hunt down the place to look for an outlet.

I'm not sure regarding the transfer of luggage but it doesn't take much effort in transferring the luggage. But I will check with the Airline when I book my ticket(s).

HSBC got back to me and have directed my enquiries to a relevant department; waiting for response; will let you know the outcome!

Original post by GingerGoat
What mobile phone network would people recommend for living in Singapore? :smile:
I'm not bothered about internet browsing on my phone, just plenty of texts and a few calls. I have an unlocked phone that should work in Singapore so just need a SIM card from a network out in Singapore. Thanks!

The coverage of Singtel is very good and the service they provide are value for money.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3335
Original post by kenryou
I'm not sure regarding the transfer of luggage but it doesn't take much effort in transferring the luggage. But I will check with the Airline when I book my ticket(s).

HSBC got back to me and have directed my enquiries to a relevant department; waiting for response; will let you know the outcome!

The coverage of Singtel is very good and the service they provide are value for money.

Nay, they are not as good as b4.

Fyi,
(1)On certain expressways, no reception at all.
(2)When I'm on the MRT(train) the reception is so bad . Used to be good, but now whenever my niece/friends call within MRT, their calls will be disrupted.
I guess way too many ppl in sg, service providers are not giving us what we "subscribed" esp those broadband speed.:rolleyes:
Original post by kenryou

Danke dir :yep:
Btw if you have any more questions about living in Scotland feel free to ask :h:

Another question: Does anyone know how long it takes to get a visa to go to Singapore? Is it a difficult process?
Reply 3337
Original post by dlsy
Nay, they are not as good as b4.

Fyi,
(1)On certain expressways, no reception at all.
(2)When I'm on the MRT(train) the reception is so bad . Used to be good, but now whenever my niece/friends call within MRT, their calls will be disrupted.
I guess way too many ppl in sg, service providers are not giving us what we "subscribed" esp those broadband speed.:rolleyes:

Not from what I have experienced. I am using a 2G military phone,

1. I can receive signal on expressway where my car even received.
2. Never encountered before. In addition, when I'm training in the western live-firing area, my peers who use other network provider can't even receive any signal whereas I'm still able to receive mine.

So I have no complaint over it :smile:

Original post by GingerGoat
Danke dir :yep:
Btw if you have any more questions about living in Scotland feel free to ask :h:

Another question: Does anyone know how long it takes to get a visa to go to Singapore? Is it a difficult process?

Great! I will!

According to this and this, you do not seem to need to apply a visa, but if you do, it will take roughly 2 to 15days. I recommend you to drop them an email to clarify on this matter.
Reply 3338
Original post by kenryou
Not from what I have experienced. I am using a 2G military phone,

1. I can receive signal on expressway where my car even received.
2. Never encountered before. In addition, when I'm training in the western live-firing area, my peers who use other network provider can't even receive any signal whereas I'm still able to receive mine.

So I have no complaint over it :smile:

Great! I will!

According to this and this, you do not seem to need to apply a visa, but if you do, it will take roughly 2 to 15days. I recommend you to drop them an email to clarify on this matter.

do u think Gingergoat can this service too?:biggrin:
Anyway..u thin u will get better service if u complain in Sg?..lol..NOPE!
(edited 11 years ago)
Any Singaporeans going to university of Dundee? Or are studying there now? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest