The Student Room Group

Favourite Daily Newspaper

Poll

Favourite Daily

TSR, what is your favourite daily Newspaper?

These will be Nation-Wide papers not local ones.

Also includes sister papers such as the Independent's "the I" paper
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The Guardian, having been brought up on it, but I rarely buy it. Their website is really good though, and my boyfriend does freelance work for them.
Reply 2
The ol' currant bun is my standard go-to paper but more out of habit then anything. An entertaining quick read.

That said, we get most of the major papers (sans the red tops which I have to provide myself) at work and I also look at the Independent, the Times and the Guardian on occaision.
The Grauniad, for the interesting commentaries and great reporting on environmental issues as well as science and technology (when not conflated with the former, a la nuclear power where opinion is frequently confused with fact).

I also read the Independent for world news stories, but I'm less keen on the opinion pieces there these days, and the Telegraph, although I hate people like James Delingpole with an unbridled passion and mostly just read it to see what the enemy is thinking, and to laugh at the whinging in the comment threads about immigrants, wind turbines and low house prices.

And yes, the Daily Mail. It's hard to avoid, even my built in DM-blocker extension in Chrome is not foolproof. Mostly for the 1 in 50 stories that the DM runs which are totally missed out on by the broadsheets.

When I say read, what I really mean is that I browse the websites briefly in the mornings.
The Telegraph. It's sensible and conservative.

Don't really mind the Independent though. The Guardian as you might imagine I'm not such a fan of.

Don't know if you're able to change this but 'Telegraph' is misspelled in the poll by the way.
Reply 5
Original post by Dux_Helvetica
The Telegraph. It's sensible and conservative.

Don't really mind the Independent though. The Guardian as you might imagine I'm not such a fan of.

Don't know if you're able to change this but 'Telegraph' is misspelled in the poll by the way.

You're right, OP it's T-O-R-YGRAPH.

You also seemed to spell the Grauniad like the word Guardian, they try and avoid that if they can.

Personally I read the websites of all the broadsheets other than the Times (not paying for it, Murdoch can jog), the Sieg Mail website for the comedy comments section and Mirror for errrm the football transfer rumours :s-smilie:. In terms of agreeing with them tends to be the Guardian.

Jim Hacker explains it well.
(edited 11 years ago)
The Guardian and the Independent mainly.

I go out of my way to avoid the garbage in the red-tops, the Daily Heil and the Torygraph's political bias is not something I could read and the Express irritates me - Diana's dead, get the **** over it. Oh, and the Times is owned by Rupert Murdoch, and there's no way he's seeing one penny from my wallet.
Reply 7
I'm a Telegraph girl.
Reply 8
Sorry about that guys, I can't change it (Telagraph instead of Telegraph) and I realised right after I put the poll up
Reply 9
The Metro coz its free!
The I for me: i find the independent too wordy, but the journalistic quality is good, so the I makes a good compromise. Failing that, I'm a fan of the Guardian
The Guardian. :yy:

If I was back home I'd sometimes get the Eastern Daily Press and I actually quite like the Evening Standard when I'm in London.

Sometimes I read The Metro on the bus to work but ... god it's such utter dreck.
The Telegraph, reflects my political views, and unlike The Times, I can read their website without paying.

Although, when I buy a physical paper to say read on a train journey I buy The Times due to it's more practical form.
Reply 13
The Guardian, although I haven't bought a physical newspaper in years.
Since they closed their website to free access i've not read as much, but The Times is by far the best.
The Times is my favourite, however I can rarely afford it. It is sufficiently civil libertarian and economically right wing, which matches my own views.

My lack of funds does inevitably end up with me reading a mixture of the Guardian and Telegraph online, mostly the Guardian. Though I ignore the laughable CiF section.
Reply 16
the i

where are you
Reply 17
The Times. Both habit and the fact it only cost 25p while at uni.

Couldn't give two hoots that it's Murdoch owned, they criticise and mock him and Sky just as much as any other paper bar Private Eye.
Reply 18
The Independent, I guess out of habit.
Reply 19
No metro?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending