The Student Room Group

AQA english/english language unit 1 revision help

need help with this exam on the 29th of may and need tips on how to revise becuase i really dont know how and it is quite hard as i got a B the last time sooo yeh.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is that the English Language one? I'm doing it too!!
My advice is to do all the past papers on the AQA website under timed conditions. That way, you'll be able to get an idea of how much you can write in what time. Also read through the mark scheme thoroughly-the examiners are looking for very specific things.
My teacher gave us some amazing resource materials, it explains exactly what they want and how to analyse and write an essay on an article. I'm sure that if you ask your teacher, s/he will be able to provide you with some material.
Good luck!!!!!!!!
Reply 2
thnx but my problem is timing in the exam as i dont finish all the questions and its really quite hard if i had more time would probably get a*
Original post by kish667
thnx but my problem is timing in the exam as i dont finish all the questions and its really quite hard if i had more time would probably get a*

I'm doing this exam too. Timing is exactly my problem too.
So that's what you need to work on..writing under timed conditions.
Reply 4
yeh but isnt there anything else besides past papers as there arent that many available and i know i will finish doing all of them
Original post by x-Sophie-x
I'm doing this exam too. Timing is exactly my problem too.
So that's what you need to work on..writing under timed conditions.
Original post by kish667
yeh but isnt there anything else besides past papers as there arent that many available and i know i will finish doing all of them

Well I have 5 to practice on, which is plenty for me.
Reply 6
We had an exam on this in january but i got a d :frown: but we still have another chance at it on the 29th what should i do because overall i want to get atleast a B in english language. does anyone know what mark it is ????
Reply 7
The marks are C= 60% B=70% A=80% and A*=90+%
I am doing this exam as well, i think past papers under times conditions is good, but is there anything else you could do??
Reply 9
revise the questions and look at a* model answers as they will help u know what to write in the exam
Original post by cardigansandjeans
I am doing this exam as well, i think past papers under times conditions is good, but is there anything else you could do??
Reply 10
where did u get those and if u got them online can u get me the links or if u know any sites execpt aqa cuse my weak section is the writing section and i need practise thnx
Reply 11

Can you send them to me, please??????????????? I have onlt got Jan 2011 and Jan 2012, so can you please send me the others
Original post by A193
Can you send them to me, please??????????????? I have onlt got Jan 2011 and Jan 2012, so can you please send me the others

I'm sorry I can't since they are hard copies given to me by my English teacher.
Just ask your teacher since they have been given specifications by the exam board.
Original post by rali
Is that the English Language one? I'm doing it too!!
My advice is to do all the past papers on the AQA website under timed conditions. That way, you'll be able to get an idea of how much you can write in what time. Also read through the mark scheme thoroughly-the examiners are looking for very specific things.
My teacher gave us some amazing resource materials, it explains exactly what they want and how to analyse and write an essay on an article. I'm sure that if you ask your teacher, s/he will be able to provide you with some material.
Good luck!!!!!!!!

These aren't electronic resources by any chance are they? Or would it be possible for you to scan them? Don't worry if not :smile:
Does anyone know where the texts for the higher June 2011 paper are? Annoyingly, AQA hasn't put it up on the website.
Reply 15
I really don't know how to structure the reading questions.

Q1 always states: "What do you learn from the writer's article about......?"
Do we give eight points, by explaing what it it, give an example and what is shows, or 4 PEEAE paragraphs -please help.

Q2 always states: "Explain how the headline, sub-headline and picture are effective and how they link to the text"
The question is out of eight marks, and as they ask us for only 3 things, do we give 3 PEEAE paragraphs (one for headline, one for sub-headline and one for image), and an overall conclusion of everything and how it links with the text as a whole? -please help (btw PEEAE is Point, Evidence, Explain, Analyse, Evaluate)

Q3 always states "Explain some of the thoughts and feelings that the writer has about......?"This question is 8 marks so do we find points, and just say what languaghe device it is, find evidence, what is shows, and the feelings, for 8 of these points of only 4?

Q4 is my worst, it asks you to refer to Source 3 and compare how language is used for effect in either Sources 1 or 2, comparing with Source3.

Do we give 8 points, comparing/contarsting thw language devices, and why its effective?

Please give me some tips because I don't a bad grade in this harsh exam
can anyone tell me where i can find A* model answers?
im doing that exam too! havent even started revising though....
Reply 18
How come i can't find the english language june 2011 text paper i can only find the foundation one, my tutition teaxher printed it off but it's in black and white and i cant make out the picture should i just leave the question out?
Reply 19
Hope this will help you lots, shows you what to do in the english language exam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc_c-7ryw7s&feature=fvwrel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending