The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

LGBTQ+ students at Lancaster?

Hi! I’m trans and hopefully I’ll be starting at Lancaster in October. I wanted to ask what support is available for LGBTQ+ students? Is there an active LGBTQ+ Society I could join (I read on Reddit that the societies were a bit dead)? If so, what’s it like? Is it easy to meet people? It’d be awesome if someone could help because I’m terrified about starting!!
Original post by wilde2005
Hi! I’m trans and hopefully I’ll be starting at Lancaster in October. I wanted to ask what support is available for LGBTQ+ students? Is there an active LGBTQ+ Society I could join (I read on Reddit that the societies were a bit dead)? If so, what’s it like? Is it easy to meet people? It’d be awesome if someone could help because I’m terrified about starting!!

Hi!
Great to hear that you're coming to Lancaster in October!
There is definitely an active LGBTQ+ society, I've added the link to their Students' Union Page below, on there they have links to their Instagram/Facebook so I'd definitely check that out to see what sort of events are running.
https://lancastersu.co.uk/groups/lgbtq-forum
In terms of other support, there's a page on the student portal dedicated to supporting trans students, as well as a more general one for LGBTQ+ students, I've added the links below:
https://portal.lancaster.ac.uk/ask/wellbeing/support/lgbtq-students/trans-students/
https://portal.lancaster.ac.uk/ask/wellbeing/support/lgbtq-students/
There's also a part time officer at the SU for LGBTQ+ students who you can get in contact with to find out about further support or to raise any issues.
As well as the LGBTQ+ society there are tons of other societies from korfball to astronomy to baking which are great places to meet people, and in my experience they've been very inclusive of LGBTQ+ students. Freshers' fair in October at the start of term is a great place to find out about which societies you might be interested in joining.
It's definitely understandable to be anxious about starting university, I was really nervous before my first year but University has been a really great experience for me, there's such a wide diversity of people here so it's a great environment to meet new people and make friends. There's a lot of wellbeing support available for incoming students, such as the college advisor teams, the transitions team who run a lot of wellbeing events and peer support buddies. The important thing to remember when starting uni is that everyone is in the same position, most people don't know anyone else so everyone is happy to chat to you and make friends, especially during the first few weeks.
Good luck with starting university, if you have any more questions just let us know!
Becky
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi! My name is Georgia and I’m a third-year Lancaster University student studying history. I just wanted to say that almost every society I have joined has been very friendly and a nice place to meet people and make friends. I have attended the women’s football, mountaineering, and baking societies and they’ve all been great. I also did taster sessions at some other societies (like caving) which were great too. I don’t know about the LGBTQ+ society, but societies in general are a great way to meet new people and I would recommend trying as many as you can find that you might enjoy.

In terms of LGBTQ+ support, it’s pretty open at Lancaster I’ve found- one of the nightclubs (generation) is technically a LGBTQ+ club and everyone goes there regardless of whether they’re part of the community or not. The small size of Lancaster definitely gives a feeling of safety for all students, and the overall community is largely amazing.
Please reach out with any questions!
Georgia
Reply 3

My daughter goes to Lancaster and is bi. There is a lovely LGBTQ+ society and its popular. Shes just finished third year and she branched off the society with a small group of friends and they have get movie nights at each others houses and pub quizzes. She loves Generation night club and also loves attending Lancaster Pride. Societies in general vary depending on the members there. She was part of the Disney Society which had quite a few people there, and also the physics society. One of her best friends is trans and she tells me that she feels so settled in lancaster and very happy there.
Meeting people wise, definitely join the freshers group on facebook and they can add you to other instant chat groups, and from there even more refined groups such as college group chats, subject group chats. That way when you start, you already have some online friend ships forming and you can arrange to meet up later on in freshers week.
Then when lessons start you can start to form friendships with others studying your subject too.

Flatmates, society friends, subject group friends, LGBTQ+ community, you will be very busy I'm sure :smile:
Reply 4

Hi x hope you get into lancaster im part of the lgbtq+ community and found campus a pretty welcoming place there are societies you can join in relation to the community but its always best to try join with a friend just so you feel more comfortable, they can be dead but always worth a try x in terms of meeting people its fairly easy just try be open to conversations and smile x hope this helps
Hi,

MSci graduate here, I've been at Lancaster for 4 years and found it a very accepting place. There is an active LGBT+ society that puts on lots of different events. Like most societies, the pandemic caused them to shut down for a little bit, but all is back up and running now. The society was definitely a great place to make new LGBT+ friends in first year but all the other societies can be great too. I recommed the hiking society, magic and circus, archery, board game society etc. Every year there is also Lancaster Pride in town and you're not far from Manchester or Blackpool pride either.

I remember being scared to start university for similar reasons, but it all worked out great - everyone here has been very accepting in my personal experience.

Ella :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending