Scroll to see replies

For the relative atomic mass, I got 85.6

For the equation which makes BCl3, I got B + 1.5Cl2 --> BCl3

For all of the calculations near the end, I got:
1) 2.81 g
2) 2.21 moldm^-3
3) 8.98% or something like that
4) B2Cl4

I mucked up that equation near the end about sodium borate. What was that about :confused:

And was it just me, or ws there waayy too much on bonding? Not much electronegativity, hydrogen bonding, nothing on catalytic converters, not much on shapes..

On the whole, there was lots of calculations and explaining high melting points etc. And some on periodicity and organic chem. I found it okayish, harder than usual though

Hopefully grade boundaries are low :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I had absolutely no idea for the reagent so I just put h2o :/

Did you put the use of Y as camping fuel?
what was the electronic configuration ?
Reply 543
any1 got the paper?
Original post by berryripple
How many marks will I get for dividing by 6 instead of 5 in the gas calculation if I did everything else correctly?

Probs 3/5 because you'll get one for rearranging the equation, one for putting te right numbers in and one for Timsing moles by Mr to get mass.
I forgot to divide it at all! I got a bit carried away. Oh well :frown:

Original post by Abbieastoria

Hmm I wrote just h2, but i think it's h2so4

And erm, i just wrote 'fuel' lol, hopefully they accept that :colondollar:

I got the reagent as H2 ;o and for Y I had no idea, just put Petrol.
Reply 547
Original post by jodiedoodles
Aaah I put titanium was hexagonal close packed structure, as it said it had bonding similar to magnesium which is hexagonal close packed :frown:

Magnesium is metallic too? positive ions surrounded by a see of delocaliused electrons? Im sure its graphite which is arranged into hexagonal layers not magnesium with vdv forces holding the sheets together.

Reply 548
Original post by Philippamalko
for the 14.06g one did you not divide the number of moles found with pv=nrt by 5 as it was the moles for all the gases produced (5 molecules) and use that to find out the mass? i got around 14g the first time then read the question again and got around 2g or something

Was probably my mistake then, hopefully 3 or 4 out of 5 for method?

I put H2S04 for that one.
And i'm pretty sure it is a (camping) fuel, although I didn't write that myself. I was a bit of an idiot and just wrote 'used to make polymers' lol.
Wasn't thinking straight.
Reply 550
Well, I thought that was without doubt the hardest unit 1 test from all the past papers. Clearly there has been a massive change from before the Jan paper, in terms of difficulty of the test. The formula for sodium borate is Na2B4O7... Lets be honest ... who got lucky?
what do you think the grade boundary for an A will be on this exam?
Reply 552
and i think the reagent was H2... yes ok you could get it using common knowledge but even so, the reaction to go from alkenes to alkanes is not on the unit 1 syllabus!!!
I think it's like when you harden vegetable oils (or somin like that)...
Original post by neeloo
Magnesium is metallic too? positive ions surrounded by a see of delocaliused electrons? Im sure its graphite which is arranged into hexagonal layers not magnesium with vdv forces holding the sheets together.

Oh dear :frown: I thought graphite was giant covalent (macromolecular) structure, and zinc and magnesium had a hexagonal close packed structure? :frown:
Original post by berryripple
It's a shame that this unit, the easier one, is worth less than the disgustingly difficult one :frown:

well thats why its worth less, as its easier.
Original post by Mystic Creature

Hmm I wrote just h2, but i think it's h2so4

And erm, i just wrote 'fuel' lol, hopefully they accept that :colondollar:

It is H2, its just hydrogenation!
For the concentration question I did have 2.21 but then I realised the question said that the volume was 500cm3 of solution, not of hcl. So I divided 500 by 4 then timsed by 3 as it was a 3:1 ratio and got 2.95

But everyone seems to have put 2.21 I just stop thinking so much and go with my initial answer. What a nightmare
Original post by mulac1
Well, I thought that was without doubt the hardest unit 1 test from all the past papers. Clearly there has been a massive change from before the Jan paper, in terms of difficulty of the test. The formula for sodium borate is Na2B4O7... Lets be honest ... who got lucky?

How the hell was anyone supposed to know the formula of it?! lol!
Reply 558
it was 53/70 for an a in jan, and i'd say this exam was about the same difficulty if not harder. I think it all depends on how generous they are on those long answer moles calculations in terms of marks for working.
Original post by Philippamalko
what do you think the grade boundary for an A will be on this exam?

im expecting it to be high around 58-60 Im guessing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending