The Student Room Group

nottingham trent vs uni of reading vs sheffield hallam uni

studying psychology bsc. assuming i get offers for all, i will be completely stuck for which one to choose, so i'm posting this now.

whilst academics are extremely important to me, i have greatly lacked a good social life for a very long time and so that's my priority in which uni i choose to be honest. i'm looking for somewhere with both a pub and club culture, lots to do, cute restaurants and cafe's, and a decent lgbt presence (im bisexual so don't really want to be dealing with homophobia, and would be nice to have some lgbt friends). i know these are things sheffield all have, but hallam's reputation on league tables is quite shocking.

liked reading when i visited, loved that the accom was in such green areas, and the SU was phenomenal, but the psych department wasn't very modern and reminded me of secondary school - i've also heard the actual town of reading is dead, not much to do, with repetitive nightlife (all things i rly don't want). ntu was a lot more modern which i liked, but having accom dumped right in the thick of a city could be overwhelming and lacking comfort, i'm not sure. i've also heard the 'trent girls' stereotypes and (with peace and love) i'm rly not a fan of hookup culture and i tend to be more reserved, so idk if i'd struggle to make friends.

thoughts?
Original post by Anonymous #1
studying psychology bsc. assuming i get offers for all, i will be completely stuck for which one to choose, so i'm posting this now.

whilst academics are extremely important to me, i have greatly lacked a good social life for a very long time and so that's my priority in which uni i choose to be honest. i'm looking for somewhere with both a pub and club culture, lots to do, cute restaurants and cafe's, and a decent lgbt presence (im bisexual so don't really want to be dealing with homophobia, and would be nice to have some lgbt friends). i know these are things sheffield all have, but hallam's reputation on league tables is quite shocking.

liked reading when i visited, loved that the accom was in such green areas, and the SU was phenomenal, but the psych department wasn't very modern and reminded me of secondary school - i've also heard the actual town of reading is dead, not much to do, with repetitive nightlife (all things i rly don't want). ntu was a lot more modern which i liked, but having accom dumped right in the thick of a city could be overwhelming and lacking comfort, i'm not sure. i've also heard the 'trent girls' stereotypes and (with peace and love) i'm rly not a fan of hookup culture and i tend to be more reserved, so idk if i'd struggle to make friends.

thoughts?

Hi,

I looked at Nottingham, too, when applying for universities. The only reason I decided to go to BCU was because it was closer to home. I LOVED Nottingham. I think if you are looking for bar and club culture, wholesome but big city vibes too, then Nottingham is great! It really is for everyone, in my opinion.

You may have done this already, but plan a day trip to Nottingham, Reading or Sheffield. Spend a whole day visiting different cafes, green spaces, bars, etc. Visit the universities on an open day, too! Talk to current students and the Students' Union. It is easy to get sucked in and believe all the stereotypes, but if there is anything I have learned during my time as a student, it is that most of them are entirely wrong.

I wish you all the best.

Anastasia,
Student Rep.

thoughts?

Hi there,

I can only really comment on Sheffield as a city and Hallam and I would say that as you have seen it is great for nightlife but also nice fun things to do during the day.

There are lots of bars and clubs in Sheffield and a lot of them are fairly close together which makes for a fun night out and it is always busy with students whatever day it is! There are also lots of good pubs too and the nightlife in general is great. The student nights on a Wednesday are also really fun and loads of people go and get dressed up with their societies too so it's always a good night. There is also a lgbtq+ society at Hallam which is really popular and well attended.

There are also lots of nice restaurants and cafes throughout the city which I love going to and they are really nice to go to with friends or on your own! If you haven't already been for the day I would suggest going just to look around and seeing what you like about the city and do this with your other options too as this will give you a good sense of what the city is like.
There are also lots of nice accommodations, some more modern than others but it also depends which campus you would be studying at to where you would stay.

I can't comment on Reading or Nottingham but I have definitely heard that Nottingham has a good nightlife scene and it is a nice city too!

I hope this helps and I'm sure whichever uni you choose will be great!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador

thoughts?

Hey @Anonymous,
I'm really glad to hear that you liked your visit to Reading! I also love the green spaces around here, and it makes for a really nice place to study. I wouldn't say that Reading town is dead, but by nature the nightlife here isn't as intense as some other big universities. Nevertheless, we have 7+ clubs in town and our Students Union running Union nights twice a week with different themes and a load of new stuff coming soon, all of which are really popular. Lots of pubs and clubs too - pub golf is a popular society event! There's not too much to do activity-wise in town apart from shopping, eating or visiting the pubs/bars/clubs/cafes/restaurants/cinema/gym in town, but we do have a rock climbing place and a few other unique opportunities, plus you can take a short train journey to nearby Bracknell or even Oxford for more activities like bowling, crazy golf etc. You can learn more about our town centre here! I think societies are a good way to make up for this though, we have lots of activity-based societies (you can find out more about them here, we do have a thriving LGBTQ+ society, and a lot of emphasis on diversity and inclusion across the uni that you can get involved in if you'd like!) that often do field trips or run their own socials and events, so honestly I have always felt that there's loads going on round here! I also love the little cafe's we have in town that are popular spots for studying I think what Reading lacks in terms of nightlife it makes up for with the student body being really interactive and friendly, as well as the involvement of the SU in making sure students' voices are heard in improving things, which they're always doing.

In terms of the Psychology department, I can't speak too much for it as I don't study the subject, but if you mean the buildings themselves, you're unlikely to have every seminar in those blocks - many will also be in our main quad to save you walking! I have a few friends who did the course and found staff really supportive and the facilities and opportunities of the course (such as our on-site NHS clinic with Neurology capabilities) invaluable to their studies, and the course is accredited which makes it worthwhile. However, the most important part of your university experience is the course, so if you're not convinced I would definitely recommend checking out the modules we have on offer, the prospectus page to learn a little more in depth about what you can do with the degree during your time here, and maybe consider chatting to Nesta about the psychology side of her course to get a little more information from a current student's perspective.

I think its worth doing a little more research into each uni to see where you think you'll feel the most comfortable socially and academically, and maybe see if the other universities offer 'chat to our students' functions on their websites to learn a bit more about it from an insider's perspective, and maybe try chatting to mutual/friends who might already go to the uni's you're interested in!

If you have any questions about anything I've said here or anything else, please do ask!
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student
(edited 3 months ago)

thoughts?

Born and raised in Reading. Its okay here. Regarding the town, the only social thing to ever really do here is drink/go clubbing, beyond that there isn't much else to do beyond a few resturant chains and shops.

There is quite a few hidden gems of greenary which are quite nice when you find them (Oracle in Themes Valley business park has a lovely area, and View Island near Caversham is quite cozy in the summer).

Reading Uni campus is quite fun to explore as well and the student bar is cheap.

Thats about it really. Lovely location, not much to do here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending