The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyburns
Yes people say too often its the schools fault they failed, but sometimes it genuinley is. Well done for your GCSE's. But to be honest I put the work and effort in for my GCSE's and came out will all A-C's yeah i might not have achieved x amount of A*/A's and that was down to my school. Like you I go to a school that has been in special measures for the past 3 years and only just got out in January, it also moved school sites twice and merged with another school as I started year 10, in January 2011 as I was sitting some of my exams my school moved to its new site therefore disrupting my education as until the easter half our school material (textbooks, coursework ect) was missing. I was taught by teachers who weren't even qualified to teach at GCSE level. I know fine well i put all the effort and work I could into passing, but only so much can be done when your not educated to a good standard, if i had attended the secondary school across the road I would have been able to achieve highere grades for sure. I think its all too often for people to judge the people who say its their schools fault they failed because in some cases it is.

There will be no difference for the selection process for Cambridge summer school considering it is all done through the same program therefore the aim to encourage people from less priveldged homes will be the main factor not grades.
I think everyone who applied on the scheme is considering Russell Group universitys otherwise there would be no point taking part in the scheme. Im just saying it wouldn't be fair for the universitys to brush some one aside because of their GCSE grades as at the end of the day they aren't the most important facture. :smile:

Woah!!!! With that kind of turmoil it's a wonder you passed let alone got reasonably good grades. Honestly congratulations you must have put some real work into that.:eek:
Reply 901
Original post by Academic Beth
Woah!!!! With that kind of turmoil it's a wonder you passed let alone got reasonably good grades. Honestly congratulations you must have put some real work into that.:eek:

Yeah it was kind of a bad situation, thank you :smile:
Yes people say too often its the schools fault they failed, but sometimes it genuinley is. Well done for your GCSE's. But to be honest I put the work and effort in for my GCSE's and came out will all A-C's yeah i might not have achieved x amount of A*/A's and that was down to my school. Like you I go to a school that has been in special measures for the past 3 years and only just got out in January, it also moved school sites twice and merged with another school as I started year 10, in January 2011 as I was sitting some of my exams my school moved to its new site therefore disrupting my education as until the easter half our school material (textbooks, coursework ect) was missing. I was taught by teachers who weren't even qualified to teach at GCSE level. I know fine well i put all the effort and work I could into passing, but only so much can be done when your not educated to a good standard, if i had attended the secondary school across the road I would have been able to achieve highere grades for sure. I think its all too often for people to judge the people who say its their schools fault they failed because in some cases it is.

There will be no difference for the selection process for Cambridge summer school considering it is all done through the same program therefore the aim to encourage people from less priveldged homes will be the main factor not grades.
I think everyone who applied on the scheme is considering Russell Group universitys otherwise there would be no point taking part in the scheme. Im just saying it wouldn't be fair for the universitys to brush some one aside because of their GCSE grades as at the end of the day they aren't the most important facture. :smile:

Some very good points made here :biggrin:
Reply 903
I'm aware that it doesn't but currently your GCSE results are all the academic information they have to go on. Cambridge have stated in the past that they prefer not to listen to school predictions as they are not always very acurate. Come October when we apply with our actual AS results GCSE's won't matter that much but now they very much do.

Not sure if it's the same at your school but generally are predicted grades are lower then what they're really expecting just for the fact it covers them. For example they predict me a B when they really think I'm capable of an A incase I don't get that A, also If I do get the A they can say ''I'm a great teacher, I got this B student an A.''

Also I know, as I do all essay based subjects, marking in mocks/practices are very harshly as if they were the harshest marker, when in reality your more likely to get a lenient marker as opposed to a harsh one.

GCSE grades are taken into account evidently as one of the criteria is 5 A's however I do think its important they encourage students who would not typically apply E.G Neither parents went, low achieving school. The scheme would effectively be a waste of their money if they allocated all the places to students who they know will achieve the A-levels and apply next year anyway.

Alot of it also is the university basically saying ''Look at us, we promote equality and give everyone an equal chance.'' As opposed to only allocating places to those who achieved the very best grades at GCSE. Which in my experience don't really reflect A-level; I know quite a few people in my year with 3 A*s in science at GCSE who are currently on E's and U's and vice versa.
Original post by 06aclark
I know quite a few people in my year with 3 A*s in science at GCSE who are currently on E's and U's and vice versa.

Very true I got 3A*'s at GCSE in the sciences I now take Chemistry and am barely getting a C. As to the predicted grades I find that at my school they are ridiculously high. I've been predicted A*s across the board next year and I know without a doubt that there is not a chance in hell that I'll actually get that. The difference between GCSE and A-level is just too high and by taking 6 A-levels I have split myself far too thinly.
Okay I've already posted on this thread under a different account but this is my new account if anyone wants to talk about the summer school :smile: eep I'm excited!

I've been accepted to Durham (either Anthropology or English... my acceptance letter didn't say)
hi
has anyone been accepted for the nottingham summer school ?
if yes, what courses ?

:smile:
Original post by ashleyemtate
Okay I've already posted on this thread under a different account but this is my new account if anyone wants to talk about the summer school :smile: eep I'm excited!

