The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mmmpie
Spotify for Linux is being unreliable this evening :|

I only discovered it existed the other day and I could stop trying (and failing) to run it under Wine, please don't tell me it's failing already ><
Reply 3341
Original post by Revd. Mike
I only discovered it existed the other day and I could stop trying (and failing) to run it under Wine, please don't tell me it's failing already ><

It has good days and bad days. Today has been one of the bad days, although it seems to have settled down a bit now.
Waterloo was fun. I get there, just missed my train because of a late connection. I stand there figuring out what my options are and I get assaulted on the concourse by a crazy bitch wielding a cheeseburger. Now covered in ketchup. Then, I get on my train and sit down next to a parcel that's unattended. ****ing great. Went to go find the man to make him aware of it. He happily follows protocol (not) and opens the parcel in front of me. Luckily it was empty and he said... "no harm done, thanks for telling me though..."

****ing great.
Original post by dbmag9
It's not even that; he's not someone I hang out really anyway, and there's a (straight) couple in my friend group which doesn't bother me. I guess it's when it's guys in the same sort of position as me getting coupled up while I'm hanging around having no lovelife to speak of that it brings out the angsty in me. Ah well.

I get this sometimes as well. I've gotten over it now. Anshug usually makes everything better :hugs:
Reply 3344
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
When I went back to uni from Easter break its bad enough I have a 7 hour journey with the longest and final leg of it being 3h15 on an Arriva service. I got on at the departure point, the next stop people were standing, but by the time we arrived in Wolvo they packed it to the point where a) one couldn't breathe b) I was going to be sick since it was so hot and crowded c) Happened to be on football day, if I'd known this I would have got the Sunday 4pm train and not the 6pm train d) mainly fans got on the train, and there were students wanting to get on as they like me had to be back the next day (I had no problems with the fans at all, they were all fine, its just the train companies should know roughly when unis are going back and they should accommodate for that with more carriages). By the time we arrived at Telford we had to stop to give people air (Nobody wanted to get on), however arrive at Shrewsbury where we were scheduled for a break, we were told an additional 2 carriages would be added, making it a 4 coach train instead of 2 (which it normally is). However, all the footie fans got off and they weren't really needed. Thankfully the final 2 hours of that journey passed ok, but those first 80 minutes were terrible! We didn't get an inspector over to us until we crossed over into the Welsh side of the border. So in comparison no other train company has been bad at all. Thankfully the journey back to Wolverhampton on the way home was fine, no problem at all.

Heheheheh, the Aber-Brum train, that's one of the only things I miss about not being at uni any more :tongue:.
Original post by Crisps
Heheheheh, the Aber-Brum train, that's one of the only things I miss about not being at uni any more :tongue:.

When did you graduate and what in? Interpol, Geog or something else. I've heard Geog is like 2nd biggest or biggest department but I know barely any Geog students at all, whereas I know loads of Interpol (though its not my subject)
When I went back to uni from Easter break its bad enough I have a 7 hour journey with the longest and final leg of it being 3h15 on an Arriva service. I got on at the departure point, the next stop people were standing, but by the time we arrived in Wolvo they packed it to the point where a) one couldn't breathe b) I was going to be sick since it was so hot and crowded c) Happened to be on football day, if I'd known this I would have got the Sunday 4pm train and not the 6pm train d) mainly fans got on the train, and there were students wanting to get on as they like me had to be back the next day (I had no problems with the fans at all, they were all fine, its just the train companies should know roughly when unis are going back and they should accommodate for that with more carriages). By the time we arrived at Telford we had to stop to give people air (Nobody wanted to get on), however arrive at Shrewsbury where we were scheduled for a break, we were told an additional 2 carriages would be added, making it a 4 coach train instead of 2 (which it normally is). However, all the footie fans got off and they weren't really needed. Thankfully the final 2 hours of that journey passed ok, but those first 80 minutes were terrible! We didn't get an inspector over to us until we crossed over into the Welsh side of the border. So in comparison no other train company has been bad at all. Thankfully the journey back to Wolverhampton on the way home was fine, no problem at all.

I've had journeys like that on CrossCountry :colonhash:

They really should anticipate this demand better and lay on more coaches.
Reply 3347
When did you graduate and what in? Interpol, Geog or something else. I've heard Geog is like 2nd biggest or biggest department but I know barely any Geog students at all, whereas I know loads of Interpol (though its not my subject)

Geog, 4 years ago :colonhash: What do you do?
Original post by Mad Vlad
I've had journeys like that on CrossCountry :colonhash:

They really should anticipate this demand better and lay on more coaches.

How? There aren't hundreds and hundreds of spare carriages sitting around doing nothing sadly, and many trains such as the ones XC use are in fixed formation so cannot be lengthened. Virgin are the ones to blame though, before Arriva took over they replaced 7/8 carriage trains with 4/5 carriage ones.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Reply 3348
AARGH EXAMS ARE IN LIKE A WEEK AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO MATHS **** **** ****.

Original post by crazylemon
Thats me too. My solution this summer was to spend my time travelling the world with a lesbian. Wait a minute I don't think I have worked this one out...foreveralone

Original post by anshul95
I get this sometimes as well. I've gotten over it now. Anshug usually makes everything better :hugs:

Aww, thanks guys.
Last exam in 2 hours. I don't care anymore. I wish it started now.

Good luck! :woo: :danceboy: :woo:

Good luck :biggrin:
Anyone going to bradford uni in september? X

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Original post by Crisps
How? There aren't hundreds and hundreds of spare carriages sitting around doing nothing sadly, and many trains such as the ones XC use are in fixed formation so cannot be lengthened. Virgin are the ones to blame though, before Arriva took over they replaced 7/8 carriage trains with 4/5 carriage ones.

It demonstrates a chronic lack of investment. The line to Bournemouth is always stupidly busy - the last time I used that service to come back to the South East, I couldn't even get in the carriage - I was stuck in the vestibule opening the toilet door for people until Reading. What a joke.

If they've not got enough rolling stock, then they need to purchase more. The limitations of the Class 220/221 sets are pretty annoying, but Virgin's use of their sets seems more appropriate; coupling two sets together and splitting them further along the line.
Reply 3354
Original post by Mad Vlad
It demonstrates a chronic lack of investment. The line to Bournemouth is always stupidly busy - the last time I used that service to come back to the South East, I couldn't even get in the carriage - I was stuck in the vestibule opening the toilet door for people until Reading. What a joke.

If they've not got enough rolling stock, then they need to purchase more. The limitations of the Class 220/221 sets are pretty annoying, but Virgin's use of their sets seems more appropriate; coupling two sets together and splitting them further along the line.

It's all to do with the DfT. It's them who decide what trains go where, unfortunately. Train companies can't just go out and buy some new trains. Some franchises such as Northern and Arriva Trains Wales are not even allowed to apply for new trains, they have to make do with cascades from other operators. So, even though we have a privatised railway, the government still has a heck of a say in the running of the whole thing.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Reply 3355
This might be the best thing.

Original post by dbmag9
This might be the best thing.

I think it is. :awesome:
Freedom.
Starts with a quad pimms for half price because The bar women is lovely. Now to head home to sort out the BBQ
Freedom.
Starts with a quad pimms for half price because The bar women is lovely. Now to head home to sort out the BBQ

:woo: well done :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App
I want my results so much, getting a bit sick of all the medics on facebook boasting about passing 1st year.

Latest