I've been accepted to Durham (either Anthropology or English... my acceptance letter didn't say)

Hello I'm doing Languages but still I am going to Durham, I'm so excited I never thought I'd get in!!!:biggrin: Slightly nervous though are you? :smile:
Reply 908
Good luck everyone who has applied to Cambridge, let's hope that we all get home from sixth form/college tomorrow to find our acceptance letters waiting for us :biggrin:

OPTIMISM!
Reply 909
Very true I got 3A*'s at GCSE in the sciences I now take Chemistry and am barely getting a C. As to the predicted grades I find that at my school they are ridiculously high. I've been predicted A*s across the board next year and I know without a doubt that there is not a chance in hell that I'll actually get that. The difference between GCSE and A-level is just too high and by taking 6 A-levels I have split myself far too thinly.

6 :eek: I take three as most uni's I looked at don't require a 4th at AS so I deemed it surplus to requirments, might live to regret it but didn't see the point at the time. By doing three I thought I'd be able to dedicate more time to each subject but the lack of time I dedicate to any of them is worrying. Somewhat a master of procrastination.

Got two weeks until my exams, I've got 5 (3 on one day) So think I'll literally be doing nothing apart from solid revision, plus I have this summer school to look forward to after!
Reply 910
Original post by blackroses19
hi
has anyone been accepted for the nottingham summer school ?
if yes, what courses ?

:smile:

Yeah I got a place on the Law and Politics strand, what about you?
Reply 911
6 :eek: I take three as most uni's I looked at don't require a 4th at AS so I deemed it surplus to requirments, might live to regret it but didn't see the point at the time. By doing three I thought I'd be able to dedicate more time to each subject but the lack of time I dedicate to any of them is worrying. Somewhat a master of procrastination.

Got two weeks until my exams, I've got 5 (3 on one day) So think I'll literally be doing nothing apart from solid revision, plus I have this summer school to look forward to after!

I have eleven exams! Eleven. And the last one isn't until June 25th (we do some pretty late in NI) , a full month after one guy, who will be finished on May 25th. Take solace in my pain.
Reply 912
If the women on the phone was right....then its approximately 14 hours till we get letters ( my post comes at around 12) :biggrin:
Reply 913
Original post by cjd2k
I have eleven exams! Eleven. And the last one isn't until June 25th (we do some pretty late in NI) , a full month after one guy, who will be finished on May 25th. Take solace in my pain.

My last is May 22nd, I feel for you! Why can't I just be one of those ****ers who don't need to revise and just aces all the exams! Sadly not the case, If I want to get A's these next two weeks are gonna be very very dire.
Reply 914
Original post by cjd2k

awww unlucky i have 7 exams but onli 4 exams days. (3 on same day and 2 on same day) and i start may 16th and finish 25th may. You guys....I can'y rely on day before revision like at GCSE's....exams are too close together :frown:
Reply 915
I was going apply for the Cambridge one but decided against it on the fact my grades are not the best, by the looks of this forum everyone under the sun has applied for Cambridge.

Went to Cambridge during the Easter half term for basically the same thing but over two days rather than a week, and it was more broad subject range, but it was quality! Makes me want to go to university already, there really laid back and let you do whatever to some extent. Check in by 10pm at night but your still free to be in friends room's etc until whenever. Whoever gets a place is very lucky, the two days I spent there went so quick, a week would have been so much better!
I got accepted for english at Durham!! 2 others from my school also got accepted for Durham on other courses :smile:

Hello I got accepted at Durham too:smile: what were the other courses, I got accepted onto modern languages :smile: Well done on getting accepted!!!!:biggrin:
Reply 917
Original post by kitkat19
awww unlucky i have 7 exams but onli 4 exams days. (3 on same day and 2 on same day) and i start may 16th and finish 25th may. You guys....I can'y rely on day before revision like at GCSE's....exams are too close together :frown:

Don't know about you but at GCSE I rarely revised, just flicked through the book and still got some good grades, nothing amazing but good. The main reason I didn't revise is because it was a safety net if I done bad, I could just say ''Well I didn't revise'' but at A-level theres no question that no revision equals bad grades!
Original post by kitkat19
Yeah we defoo picked the coolest subjects...although the AQA economics exam is really hard and is kinda ruining my enjoyment of it:frown: what exam board do you do?

I've started to lose interest in economics, because of how maths based (and therefore fun) my other subjects are.
I'm with OCR for Maths and Economics and doing AQA A for Physics.

We're about two weeks from finishing to learn the Physics content - yes we're screwed.
Reply 919
Don't know about you but at GCSE I rarely revised, just flicked through the book and still got some good grades, nothing amazing but good. The main reason I didn't revise is because it was a safety net if I done bad, I could just say ''Well I didn't revise'' but at A-level theres no question that no revision equals bad grades!

Ye i got good grades without revising....just flicked throught revision guides the day b4 like I said above :wink: ...because of how many eams i have on the same day i won't have time to do any quick refreshes b4 the exams....just have to do solid revison there 2 weeks. Did you get good grades in your january exams?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending